Sign in to follow this  
Cirrus22

VIDEO: PMDG 737NGX Takeoff from Gatwick

1. Flying manually is more fun, it offers more of a challenge, CWS was only used to reduce workload partially, makes it fly kinda like an airbus, at least that was what I was told about FBW on my airbus induction course.... 2. Yes, the YD is left on the whole flight, rudder is still needed but not alot, thats there to keep the pilot aware of how he is flying the plane.... Sorry if that's a bit simple...
1. Flying manually is more fun, it offers more of a challenge, CWS was only used to reduce workload partially, makes it fly kinda like an airbus, at least that was what I was told about FBW on my airbus induction course.... 2. Yes, the YD is left on the whole flight, rudder is still needed but not alot, thats there to keep the pilot aware of how he is flying the plane.... Sorry if that's a bit simple...
Sorry mate, a bit wrong. 1. CWS in reality is never used, it doesn't appear in any procedure (as far as I know, correct me if any company involves it in its procedures). It's the "stupidest" automation level that the aircraft can perform. The only practical use of it is when a CMD disconnects from some reason, it's better to auto-engage CWS until the pilot takes control than to have a completely uncontrolled flight axis. Actually some companies began blocking the CWS engagement buttons (with INOP stickers on them).Fun in the sim is another thing. Irrelevant to professional flight. 2. YD: as a passive system, it has a delay. If you turn nice and slowly, it will catch up and the incoordinated period will be unnoticed, and the turn probobly would be more acurate than the human pilot. If you put your leg in anyway, the YD as a hydraulic powered system will resist you. The rudder is powered by system A+B, the YD is as said in the video correctly is powered by only B (or in STBY RUD flight contols mode by the standby hydraulic system). Thus, you unwillingly create a situation in which you make hydraulic system B or the STBY resist the pressure in system A, thus the system is loaded (not to much, but a bit) for absolutly no reason. So when you have a YD on, whichever hydraulic system is powering it, and you don't make strong manuevers, no need of legs in turns.In the other hand, in case of strong turns (terrain/traffic avoidance, gain of control in single engine operation etc), the YD doesn't keep up and the delay can be felt critically. Thus as the pilot making the turn manually in the stick, you simultaniously put your leg in. Just for the banking moments. When stabilized in a turn, even a strong one, you can leave the leg gently out and the YD will balance and take your place.

Small addition about your comment of the Airbuses: CWS is indeed similar to FBY in actual plane actions, but is really not as used. CWS is like I said, merely a last piece of automated stage between the unintented CMD disconnection and the pilots realizing that and reacting upon.

I still think that the trim wheel is moving not as smooth as it could be, considering the rest of the simulation. Is this fixed in the final release or not? Not a dealbreaker at all, but when the rest is so good, little things like that stand out so much more.
Yeah, the same goes for the flaps lever. It noticed that is just "beams" itself from one notch to the other without a smooth animation

CWS is one of those things I have looked forward to trying out, and to me, from what I have been told about it, sounds like a good way to hand fly the aircraft and not get overwhelmed by the trim. Realistic procedures or not, I do intend to see how it works and if my understanding of what it does, I will use it quite often.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Nice video! Arises a couple of questions from me: 1. To my understanding, turning on the CWS offers autotrim and "bank hold". How often is it normally used? Since Nick said you need to pay a lot of attention into trimming the airplane vs. the MD-11, I would be curious to know why not just turn on the CWS after takeoff? 2. Is the yaw damper normally turned on throughout the flight? So even when flying by hand, you don't need to use any rudder input except in crosswind landings?In MD-11, the YD does not seem to be able to keep the "ball" centered, and I'm wondering if the 737 has actually got the first fully working yaw damper simulation in PMDG (or FS) history?
Nice video! Arises a couple of questions from me: 1. To my understanding, turning on the CWS offers autotrim and "bank hold". How often is it normally used? Since Nick said you need to pay a lot of attention into trimming the airplane vs. the MD-11, I would be curious to know why not just turn on the CWS after takeoff? 2. Is the yaw damper normally turned on throughout the flight? So even when flying by hand, you don't need to use any rudder input except in crosswind landings?In MD-11, the YD does not seem to be able to keep the "ball" centered, and I'm wondering if the 737 has actually got the first fully working yaw damper simulation in PMDG (or FS) history?
Just quoting you again because I saw that the forum notifies you when it happens. Just so you'll see the newer more accurate answer to your question, and perhaps the developement of the thread... :-)

OK, I have been comming to this forum for the past three years without saying almost anything, waiting for this wonderful bird. But now I have to say something, Nick you are just torturing us now Devil.gif . Thanks PMDG for your hard work, this next few days are going to be long, now that we have a date for release is that I'm getting anxious. RaulOrlando, Fl.

Raul

San Juan, P.R..

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, 3.5ghz Ivy Bridge, NvidiaGTX1080, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, 1000w Power supply, Corsair H100 cooler

http://www.youtube.c...75?feature=mhee

Hi all, We've just released another video: http://www.flyaoamed...737ngx-takeoff/ It's just under 50 minutes long, features a quick preflight prior to a raw data takeoff from London Gatwick. I then talk a little about the Yaw Damper - a simple explanation but it shows off some of the finer points of PMDG's simulation nicely. Enjoy!
Great stuff Nick, thanks for the awsome reviews (all of them!). Just a bit about what you didn't know there, the VHF NAV selector, it simply enables (in case one of the VHF NAV 1/2 is down, or either one of its functions ILS/VOR/DME receivers) to allow it's display on the opposite, failed side's displays.Let's say i'm Captain, and I'm Pilot Flying, and I want to perform an ILS approach (for this example, keeping in mind that I'm only limited to CAT-1, due to only one ILS receiver active). So I want my ILS flags and indications to be displayed, both on the PFD, and maybe on my ND in APP display mode. But my side receiver is down. So I select VHF NAV switch to "both on 2" and that way I can see my FO's side VHF NAV 2 indications, in which I tune or tell him to tune whatever I need. Thanks again for the great work on the videos.

Beautifully amazing nick ! I would buy your training although I am French and I do not understand English very well! ** Do you use HDR bloom Effect ? ** What's your configuration please ? Because you have perfect clarity, and for me is very dark. I hope you answer me, Nick ** -----------Mathieu Laws
got to this link maybe it'll help: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63669605 best regards, Ray

One more time...Excelent Video. I'm anxious to know the price of PMDG737NGX AOA training!! SilvioSilva

Great video.....Applause.gif Although it took awhile getting to takeoff LOL.....LOL.gif

Anyone with kids will know what i'm talking about here. I've seen this video so many times that I can recite the words as he speaks them, lol. NEED MORE.....Ignore the signs and FEED THE ANIMALS......

Great Video. Now just WAITING, WAITING, WAITING while connected to TS3.digitalthemepark.com, Flight Division.Rolling Eyes.gifLOL.gifHypnotized.gif