Sign in to follow this  
jaccorn

Run out of memory.

Getting a message stating 'Your computer has run out of available memory.' It then goes on to say that I need to tweak settings in scenery etc to reduce demand on memory. At this stage I haven't left the FSX Free Flight screen. So I have loaded FSX, walked away for a while and returned to find the memory message. I restarted and watched the whole process and the selected rotating 737NGX starts up in skeleton form then slowly the outer skin is drawn. After about a minute it returns to skeleton form and I get the memory alert.I have tried ******* Altuve FSX.CFG tweak but to no evail. I can run PMDG 747-400X and IFly 737 with no problems.I suspect 737ngx is very demanding on computer resources.I am running Win XP 32bit, E6700 3.2Ghz CPU, 4gig ram, Ati Radion HD 5670 Graphics Card.Would appreciate any feedback.cheersJohn Cornish

I think it is because of your OS. The 32bit version of windows cannot address sufficient Memory Space to handle FSX resulting in an OOTD. Especially with complex addons like the 737NGX. Consider upgrading to a 64-bit OS and the best would be Windows 7 64-bit.

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

boeing-747-wings-pin-ztr6z.png

Guest Adraesh
I think it is because of your OS. The 32bit version of windows cannot address sufficient Memory Space to handle FSX resulting in an OOTD. Especially with complex addons like the 737NGX. Consider upgrading to a 64-bit OS and the best would be Windows 7 64-bit.
Absolutely on 64bits system, Out of memories events are mostly fixed.

Absolutely on 64bits system, Out of memories events are mostly fixed.
Thanks for acknowledging :)

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

I had an OOM error message on my second flight with the PMDg NGX. Using Win 7 64bits, so yes, they can happen using 64bits too. I sent a ticket to PMDG, I´ll try reinstalling my entire FSX to see the results

Alexis Mefano

Guest Adraesh

As Ryan said, they work on this.

I had an OOM error message on my second flight with the PMDg NGX. Using Win 7 64bits, so yes, they can happen using 64bits too. I sent a ticket to PMDG, I´ll try reinstalling my entire FSX to see the results
it is funny to see ( no offence ) that some people here have multithousand dollar rigs and have OOMS and I just have no problems at all with my 4 year old dualcore setup. I wish you all a speedyrecovery! Ying%20Yang.gif

Regards,

Harm Swinkels

I have also occasionally been getting 'out of memory' errors with the NGX, although it only appears to happen when I alt+tab to desktop and then back into FSX. I am running Win 7 x64 bit and performed a fresh install of FSX before installing the NGX. Richard Avery

it is funny to see ( no offence ) that some people here have multithousand dollar rigs and have OOMS and I just have no problems at all with my 4 year old dualcore setup. I wish you all a speedyrecovery! Ying%20Yang.gif
Yeah i dont understand it either

John C

Well, to be fair, on the flight I had the OOM, I had done plenty of alt tab in and out of FSX, to check the charts for the flight procedure. I wonder if that has anyting to do with FSX running out of memory? I´ll try not doing it when I get home. If it works I´ll let you guys know

Alexis Mefano

John, I can appreciate your OOM difficulties because this was a frequent occurrence for me when I first started flying the 747-400X back in 2008. A 64-bit OS is the strategic direction for applications requiring large amounts of virtual memory such as FSX but there are tweaks for maximizing the usability of 32-bit OS for such applications. The recommendation to just upgrade to a 64-bit OS does not take into consideration one's situation. The problem here is 32-bit not XP. You will probably have the same problem with 32-bit Vista or 32-bit W7. I say this because in another thread, someone made the point that XP is 10 yrs old, therefore it's time to upgrade. The problem is 32-bit not XP. The problem threshold is the 2GB virtiual memory (VM). The most frequent recommendation I had seen in the past was to increase VM to 3GB. I took a middle of the road approach to avoid upper end memory conflicts and set my VM to 2.5GB and have not had an OOM problem for about 3 years. My suggestion is that you find the XP equivalent of the following Vista command and increase your VM: "bcdedit /set increaseUserVA xxxxx" where xxxx=2560 for 2.5GB VM xxxx=3072 for 3.0GB VM Best of luckZach

zachlog

John, I can appreciate your OOM difficulties because this was a frequent occurrence for me when I first started flying the 747-400X back in 2008. A 64-bit OS is the strategic direction for applications requiring large amounts of virtual memory such as FSX but there are tweaks for maximizing the usability of 32-bit OS for such applications. The recommendation to just upgrade to a 64-bit OS does not take into consideration one's situation. The problem here is 32-bit not XP. You will probably have the same problem with 32-bit Vista or 32-bit W7. I say this because in another thread, someone made the point that XP is 10 yrs old, therefore it's time to upgrade. The problem is 32-bit not XP. The problem threshold is the 2GB virtiual memory (VM). The most frequent recommendation I had seen in the past was to increase VM to 3GB. I took a middle of the road approach to avoid upper end memory conflicts and set my VM to 2.5GB and have not had an OOM problem for about 3 years. My suggestion is that you find the XP equivalent of the following Vista command and increase your VM: "bcdedit /set increaseUserVA xxxxx" where xxxx=2560 for 2.5GB VM xxxx=3072 for 3.0GB VM Best of luckZach
I do the same here for a few years now but a 3 gig USERVA switch. Except I raise VM to the max advised by Windows. No OOM errors in 32 bit Vista with this. For 64 bit users having OOM errors just try raising VM and see if the problem is solved. Ignore the USERVA switch in the case of 64 bit but do it for 32 bit. Both can easilly be reversed.

Flying in the ORBX PNW area now, FSX's virtual size in Process Explorer is 3.8GB, so it's in the brink of crashing. I got a g3d.dll CTD in PNW earlier today too... maybe both are related EDIT: and just crashed: g3d.dll again

Edited by dazz

Yes, I too have had an OOM on Win7 64bit. Not surprised though. I have 12GB of RAM, but FSX can only access 4GB of Virtual Memory in any event. PMDG 737NGX + Payware Scenery + everything else can add up to OOM. To mitigate this, I've found it best to only have active in the scenery library areas that you require, this reduces the virtual memory footprint. Additionally, I've set my scenery density and autogen to dense. Particularly, as I've been flying around Liverpool UK with VFR scenery, Treescapes UK, and other bespoke scenery. What we really need is a 64bit Flight Sim.... Chris