Sign in to follow this  
jaccorn

Run out of memory.

John, I can appreciate your OOM difficulties because this was a frequent occurrence for me when I first started flying the 747-400X back in 2008. A 64-bit OS is the strategic direction for applications requiring large amounts of virtual memory such as FSX but there are tweaks for maximizing the usability of 32-bit OS for such applications. The recommendation to just upgrade to a 64-bit OS does not take into consideration one's situation. The problem here is 32-bit not XP. You will probably have the same problem with 32-bit Vista or 32-bit W7. I say this because in another thread, someone made the point that XP is 10 yrs old, therefore it's time to upgrade. The problem is 32-bit not XP. The problem threshold is the 2GB virtiual memory (VM). The most frequent recommendation I had seen in the past was to increase VM to 3GB. I took a middle of the road approach to avoid upper end memory conflicts and set my VM to 2.5GB and have not had an OOM problem for about 3 years. My suggestion is that you find the XP equivalent of the following Vista command and increase your VM: "bcdedit /set increaseUserVA xxxxx" where xxxx=2560 for 2.5GB VM xxxx=3072 for 3.0GB VM Best of luckZach
Hi John, This command "bcdedit /set increaseUserVA" is used only once? or every time I start windows should be executed? thx

I am running 64 bit Vista. 8 GB of RAM and 1.5 GB Quadro video card. Xeon quad core 3.16 ghz. The machine was $ 11,000.00, I got it "out of box" for 3K. I still have freezes with NGX as well as some crashes........I checked task manager at my last freeze and it was 2.93 GB memory.

Hi John, This command "bcdedit /set increaseUserVA" is used only once? or every time I start windows should be executed? thx
Yes, set it and pretty much forget it until the harddrive is next wiped, not every time Windows starts. It sets a switch and retains it until either told to do different (reverse the change) or the drive is wiped. I set mine at 3072 I think it is and have done for some 5-6 years with no problems and no OOMs whatsoever. I also set Virtual Memory to the max advised by Windows in the VM Window when I set it to custom, I think with my 4 gig memory its currently something like (top of head) 4606. But whatever is the max advised by Windows in that VM Window, its near the bottom where Windows tells you what it should be. Steve

Getting a message stating 'Your computer has run out of available memory.' It then goes on to say that I need to tweak settings in scenery etc to reduce demand on memory. At this stage I haven't left the FSX Free Flight screen.So I have loaded FSX, walked away for a while and returned to find the memory message. I restarted and watched the whole process and the selected rotating 737NGX starts up in skeleton form then slowly the outer skin is drawn. After about a minute it returns to skeleton form and I get the memory alert.I have tried ******* Altuve FSX.CFG tweak but to no evail. I can run PMDG 747-400X and IFly 737 with no problems.I suspect 737ngx is very demanding on computer resources.I am running Win XP 32bit, E6700 3.2Ghz CPU, 4gig ram, Ati Radion HD 5670 Graphics Card.Would appreciate any feedback.cheersJohn Cornish
I am having a similar issue and I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 Bit with 8Gb RAM and a GTX 460, 3.4 Ghz Intel Quad Core with Scenery settings up Mid to High. I've been flying the NGX for a week now and I had the 1st OOM problem just today? I'd be interested to know what is going on with that. Also got Gamebooster v3 going and it has killed a lot of the background processes and was actually helping performance (so I thought). I'm also running nVidia Inspector with the settings as recommended. So far though, this problem has only occurred at 1 airport in my database (the 2 OOM crashes happened at the same airport - and it is by no means a frame rate eating airport)? See how things go. Rgds, XCL

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

DO ALWAYS USE 64BIT!!!!!!!i have not seen a OOM in fsx or fs9 in 2 years now since in get myself 6 gb kingston memory and a win 7 64bit
Loser.gif WELL - I'VE SEEN NOTHING ELSE!!!!! For the last 2 years, - and i'm running 16gb kingston memory and Win 7U 64bit.Hi Michael - Big Grin.gifOle D.

I only had one OOM error when I first tried flying the NGX on release night, but after some minor tuning and later adding the bcedit switch mentioned above, I've been trouble-free...on a 32-bit Vista installation. Originally, I only had 2gb of RAM in my ancient XPS laptop. My approach to the problem was to first screen out all of the unnecessary crap running in services. This turned out to be mostly software updaters or stuff from applications I haven't used in years (the PC was retired from general use in 2007, and turned to SSM 2007 and FSX use only, when it was replaced by a MacBook). Once I got rid of that stuff, my memory usage went from 85-100% when running FSX to around 60-65%. At the time, I ran ASE and Air Hauler alongside of FSX on the same machine. The week after the NGX came out, I ordered 2GB of RAM to add; once that RAM was installed, I used the bcedit switch, mentioned above, and set about tuning my graphic settings a bit more. I followed Nick's guide, with a few variations, and *******' configuration tool. In the end, the key to smooth flying came in the form of sacrificing some of the AA settings I was using. I stepped it back down to 2x and everything was golden (10/7 scenery settings per Nick's guide, "normal" scenery, "dense" autogen). Since that one OOM and the subsequent tunings and memory addition, I've been flying a smooth NGX without FSX freaking out or losing much in the visual department. FSX runs with FSCaptain, UT2 (70% sliders now), the EFB data provider, and EZDock active on it; however, this past weekend, I took the time to move my ASE installation from the FSX machine to my MacBook running XP on a VMWare Fusion installation (where EFB's display unit resides)...just to relieve the memory load a bit more. Everything is still smooth in FSX except in the biggest airports where things get a bit laggy (but still completely serviceable). Take it for what it's worth (for you 32-bit'ers out there)...decent performance without errors can be done. ;)

i also still fights with OOM in LFPG,EHAM,EGLL,EGCC,and Liverpool with Autogen on MAX. Reducing to Very Dense did improve in Liverpool. I always disabled AI traffic or clear approach with the UT2 tool in fsx menubar. There is not a RAM likeness because i can get OOM eith 1.6GB and again in EHAM with 2.8GB used by FSX. Anybody using FPS limiter with the NGX? Any downsides or conflict with other top add-ons ? I am considering going back to normal Autogen but i have stutters when lowering the Autogen slider. I7-950@4,3HD5870 1GBSSD128 win 7 64 proff.Raptor 300GB - FSX

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

ALL I CAN SAY AND EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE SCREW THE DEVELOPERS OF FSX WHAT A BUNCH OF FKN RETARDS!!!i HAVE WIN 7 64BIT WITH 6GB RAM WHICH SURELY SHOULD BE ENOUGH SO THAT I WOULD NOT GET RUN OUT OF MEM ERROR.TRIED INCREASING VIRTUAL MEM BUT NO FIXI HOPE THERE IS NO ISSUE LIKE THIS WITH MSFLIGHT, ALL OF US SIMMERS PAY ALOT OF MONEY FOR THESE PRODUCTS AND STUPID THINGS DO NOT WORK PROPERLY. UNFKN BELIEVABLE I SPENT MOST OF MY TIME TRY TO FIX THINGS THAN HAVING TO FLY.I HOPE THE RETARDS MAKE IT SO THAT ALL ADDONS ARE COMPATABLE WITH MSFLIGHT AND WE DO NOT HAVE THE SAME ISSUES IN TRYING TO SORT OUT PROBLEMS. WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BUY INSTALL AND FLY THATS IT.SORRY FOR THE LANGUAGE JUST REALLY UPSET.