Sign in to follow this  
Jason.A

Fix for FSX Crash On Exit issue!

Ok so it turns out the PMDG 737NGX .cfg files are set to Read Only which is what causes the Sim to crash on exit it seems. To fix this Simply go to your FSX install directory FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Then go into each PMDG 737 Folder and find the Aircraft.cfg file, single left click to select the file, then right click and select properties Untick "Read Only" then Apply and Ok. Make sure to do this for each PMDG 737 Folder in your "SimObjects\Airplanes" directory Happy ConTrails

Jason Aerts

There was a mistake in the RTM installer that set the files read-only. The installer is updated to not do this as of the yesterday I believe.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ok, this looks promising. I have just tried to recreate the "crash-on-exit" which I could produce very repeatable with two saved scenarios. I had the aircraft.cfg files set as read only. After removing the read only property, I could still reproduce the "crash-on-exit" situation. But ... my ...\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX WL\panel\panel.cfg file was read only also. After removing the read only property, I was NOT able to reproduce this crash-on-exit with many many attempts "SO FAR, SO GOOD" (but you how it goes reporting something fixed hehe). Cannot see how this can possibly be the cause but I can tell you I just finished a crazy VC/external view/HGS-on/HGS-off flight which in the past has triggered the crash and all was well. So I will keep on trying and report back.

There was a mistake in the RTM installer that set the files read-only. The installer is updated to not do this as of the yesterday I believe.
curious why only a small number of people experienced this (if in fact this is the root cause).

After removing all read only attributes to all files including sub-directories, I was indeed able to recreate the crash-on-exit bug. After trying dozens and dozens of flights/test cases, I am convinced (but not certain) that is related to activating/deactivating the HGS while cycling through a mix of external and VC views (no ezdok was installed for this testing). I did not see this problem if I left the HGS alone (up). But, I need to move on and let PMDG do their work as I have done all I can do at this point. The plane is otherwise perfect and have not come across any other problems (although I have not exercised the FMC much yet). This aircraft is beyond magnificent. The sound package is so addictive and spot on and the VC is simply beautiful, crisp and stunning. I am sure that PMDG will solve these "minor" problems and RSR's vision of perfection will be realized - it's pretty close now!!

Ok, this looks promising. I have just tried to recreate the "crash-on-exit" which I could produce very repeatable with two saved scenarios. I had the aircraft.cfg files set as read only. After removing the read only property, I could still reproduce the "crash-on-exit" situation. But ... my ...\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-800NGX WL\panel\panel.cfg file was read only also. After removing the read only property, I was NOT able to reproduce this crash-on-exit with many many attempts "SO FAR, SO GOOD" (but you how it goes reporting something fixed hehe). Cannot see how this can possibly be the cause but I can tell you I just finished a crazy VC/external view/HGS-on/HGS-off flight which in the past has triggered the crash and all was well. So I will keep on trying and report back. curious why only a small number of people experienced this (if in fact this is the root cause).
For the last Question, i guess most of the People instantly installed the Livery which caused the .cfg to have write/read access. Greeting Chris

Ok, sorry folks, I guess I just can't leave this one alone. For my last observation/idea (hehe), I have found a work around and it might offer another clue. I have NOT been able to recreate my crash-on-exit problem if I do the following. Exit FSX via the main window ONLY. (see attached pic). I am not saying this bug is dead, but that I cannot recreate is so far (easy to recreate otherwise). This bypasses the "esc" to Free Flight (where the 3D mini plane shows up) window where my point of failure is! It appears (this is where I am guessing now), that since the Intro doc states that the ngx does not like to be loaded back-to-back, isn't this partly what is actually happening when you go back to the Free Flight window? If so, it might explain some of the strange things I have been seeing regarding initialization. Anyway, can any of you guys that have this crash-on-exit problem, try this work around and report back to this thread (would be helpful to have all info in one place).

So should we re-download the installer then?

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I don't understand why pmdg has this 7 day download limit It would be easier if we can download the latest installer.

Kimo

New 737 Pilot here, Can confirm OP's suggestion fixed this crash for me.

Fresh install. No tweaking, just 737 to test and it worked. Thanks!

I don't understand why pmdg has this 7 day download limit It would be easier if we can download the latest installer.

+10000

How can we remedy this please Ryan as setting properties to not 'read only' reverts back to previous settings.

Will SP2 solve this issue?

Dave Taylor gb.png