Sign in to follow this  
Jack_C

Do you Really Need Speedbrakes VIDEO? Part 2

No NADP 1 can be used with LVL CHG. With a nadp 1, at 1500 feet the fmc will select a climb thrust, flap retraction doesnt take place untill 3000 feet. A NADP2, the flap rettractn begins at 1000 feet.

No NADP 1 can be used with LVL CHG. With a nadp 1, at 1500 feet the fmc will select a climb thrust, flap retraction doesnt take place untill 3000 feet. A NADP2, the flap rettractn begins at 1000 feet.
OK, got it. Thanks! So basically NADP 1 allows you to attain 3000 ft at the shorter distance after takeoff. Is this a main difference between 1 and 2? And just to clarify, how do I program FMC: NADP 1: reduction height=1500; acceleration height=3000NADP 2: reduction height=1000; acceleration height=1000 Correct?

Because the NGX is the first addon to fully model modulated autobrakes that work like the real thing does - that's why. I'm not going to go into the technical reasons, but this will not be changing - you need to double tap the brake key/switch or press and hold it to disengage.
Okay, thank you.But when the plane has stopped, i cant release the brakes anymore. Only by using the parking brake, but then there is no "normal" brake anymore.Also moddeld like the real ones ?!

Could you help me to ask this Question (see this post : http://forum.avsim.n...es/page__st__50) fsxissue.jpg Never heard of this FSX issue before. On the PMDG 747x, PMDG MD11 , Iflyng , Level-D 767 .... never had this " issue" before. Would say , its a NGX issue ?! Every other plane before:Manually "disengage" the autobrake on the know released the autobrake. But not in the 737ngx. Why?!
Have you just worked that out ?

Hey, thanks for the informative videos, i really appreciate them, add a lot more to the flight to take the speed off without speedbrakes. :) I was wondering though, how usual or allowed in real life this method is? You said speed isn't a problem, but how about a plane full of passengers? If you descent at 4100 ft/min it's quite a steep descent, is that allowed with passengers comfortability in mind? Or does that depend on the airline, who allows and who doesn't? I haven't been on a airplane many times, but as far as i recall all descents were quite "slow" at 1000-1200 ft/min. Do you have any insight on that?

but as far as i recall all descents were quite "slow" at 1000-1200 ft/min. Do you have any insight on that?
I doubt that, not for ay extended time, 1000-1200 ft/min is just wasteful in a airliner. Anyway passengers don't really feel set decent speeds especially they don't have much to reference it by, they feel accelerations (up, down, left, right, forward, back etc). If done in a smooth matter passengers will not likely notice.

Jay is right. The only thing a pax will feel is the actual 'angle' at which you are descending as it's similar to putting a chair on a tilting slope... you do feel the way you are sitting. But the actual vertical speed is not really felt at all.I once had a VS over 10000fpm (negative of course) and my cabin crew never even noticed it was a steep descent! (this was in an Avro RJ btw)so sure, there is absolutely NO problem getting high descent rates, just keep your pitch within personal professional limits and you'll be fine...

Does the pressurization keep up with a steep descent like that? I remember being on a DC-9 about 20 years ago that went into a steep descent on approach while dodging clouds left and right and that made my ears hurt quite a bit. But I suppose pressurization systems have come a long way since then. ;)

I doubt that, not for ay extended time, 1000-1200 ft/min is just wasteful in a airliner. Anyway passengers don't really feel set decent speeds especially they don't have much to reference it by, they feel accelerations (up, down, left, right, forward, back etc). If done in a smooth matter passengers will not likely notice.
On the other hand, I have heard somewhere that 4000ft/min is also not desirable - and it is not only g's, but also the speed of cabin pressure change. Could somebody confirm this? What speed is the most economic one on the one hand, and what is the upper limit for a descent on the other?

Have you just worked that out ?
Don't berate him - this could be his first sim! Everyone was a beginner once. ;)Best regards,Robin.

What do you do if you are under 10000 feet and can't follow the VNAV path?
So, you're 10K under the path, whats your problem (for whatever reason)? Unless there's conflicting terrain this is for sure the better case. Being too high would usually be the problem (as indicated in the videos). sig.gif

Jay is right. The only thing a pax will feel is the actual 'angle' at which you are descending as it's similar to putting a chair on a tilting slope... you do feel the way you are sitting. But the actual vertical speed is not really felt at all.I once had a VS over 10000fpm (negative of course) and my cabin crew never even noticed it was a steep descent! (this was in an Avro RJ btw)so sure, there is absolutely NO problem getting high descent rates, just keep your pitch within personal professional limits and you'll be fine...
Sorry, i was a bit unclear there i guess. I ment exactly about that, the angle of descent, not feeling the descent speed it self. But now that i reviewed the video, yes nose is down only about 5 degrees below horizon, which isn't that much. I was just looking at the ft/min and thought that it must not feel too good in the cabin, but now that i saw that it's only about 5 degrees below horizon, yeah... i can see that it can't be felt too much in the cabin/cockpit. Oh, also i just guessed that ft/min i've felt in real life, surely descent speeds are higher, i guess i was a bit sleepy having just woken up when i was typing... Whistle.gif

Cheers Jack, nice bit of experienced flying there. On a side note I read somewhere that in the US atc like you to descend with a high V/S then level at the altitude with say the last 1000' at 500fpm to cut down on possible tcas issues - is that generally correct?John Ellison