Sign in to follow this  
Rieder

Free SW, use 2 PC`s, 3 screens, use one mouse/kbrd to control

Just in case anyone else wants to try. I found some free software that runs like a switchable keyboard/mouse control on multiple computers. So I have my main computer with two screens and my laptop with its built in display. I run this free software called Input Director on both machines, making the main one as Master and the Laptop as Slave. Make sure they`re networked then set up some activation keys. I set the program to auto start on both then activate with the keys. This then allows me to use my main computer mouse/keyboard on the Laptop too! Using a panel in the ID I can set the 2 Main monitors as side by side though above below is ok too and the laptop at the side or above/below. If above below then the mouse cursor moves up/down from the two main monitors to and from the Laptop. Likewise side to side when in that orientation. I can use all the files/folders on any of the two machines, shut the laptop down from the Main computer etc.... Now for flight sim use. My Os is Vista and on the Main computer and C:\, whereas the FSX software is on the D:\ but no problems there. I also run Plan G which is a live map and much much more that shows my progress throughout my journey + details on the destination airport with Radio/Nav Frequencies, runway length etc. I put a second Plan G installation on my Laptop but had to make a special SimConnect.xml file up and plant that in the C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX folder because thats the OS side of FSX whereas the FSX itself is on the D:\. That took some thinking about, it didn`t work when I put it in the same place on the D:\ D`oh! Bingo, I run FSX on the Main puter screen 1, meanwhile screen 2 has the CDU, guages and controls I want + the EZdok controller window. The Laptop has a full screen moving map of my journey showing its progress. I was lousy at Geography at school so this has taught me a lot using Plan G. http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/planG.htm http://www.inputdirector.comhttp://www.inputdire...rt-install.html Theirs a quick install guide above as well. Both Plan G and Input Director are free, not time limited and no catches at all. I`d say get them while you can even if you`re planning it later down the line. You`re well set for other uses with mouse/keyboard use on more than one computer now. I used the IPv6 setup for SimConnect, 6 is best for Vista/Win7 and this is the script I set in Notepad and saved as Other Files in (not TXT) SimConnect.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?><SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0"><Descr>SimConnect</Descr><Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename><SimConnect.Comm> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Protocol>IPv6</Protocol> <Scope>link-local</Scope> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <Address>fe80::edf2:28f6:34e4:b14e</Address> <Port>4506</Port> </SimConnect.Comm> </SimBase.Document>

Its well explained in the site and basically the Address has to be changed, I left it at Port 4506 and Plan G has a little setup for SimConnect use where you put in the local IP address of the target machine (192:168.0.110 was mine) and IPv6 use, tell it where FSX is, mine is on the D:\ networked on the main machine. Also tell it where the scenery.cfg files are then build an FSX database, easy enough and well explained in the help guides.

Input Director is very well done - and the price ($0) is just right smile.png

I've been using input director for over a year. An absolute must if you have more than one computer.

Joe Sherrill

Hi, sorry for bringing to life this old topic, but I discovered Input Director only today and wanted to ask users if there is any performance hit in installing it on the FSX computer, used as master.

Thanks.

James Goggi

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

No. Been using it for yonks. No effect on fsx that I have seen.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

No. Been using it for yonks. No effect on fsx that I have seen

I think it does slow me down somehow. There are four files running  and I need to figre out which one is the bad guy.I have been  looking for a replacement but found nothing so far.