Sign in to follow this  
callegro

Cracking/Popping sounds while flying.....

Hi guys, So I have been reading the previous post about this problem so I know they are out there but it doesn't seem to fix the problem. It just started happening recently and I haven't installed any new aircraft. The sound starts cracking for about 45 seconds and then goes back to normal. It happens about every 20 minutes. I am using REX and ActiveSky but I feel that going into clouds isn't the problem since it has only started recently and I have been using the weather enhancers for a while. Anyone know what the problem might be? I have Windows 7 and am on FS9 if that helps. Chris Allegro

Have you noticed if ActiveSky is updating while the sound is popping? Just a thought but CPU cycles?-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Also check if you have unlimited frames (target frame rate) in the FS9 Settings/Display/Hardware.If yes, then add a limit of at least, say, 60 and check if the problem still exists.

Hey guys, Thanks for the replies. I did move the frames down to 60 and it has seemed to stop! However the frame rates did drop a little bit. I do have a pretty good ATI Radeon card, so is there a way I can get these frames back without the popping noise?

A certain individual very experienced in the workings of FS9 claims that anything over 23 to 25 frames is wasting cpu power. In my experience, I would have to agree. Unless you are watching a framerate counter, you should be fine. Especially at 60 frames.

Hey Bill,Your certain very experienced individual has obviously not compared 60FPS on a 60hz refresh rate monitor to 25-35 FPS in the same situation... Again, your very experienced individual is as wrong as the people who say you only need 24FPS because that is what the human eye sees. There is absolutely nothing that is smoother in the FS world than 60FPS on a 60hz monitor and even the difference between 35 and 60 is night and day... Once you have been at 60, 35 is jerky, there is no way around it. At 60FPS FS is so smooth it is the same type of fluid movement in the sim you would expect in R/L. I see this all the time when I fly from LLBG to KEWR. At LLBG my FPS are 60 and FS is UNREAL whereas landing at KEWR my FPS are 36 and it is EXTREMELY NOTICEABLE! Sometimes I think people make comments like that because they can't run at 60 FPS, have no idea what it ACTUALLY looks and feels like and want to convince themselves they don't need it... They are wrong :)Just my .02 from someone who sees the difference between 60FPS and 36 almost daily.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I'll try it at 60 fps. The older I get, the less the eyes catch.

I have the same monitor specs and just don't see a lot of difference. Both 25 and 60 gave me a smooth video. If you have a strong processor, I don't see the harm in setting it higher. Keep in mind, I've been in 100+ degree heat for 70 straight days!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank God for a brief respite in Jackson Hole.

Yeah, you guys have been hit pretty darn hard this year and between a little shaker yesterday and a hurricane potentially this weekend it has been very interesting around here for us as well... I am a few hundred yards from the beach and flooded out last week when we had torrential downpours so quite concerned about this weekend to say the least... Glad you at least tried, to each there own then but for me I find the difference to be immediately noticeable and night and day... So many variables involved too, AA levels, AF levels etc... but appreciate you at least trying!-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I'm going to run at 60 for awhile. It seems to not affect anything else, so I'll try it on more complex situations. Living close to the beach sounds great. If we get any drier, the Gulf will start drying up. A new all time record for heat yesterday. 70 straight days of 100+ temps.

Hey guys. So I tried running at 60, but the sound still keeps "popping/cracking." I did a test run today through massive cumulonimbus clouds and after about 30 mins of flying, it started doing it again. It stops for a while, and about 30 mins later, it starts up again. Any other ideas?

Hey guys. So I tried running at 60, but the sound still keeps "popping/cracking." I did a test run today through massive cumulonimbus clouds and after about 30 mins of flying, it started doing it again. It stops for a while, and about 30 mins later, it starts up again. Any other ideas?
First of all, what kind of sound system and drivers? Second, have you checked dxdiag, typically found here "C:\WINDOWS\system32" or by "start, Run, 'type in' dxdiag, then click OK. Under the Sound tab check and make sure that hardware sound acceleration is set to "basic acceleration" then exit. FS9 combined with some or most sound cards and drivers will produce the popping and cracking if the hardware sound acceleration is set any higher than basic. At least that is what I have read elsewhere about popping and cracking sounds. Regards,Mel

Thanks for the quick reply :) First of all, I am running off of Bose speakers and sub, so that isn't an issue. Also I cannot figure out what kind of sound card I have. When I go into dxdiag, it has 3 sound tabs. Sound 1 says: Speakers and Dual headphones. Sound 2: SPDIF (Digital out via hp dock). Sound 3: Independent dual headphones. Is it possible that I don't have a sound card? I haven't had a problem with this before because the speakers are relatively good, but I don't know whats happened in the past few weeks. Please Help!

Go back into dxdiag and on each of your three sound tabs look at each two top 'boxes' - Device and Drivers. Under Devices you should see Name: xxx and Device Id: xxx. If you have a PCI type sound card that plugs into the motherboard it will be listed and the Drivers section will show the details. If none of the three sound tabs has Device Id: PCI\ xxxxxxxxx then you are running a on board sound system that is built directly onto the motherboard. You might also wish to run the Test DirectSound function on each sound tab just to see / hear if you notice anything unusual. Pay close attention to whether all three tabs list the same drivers or not. Regards,Mel