Sign in to follow this  
gtjoha

Running two video-cards for improved FPS?

Actually having a GTX 590 with 3 gigs of ram will slow down everything in FSX. FSX IS a 32 bit program and mostly uses CPU for it's graphics performane.Having a graphics card with more than 1 gig is starving FSX of memory.
Is this a fact Fred? So no matter what card you buy GTX4xx or GTX5xx, over 1GB you are wasting your money and could actually decrease perfomance? (Strictly when talking FSX)

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Is this a fact Fred? So no matter what card you buy GTX4xx or GTX5xx, over 1GB you are wasting your money and could actually decrease perfomance? (Strictly when talking FSX)
Unless you're running mega high resolutions (way past 1920x1080) or 3+ monitors, then yes.

Here is a more simple explanation. CPU accounts for 75 Percent of your FPS. Video Card Accounts for the other 25 Percent in FSX. So while the CPU is most important you still need a decent Video Card to keep up with the CPU or you will have a bottleneck. Example: If you have an Intel Core i5 2500k a good balance would be a GTX560ti, GTX570, or GTX580. I don't know anything about AMD CPU's or ATI cards, so somebody else will have to step in for that. Like NGX said above after 1 gig of memory your not gonna notice any difference unless your above 1920x1080 Resolution or using multiple monitors. However the higher core clocks and extra cores in the higher end cards may help in certain situations. If you are running below the recommended hardware specs for the 737-NGX don't expect any miracles, because it ain't gonna happen.

I hate to get into this argument because it seems piontless, but I support the fact that higher resolutions need and require mutiple GPU's. I run a three monitor setup with resolution of 5720x1080 using three Gigabyte SOC 470 video cards. Runs fine here and I dont see any way to achieve this with out at least two cards. FPS with NGS avarage 30+ at this resolution. In single monitor SLI configuration I achieved not FPS benifit from the three cards. My system also has good CPU processing power with Sandybridge 2700K overclocked to 5.0Ghz. I now the use of this CPU contributed to my system performance. My single monitor performance on one card is 50-60 FPS. Hope this helps. I think I have tried almost every card/cpu configuration, and the CPU made the biggest improvement.

Here is a more simple explanation. CPU accounts for 75 Percent of your FPS. Video Card Accounts for the other 25 Percent in FSX. So while the CPU is most important you still need a decent Video Card to keep up with the CPU or you will have a bottleneck. Example: If you have an Intel Core i5 2500k a good balance would be a GTX560ti, GTX570, or GTX580. I don't know anything about AMD CPU's or ATI cards, so somebody else will have to step in for that. If running below the recommended hardware specs for the NGX don't expect miracles, because it ain't gonna happen.
Yes sir you need a balanced system for FSX else you get lagged either due to the GFX or due to the CPU. And what Di said does makes sense at least for extended display (not SLI or Crossfire) , because you are throwing up a large chunk of data to the cards so all the cards need to be sync to the same resolution and should match each other for the data to be displayed in sync . An overall sync system will work very well for FSX. Same with AMD/ATi's if you use a Phenom X4 955 or 1090T you need the card which will keep the data rate between the GPU & CPU. As to using two cards for a single rendering task I don't know if it works in FSX. Sometime I think it does and sometimes not.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I hate to get into this argument because it seems piontless, but I support the fact that higher resolutions need and require mutiple GPU's. I run a three monitor setup with resolution of 5720x1080 using three Gigabyte SOC 470 video cards. Runs fine here and I dont see any way to achieve this with out at least two cards. FPS with NGS avarage 30+ at this resolution. In single monitor SLI configuration I achieved not FPS benifit from the three cards. My system also has good CPU processing power with Sandybridge 2700K overclocked to 5.0Ghz. I now the use of this CPU contributed to my system performance. My single monitor performance on one card is 50-60 FPS. Hope this helps. I think I have tried almost every card/cpu configuration, and the CPU made the biggest improvement.
I agree with everything you said above. So your argument is not pointless. Like everyone above said it only comes into play above 1080p resolution. Also your probably using a TripleHead2go which makes it and entirely different situation than plain ole SLI.

I agree with everything you said above. So your argument is not pointless. Like everyone above said it only comes into play above 1080p resolution. Also your probably using a TripleHead2go which makes it and entirely different situation than plain ole SLI.
Actually I am using SLI for the triple sreen function. SLI has the ability to provide mutiple GPU to single monitor or Multi-monitor from multi-GPU. In my case each card is powering one monitor.

Sorry. Let me go trot down to newegg and pick myself up a second GTX580 on the fact that I MIGHT see 1 or 2 frames more in a certain and specific situation
Yes, please do. Hardware advice from someone who has first hand experience is always more useful.

Yes, please do. Hardware advice from someone who has first hand experience is always more useful.
Indeed it is. Do I need to drag Dazz and the other FSX hardware guru's, the guys who know everything about the technical side of FSX, over here to prove my point?

With FSX the GTX 580 with 1.5 gigs ram would be the limit. Take a look at Nvidia's website !FSX isn't even in their list of supported programs. The most Ram FSX can use is 3.8 gigabytes.

Indeed it is. Do I need to drag Dazz and the other FSX hardware guru's, the guys who know everything about the technical side of FSX, over here to prove my point?
Always going the extra mile Di!How come every post I go on there is a argument between you and someone else? -.-

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

Always going the extra mile Di!How come every post I go on there is a argument between you and someone else? -.-
LMAO.gif

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that. I have to laugh at how she quickly googles a topic then comes back as a freakin' god's gift authority on the subject. Can you imagine the arguments on the flight-deck?? Andrew Vincent

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks that. I have to laugh at how she quickly googles a topic then comes back as a freakin' god's gift authority on the subject. Can you imagine the arguments on the flight-deck?? Andrew Vincent
Actually I didn't google anything thankyou very much