Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Fastest way to do practice approaches?

G/S intercept is 3200msl. I'm far below the g/s when I get on the localizer. I actually like the CDI needle over the map for approaches. Let's recap... here's how I'd engage the A/P for an approach in another small plane: 1) A/P is on, I'm flying an ATC assigned heading of 360 and level at 3200ft. A/P modes are ALT HLD and HDG SEL (plus MCP speed if A/T equipped)2) I turn left heading 300, and press APP (or sometimes APR mode)3) The aircraft establishes itself on the localizer then flies the glideslope down.4) Disengage a/p above minimums In the NGX: Do I have to use VOR/LOC then APP, then engage CMD B to get the auto pilot to fly the glide slope? Or can I just do what I've described above? (and ensure the FMC, HUGS, and freq and obs's are setup)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Randy, I can do this already, minus the a/p - that's why I'm these forums. Dammit - I just had one of those panel freezes again.... ARGH!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

G/S intercept is 3200msl. I'm far below the g/s when I get on the localizer. I actually like the CDI needle over the map for approaches. Let's recap... here's how I'd engage the A/P for an approach in another small plane: 1) A/P is on, I'm flying an ATC assigned heading of 360 and level at 3200ft. A/P modes are ALT HLD and HDG SEL (plus MCP speed if A/T equipped)2) I turn left heading 300, and press APP (or sometimes APR mode)3) The aircraft establishes itself on the localizer then flies the glideslope down.4) Disengage a/p above minimums In the NGX: Do I have to use VOR/LOC then APP, then engage CMD B to get the auto pilot to fly the glide slope? Or can I just do what I've described above? (and ensure the FMC, HUGS, and freq and obs's are setup)
NO !! APP will do fine.You can press CMD B anytime above 800ft. everything else you say above is fine !!! Enjoy.

I find it curious that you have to select an arrival runway and approach in the FMC in order to fly an ILS. Why is it not sufficient to have the ILS tuned on the nav radios and the course set on the MCP? The jet does intercept and track the localizer with no approach in the FMC, but it will not descend on the glideslope.

I could be wrong, but I think that it is because for autoland, it is the FMC that is the boss, and it needs to use the information in the FMC. so if there is essential information missing, it will not engage to avoid doing stupid things while the pilot thinks that everything is under control.

Henri Arsenault

Yeah but autoland shouldn't be a function of tracking the g/s... The ILS is simply an antenna transmitting a "beam", there shouldn't be a need to program the FMS for that.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I could be wrong, but I think that it is because for autoland, it is the FMC that is the boss, and it needs to use the information in the FMC. so if there is essential information missing, it will not engage to avoid doing stupid things while the pilot thinks that everything is under control.
In my case I wasn't trying to autoland - just have the autopilot track the localizer and ILS. It followed the localizer fine, but flew through the GS.

In my case I wasn't trying to autoland - just have the autopilot track the localizer and ILS. It followed the localizer fine, but flew through the GS.
Yep this is what I see... I'm not saying it's wrong but it's weird logic that Boeing uses if it is the case.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |