Sign in to follow this  
Dicko

Issues with 3GB GTX580?

so let me ask you folks currently I am stil running my gtx285 but very shortlyI will be updating now to what gtx 1500gb 03r 3,000gb. Currently runing windows 7 64 bit on 27" 6gb memory what do you suggest on the 580 gtx 1,500 or 3,0000 firmy system ? I want to have a good ride. let me know please your recommendation.
1.5GB is fine.

1.5GB is fine.
I have the GTX580 3GB, upgrade from the GTX285. No issues whatsoever. I got the 3GB over the 1.5GB because I am running FSX at 2560x1600 on a 30in. monitor. NGX is smooth as silk, locked at 30 FPS.Trevor

I have the GTX580 1.5. I am running 3 monitors and it is not as smooth as silk...freezing and CDTs. When I go to windowed mode on 1 monitor, there are no issues. As others have stated, the 1.5 should be fine unless you are going with multipe, or a single large high res monitor.

Win 10 (64)

i7 8700K OC 5.1 GHz

Gigabyte Aorus Z370x

i7 8700k OC 5.1 GHz

GTX Titan XP

I am using a GTX 570 HD 2560MB , WIN7 64bit without issue. It gives a significant improvement on the 1gig GTX460 with the NGX, I was having severe stuttering issues at some dense scenery locations.

Thanks, for you input everyone... But I don't want to hijack the thread. Needless to say it 3 monitors totalling 5760x1200 on an i7 930@4.1 GHz. I will try the 3Gb cards as DCS really needs the VRAM, and if it causes issues in FSX I will look at a dedicated FSX system. Food for though, thank you all!

Let me know how it goes with the 3Gb card, as I am interested in that card also. As I am flying with a resolution of 5040x1050 I would like to know if the extra memory really adds to performance when using 3 monitors.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I originally bought the 3GB card with a view to purchase another at a later date to implement Nvidia Surround over 3 monitors. The advice was large or multiple monitors the more memory the better thus the 3GB card. Some of the posts seem to indicate that with multiple monitors the 1.5GB card does sometimes struggle. Andrew Dixon

I have the GTX580 3GB, upgrade from the GTX285. No issues whatsoever. I got the 3GB over the 1.5GB because I am running FSX at 2560x1600 on a 30in. monitor. NGX is smooth as silk, locked at 30 FPS. Trevor
I have the GTX580 1.5. I am running 3 monitors and it is not as smooth as silk...freezing and CDTs. When I go to windowed mode on 1 monitor, there are no issues. As others have stated, the 1.5 should be fine unless you are going with multipe, or a single large high res monitor.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

It only stuggles if using TH2Go on 1 card. But 3 screens over 2 cards is plenty. 3GB Vram for 3 screens is more than enough. The extra 3 won't do much.

100% Correct. FSX is a 32 Application, and as such can only uses 4 Gigs, on a 64 Bit OS. However, it can use ALL that 4 Gigs, as it does not need to share any with the 64 Bit kernal.( on 32 bit machines, FSX + Kernal use 4 gigs )
minus the GPU ram of course !! Which could be anything up to 3 gigabytes.

So what's the consensus here? My return period is waning on my 1.5GB GTX 580. Should I upgrade to the 3GB version for a 2560x1440 resolution? Looking at some of the benchmarks, for example HERE, seem to suggest the 3GB is not worth the extra $100 in my case.

Brandon Burkley

So what's the consensus here? My return period is waning on my 1.5GB GTX 580. Should I upgrade to the 3GB version for a 2560x1440 resolution? Looking at some of the benchmarks, for example HERE seem to suggest the 3GB is not worth the extra $100 in my case.
Stick with the 1.5GB is my opinion.

1.5 will be good for 2560x1440. I'm using 1.5gb for 5900x1080

1.5 will be good for 2560x1440. I'm using 1.5gb for 5900x1080
Sweet, thanks man. What kind of AA are you running?

Brandon Burkley

The 8xS in Ryan's Nvidia Inspector guide Possibly worth noting: It's a little jerky, but the CPU I'm using right now is still at stock speed because I'm still installing/tweaking. My old MB fried so I took the opportunity to do a clean windows install. Taking my time tweaking because my simming is limited to *casual* until I get a desk built that'll hold 4 monitors. VC with TiR is a pain when all your monitors are on the floor & there's no way to mount your yoke...

For some reason when I use Ryan's 8xS setup (which I love as far visuals go), the sim gets pretty jerky in large cities and airports. I dropped it down to 4xS with 2x Supersampling and it seems to be acceptable. Thanks for your help.

Brandon Burkley