Sign in to follow this  
MrPlaneDriver

C:\FSX for Windows XP as well?

Hi, everyone. I had a problem installing the PNW scenery from Orbx and the only way to solve this is to do the painful job of reinstalling FSX. I was reading PMDG's guide for it and it says the following:

IMPORTANT - we do NOT recommended installing to the default file location in Windows Vista or Windows 7. (Program Files or Program Files (x86))
I use Win XP and was wondering if there would be any advantage installing FSX in C:\ in this OS istead of C:\Program Files. Cheers

Matheus Mafra

I don't think there are any issues with XP but I'd just install it to C:\FSX anyway

I don't think there are any issues with XP but I'd just install it to C:\FSX anyway
That's what I'm gonna do anyway, but just wanted some opinions. Maybe someone knows something about a issue that may show up in Win XP or something like that, you know... but if no one say nothing about it in the next 30 minutes, I'll install in C:\FSX =)

Matheus Mafra

If nothing else, at least you will enjoy the benefit of shorter path names! LOL.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If nothing else, at least you will enjoy the benefit of shorter path names! LOL.gif
:( That's true.

Matheus Mafra

Guess what? I forgot to change the installation path to C:\FSX before installing FSX. I only noticed that when the installation had finally finished. Bad for me. But it has been in Program Files for the last 3 years since I bought FSX, so I'm sure I'll have no problems if it stays there for a few more months Whistle.gif

Matheus Mafra

No problems in XP - it's specific to Vista and Win7 because of how they work with permissions and protections for those folders.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

No problems in XP - it's specific to Vista and Win7 because of how they work with permissions and protections for those folders.
Roger that, Ryan.

Matheus Mafra

Hello, I think the best way is to have a separate disk for the Flightsim files FSX and the rest.The load on the C: drive will be heavy when you run FSX and the system on the same drive.I know that with to days cpu's and hd's that will not be noticed but it is still better to have different disk.Also in case of disk crashes you will not loose everything, same time in getting all back.I have several disks for software, system and Flightism software.Works fine with me, don't forget to activate pagefile for the other disks as well, if you decide to have separate disks. Carlos

Guess what? I forgot to change the installation path to C:\FSX before installing FSX. I only noticed that when the installation had finally finished. Bad for me. But it has been in Program Files for the last 3 years since I bought FSX, so I'm sure I'll have no problems if it stays there for a few more months Whistle.gif
Hi Matheus,What's your experience with the NGX and Win XP?I have XP on my machine I am still waiting a little bit more before re-installing FSX and buying the NGX so I am very interested in any feedback.Thanks in advance,Bruno PS : (Ryan) Would be nice if PMDG's installation recommendations for the NGX were available BEFORE buying the NGX (maybe together with the additional stuff RSR mentioned you would provide some time ago.

Oh, crap haha! Didn't even notice!
No problem ;)
Mr. Bill, I came up with an idea to make a shortcut to my main FSX folder, and placed it on my desktop for easy access! It's a big help!

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue