Sign in to follow this  
Gramps ZA

Freeze=Computer out of memory?

Di,if you get a chance, try it yourself and see what memory savings you can obtain by the method described by Tom. Not sure what aircraft you have, but if you can, you will see what i am going on about. If I am wrong, I will have to leave the forum just for the sheer embarresment :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks Glyn, will take a look.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Di, (NGX) don't take this personally, but as you don't own the NGX, and you seem to spend 24/7 on this forum giving wrong answers and sometimes correct ones, do you have FSX ?I would, personaly myself, find it very difficult to offer advice if I did not own the very aircraft this forum was set up to support.I would have thought it was prudent to know the aircraft reasonalbly well to offer the support you have been giving. Not just the aircraft, but also the platform the aircraft is running on. Please don't take offence, but I find that puzzling. I joined Avsim when it was born, took a break for a couple of years and re joined, and my post count is only 10% of yours.If anything, you will be in the Avsim hall of fame as the fastest poster in the west. But please don't answer every post with a guess, if your wrong, it can be a mess. CheersJulian

Flying today and the NGX froze. The computer then said windows had run out of memory? Why? This has never ever happened before?
Why not try and change your virtual memory settings. The 4 gig of RAM on a machine is fine. You won't use normally more then approx 1.9 - 2.1 gig.Check your virtual memeory and don't let Windows control itBest isChange it to a different drive and have a small partion approx 20 gig just for the Virtual Memory. Depending on the amount you have installed double that for your virtual memeoryGive that a try

Ian C. McCulloch

'What would one do without Malt Whisky? Slainte Mhath'

It only can get better

Just had a OOM 5 miles on final at LFPO. I had last CTD some weeks ago, then 9 flights without any problem and today a crash again. Memory space used by FSX about 3,2-3,3 GB at that moment, I don't undersand why this problem and how to fix. With a 32bit OS (previous one) I would fix with 3GB switch, but with a 64bit OS (current one) it does not do any sense for me. What do you think about?I am very angry because since PMDG 737NGX purchase I got about 1 CTD or OOM every no more 10 flights!angry.png Bye.

Try using the /3GB VAS switch. It's got nothing to do with these .dll's. They won't take up much space at all. The problem is you're running FSX + windows Kernel + large amounts of Vram in a 2GB space. That's going to bring OOMs. Only way to fix this is 64bit OS, /3GB switch will reduce chances, but won't get rid of it completely, or reduce memory intensive settings (autogen for example. Use normal. It's just as good looking and frees up a heap of resources)
The
Flying today and the NGX froze. The computer then said windows had run out of memory? Why? This has never ever happened before?
Read this : http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=OOM_Error Andrew Vincent

The Read this : http://www.fsdevelop...title=OOM_Error Andrew Vincent
Hello, interesting document, albeit I already know something. But, my question is: how about 64bit OS? How can be possible to get OOM errors while running OS with 64bit? Which fix to prevent that kind of error?When I was using FS2004 and a 32bit OS making the 3GB switch led to a positive solution, but don't know how to fix now with a 64bit OS.

Hello, interesting document, albeit I already know something. But, my question is: how about 64bit OS? How can be possible to get OOM errors while running OS with 64bit? Which fix to prevent that kind of error?When I was using FS2004 and a 32bit OS making the 3GB switch led to a positive solution, but don't know how to fix now with a 64bit OS.
64bit allows FSX to use 4GB of VAS (instead of 2, or 3 with the switch). This 4GB is only for FSX, all other programs and the windows kernel can be offloaded into the rest of the address space. Because FSX is 32bit, it only supports max 4GB VAS, so even if you hit that with a 64bit OS, boom OOM. The reason it happens less with 64bit OS' is because there is a full 4GB dedicated to FSX.

64bit allows FSX to use 4GB of VAS (instead of 2, or 3 with the switch). This 4GB is only for FSX, all other programs and the windows kernel can be offloaded into the rest of the address space. Because FSX is 32bit, it only supports max 4GB VAS, so even if you hit that with a 64bit OS, boom OOM. The reason it happens less with 64bit OS' is because there is a full 4GB dedicated to FSX.
Thanks for your explanation. For me it remains not clear at all why I have got a OOM while FSX was running about 3,2-3,3 GB (seeing task manager when OOM error came out).Well, so what would you suggest to fix this problem in 64bit OS? Any other than reduce graphics settings or so.Many thanks.

If you have scenery from multiple vendors whose products don't work together it will easily exceed virtual memory which is the problem. This can also happen with an addon that has some programming issue where stack calls aren't cleaned up properly and data space encroaches into progam space. One thing I did early on with NGX is untick/deselect all unused scenery and regions from the scenery library page and let fsx rebuild a scenery database based on only regions I fly in. Touch wood NGX is perfect for me. Andrew Vincent

Thanks for your explanation. For me it remains not clear at all why I have got a OOM while FSX was running about 3,2-3,3 GB (seeing task manager when OOM error came out).Well, so what would you suggest to fix this problem in 64bit OS? Any other than reduce graphics settings or so.Many thanks.
The huge thing not being mentioned in this thread is video memory. DX9 apps like FSX need to shadow the video memory in VAS and it counts against the 4GB limit. You want to enable the columns "Working set" and "Peak working set" in task manager - that's the best approximation for how much memory FSX is actually using moment to moment. Add your video memory size to this and you have roughly, thought not exactly, how much VAS the sim is actually using - you'll find that it's probably very very close to the 4GB limit when you do that. There is no solution for exceeding this value - it's an unavoidable limitation of 32-bit applications (the number of possible values in a bit (2) to the 32nd power = 4GB). We'd need a 64-bit version of FSX.exe (16 exabytes of theoretical VAS) to truly solve it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

The huge thing not being mentioned in this thread is video memory. DX9 apps like FSX need to shadow the video memory in VAS and it counts against the 4GB limit. You want to enable the columns "Working set" and "Peak working set" in task manager - that's the best approximation for how much memory FSX is actually using moment to moment. Add your video memory size to this and you have roughly, thought not exactly, how much VAS the sim is actually using - you'll find that it's probably very very close to the 4GB limit when you do that. There is no solution for exceeding this value - it's an unavoidable limitation of 32-bit applications (the number of possible values in a bit (2) to the 32nd power = 4GB). We'd need a 64-bit version of FSX.exe (16 exabytes of theoretical VAS) to truly solve it.
Working Set is physical memory, not Virtual Memory. Since VM is always higher than WS, at 3.2 - 3.3GB of RAM usage the VM usage is probably close enough to the 4GB limit.To monitor virtual memory usage, you can't use the task manager. You need Process Explorer from Windows SysinternalsAnd I'll ask this again. Are you guys sure the entire VRAM address range is mapped into the app's VAS in DX9? What is your VAS usage like in DX10 compared to DX9? Mine is more or less the same in DX9 and DX10If it was the GPU's VRAM, wouldn't it be an issue regardless of the plane being flown? I have to clarify I've got no memory problems with the NGX here, so I'm more inclined to think it's something else besides the VRAM thing

My PC RAM is 6GB with Intel i7 64. Do I need to incerase RAM to 8 or 12 GB for 737-NGX?Thanks

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"