Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Forget Keywest! Santos here I come!

I thought it was part of the requirements of being an ATC on VATSIM that Controllers know english? At least enough to communicate with the pilots should any fly into their Airspace. Could be wrong though.

I thought it was part of the requirements of being an ATC on VATSIM that Controllers know english? At least enough to communicate with the pilots should any fly into their Airspace. Could be wrong though.
It should be. In IVAO it is. The tests are all in english, but they are written tests. In the prectical exams you communicate with the language used in you country. Occasionally a pilot arrives speaking English (generally 2 or 3 per exam), but if you can keep them away from other traffic, that's enough. Fluency is not worth of many points in the practical exams, if at all. Well, but if fluency was worth too many points, many controllers would fail the exam and we wouldn't have as many ACC, APP and TWR controllers as we have today.

Matheus Mafra

Don't give up on flying online in Brazil. Many controllers here doesn't speak even portuguese... LOL!!I'm controlling almost 100% of time at SBGL/SBRJ. If you see me online, you're welcome. Search for Gabriel Toledano AFS3 on IVAO, around 2100Z til 2300Z.

On VATSIM Brazil Unicom: 123.450 Attention All Traffic, this is American Airlines Flight 2020 on approach to SBRJ. No Hablo Spanish, Não estou a falar Portuguese. LOL.giflaugh.pngLMAO.gifRaised%20Eyebrow.gif I have always wanted to say that Brazil Unicom! LMAO!

I'm controlling almost 100% of time at SBGL/SBRJ. If you see me online, you're welcome. Search for Gabriel Toledano
I will look for you when I am in Brazil. Currently at SAEZ after flying out of SBRJ last night. Me and a buddy might fly back to SBRJ tonight or tomorrow from SAEZ. Big%20Grin.gif

Like someone else said on another post about Santos Dummont, landing in it feels like beig on a jet fighter on a case I recovery into USS Eisenhower. Autobrakes always on max, flaps 40 mandatory. I freaking love this airport. The hospital I work in is 800m away and even when I´m in surgery I´m always uncounsciously hearing the Boeings and Airbus fly overhead on their way into downwinf for 20L. Friday afternoon I´m taking the Rio-São Paulo air bridge (SBRJ-SBSP). My old buddy and flight instructor is a FO for Gol who flies the air bridge. I´ll call him tonight and see what are my chances of sitting at the jumpseat (provided there are no deadheads and he knows the crew). If it does happen, I´ll do my best to film the takeoff. Boa noite (good night) Post edited because apparently I was infringing forum rules. HINT: if you read this post earlier do a quick search on the web. shouldn´t be too hard to find and there is no indication anywhere that it is unlawful in my country to download or own a digital copy of said material.

Oops, my bad. My girlfriend ended up purchasing my tickets this week (damn expensive relationship, I know Money%20Eyes.gif ) and she got me Avianca tickets, they fly buses, which we all hate (just kidding). To top that off, I got no connections in that airline. I´ll try to get Gol tickets next week and call the dude.

Gabriel

Are you talking about this ones? I took them on June 10th, 2008. That was a good day!
Yes exactly! They are better when taken from Morro da Urca rather than Sugar Loaf. Nice shots! Paul
I can see why people love this airport. It will always be scary on both landing and takeoffs cause one little screw up and your Shark Food.
I would'nt say I'm such an old guy but I had the opportunity to make (as a passenger) a few flights to/from SBRJ - SBSP aboard the L-188. Wow! Suddenly those guys started to use the 73x and A31x not after lots of discussions about if it could be made or not. But there they are with lots of landings and departures every single day. And there are many stories regarding SBRJ. There is one from a taxi driver that decided to drive at a service street just behind RWY02 at the same moment a 73x was setting full throttles for departure. I don't remember if his taxi is still under the sea..... LOL.gif And there are old approach procedures to SBRJ that are no more in use. The old brazilian pilots already know them: SUVACO1 and SUVACO2 where the aircraft passed a little bit below the arms of the Christ over Corcovado. SUVACO 1 below right arm. SUVACO2 below left arm. What means SUVACO? I don't know there is a similar word in English. Maybe Google Translator can help us.... LOL Maybe we meet at IVAO sometime where I always fly. Cheers Schmid

And there are many stories regarding SBRJ. There is one from a taxi driver that decided to drive at a service street just behind RWY02 at the same moment a 73x was setting full throttles for departure. I don't remember if his taxi is still under the sea..... LOL.gif
That's a interesting one. Don't know if it really happened or not, but even Mythbusters tried to blow a car away using jet engines after reading about this in the newspaper. That street is the only access via land to Escola Naval and it's the best place to spot airplanes in SBRJ. No need to explain why. I don't know why in hell the driver wanted to cross the runway behind a departing airplane.

Matheus Mafra

It did happen Matheus. I remember reading about it and seeing pictures on the paper the following day. Must´ve been sometime between 5-10 years ago

Yeah. I was just a child back then, but I remeber hearing about that in the news quite some time ago. That's why I didn't affirm anything. Child memories are not something you can trust 100%, ya know...

Matheus Mafra

That's a interesting one. Don't know if it really happened or not, but even Mythbusters tried to blow a car away using jet engines after reading about this in the newspaper. That street is the only access via land to Escola Naval and it's the best place to spot airplanes in SBRJ. No need to explain why. I don't know why in hell the driver wanted to cross the runway behind a departing airplane, but I know that he'll never do that again LMAO.gif
He will never do that again, because he died! He crushed his head on the rocks, which resulted on a 5h surgery to drain the hematoma. He had 63 at the time, it happened on 2002. There are MANY other incidents like that when L-188 Electra II used to fly there, maybe around 10. One of them was caused by a request from the tower. A Kadett's driver didn't respect the sound alarm, ignoring the guard signals to move. The L-188 PP-VJM (the one that is preserved at MUSAL, here in Rio) was sitting on RWY 02R waiting to takeoff, and the damn Kadett just behind him. ATC told the pilots about the situation and asked if they were "comfortable" to takeoff. The captain that day hold on the brakes and applied full power. ATC then told: "Now you're cleared to takeoff!". The captain released the brakes and made a 180º curve to the right after takeoff to see the "damage". The Kadett driver was outside the vehicle, staring at his destructed car. LOL! I'll never forget this story, my father (which is a former VARIG pilot) told me. Like Schmid said, there's a LOT of good stories about this UNIQUE airport. It's fascinating!

Do you guys want me to hook you up with the GOL SOP that teaches you to operate the 800SFP into and out of SBRJ? Like someone else said on another post about Santos Dummont, landing in it feels like beig on a jet fighter on a case I recovery into USS Eisenhower. Autobrakes always on max, flaps 40 mandatory. I freaking love this airport. The hospital I work in is 800m away and even when I´m in surgery I´m always uncounsciously hearing the Boeings and Airbus fly overhead on their way into downwinf for 20L. Friday afternoon I´m taking the Rio-São Paulo air bridge (SBRJ-SBSP). My old buddy and flight instructor is a FO for Gol who flies the air bridge. I´ll call him tonight and see what are my chances of sitting at the jumpseat (provided there are no deadheads and he knows the crew). If it does happen, I´ll do my best to film the takeoff. Boa noite (good night)
Check your PMs, as soon as possible.

He will never do that again, because he died! He crushed his head on the rocks, which resulted on a 5h surgery to drain the hematoma. He had 63 at the time, it happened on 2002.
OMG!!! I didn't know he died. I thought he suffered injuries only. If I knew I'd never do a joke like that. I've already removed that from my previous post. Sorry.

Matheus Mafra

OMG!!! I didn't know he died. I thought he suffered injuries only. If I knew I'd never do a joke like that. I've already removed that from my previous post. Sorry.
Hahah no problem at all, Matheus! In fact, he'll never do that again! LOL! I'd like to show you all some other pictures I took. I want you guys to be interested on the airport, and fly in/out here as many as you can! Here they are: _MG_4275_1024.jpgI love my home airport at this time of the day. Rio has an incredible mix of beauty: City + Montains + Sea... =) _MG_4318_1024.jpgTaking off from RWY 20L, making a left turn to avoid the Sugar Loaf _MG_4117_1024.jpgI really miss this scene... =( 20071231_0764.jpgThat's me, 4 years ago.