Sign in to follow this  
RomeoMike

fog layers not seen from above

Hi,I use the ASE weather engine as well as graphics from REX.When I approach a region with low visibility, I have a very clear 'nice weather' visual contact with the ground until actually entering the fog layer where all turns grey and foggy from one moment to the other.Is there any setting I've done wrong. If there's fog, the ground shouldn't be visible from any altitude above the fog layer.Thanks,Ralf

Hi Ralf,This would be normal if you have "FS Haze Layer" disabled in options. Our "Fog Layer Simulation" is meant to replace the haze layer, and adds a low cloud layer to restrict visibility. Do you have this enabled?So the solutions are either to a. re-enable FS haze layer or b. enable fog layer simulation.Does this help?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thank you Damian for your quick reply.I checked my options and both Fog Layer Generation as well as Disable Haze Layer were checked. I unchecked the Disable Haze Layer box and left the Fof Layer Generation box checked.It's the foggy season in europe, so it shouldn't be long until I find out if or not the problem is solved.Thanks,Ralf

Thank you Damian for your quick reply.I checked my options and both Fog Layer Generation as well as Disable Haze Layer were checked. I unchecked the Disable Haze Layer box and left the Fof Layer Generation box checked.It's the foggy season in europe, so it shouldn't be long until I find out if or not the problem is solved.Thanks,Ralf
Ralf, please share your result here.Thanks,Dirk.

Ralf, please share your result here.Thanks,Dirk.
Hi Dirk,Had a beautilfull low visibility landing yesterday in heavy fog.Happy to tell you that this solved my problem. The ground was covered by clouds and landing was in heavy fog. It was a quite logical solution, sorry for not having thought of this myself.Thanks for your help,Ralf

Hi Dirk,Had a beautilfull low visibility landing yesterday in heavy fog.Happy to tell you that this solved my problem. The ground was covered by clouds and landing was in heavy fog. It was a quite logical solution, sorry for not having thought of this myself.Thanks for your help,Ralf
I'll derive the benefit of this setting too.Thanks for sharing.Dirk.

Hi Damian,Just to follow on from Ralfs post,it's probably ME, but I too am having this problem.Visability on the ground less than 1 mile (Can't see a thing)but if I climb to around 4-5000ft & fly overhead the airport,it can be seen clear as day. Not very realistic sad.pngSettings in Visibility Options Are,Fog layer Generation (Checked)Disable Haze Layer (Unchecked)Graduation Ceiling (8000)Minimum Surface Vis (0)Maximun Surface Vis (100)Maximum Upper Vis (60)Any help appreciated.Thank you,Paul.

Hi,why can ASE not do this:When Fog is on Airport, then ASE can generate Visibility like in Metar,and it could make an Overcast Cloud layer in the Altitude which is set in Graduation ceiling Altitude.So we can have an Fog, and over the Fog is the Cloud Layer visible.This could be much better then the stratus wich AES use for it.

Do this. While loading, tick enhance route coverage and set graduation all the way up to 15000 ft.

Tom Link

Add me onto the list of unhappy fog hunters, this morning I took off from LIML with a heavy fog then as I climb all of a sudden fog disappears and I can see everything under me.Unrealistic!Is there a way to fix this behaviour? I tried the suggestions above without success but I assume it cannot be done otherwise it would be setup as default.It was one of the major reasons why I bought ASE.

Why can't you load DWC in ASE? This is the only way to have nice fog cover all the way up to desired altitude.And sign your posts - as per forum rules.

Tom Link

Tomi, not sure if you are replying to me.I have tried both direct and DWC (does it stand for direct weather control or direct wind control?)In any case I have opened a ticket on the hifi technologies website and Damian got in touch already.Hopefully it is something I am missing in my configuration that prevents the fog from being displayed correctly.

Ok, and yes, I was relating to you :) Good that you have been contacted already. The thing is that I am using DWC and got perfect fog, also wisible from above, however result is close to what it can be, and I am not too demanding.

Tom Link

Ok, and yes, I was relating to you :) Good that you have been contacted already. The thing is that I am using DWC and got perfect fog, also wisible from above, however result is close to what it can be, and I am not too demanding.
Tomi, could you please share your settings? Ideally screenshots of every relevant ASE page, if it works for you it must work for me too.I do find DWC the best option of the three (why is it not the default?) but still got the disappearing fog issue.

I am terrible with screens :) but do this...Enhance route coverage - ON;Additional stations - ON;Make sure you file flight plan to ASE.Set visibility graduation to something like 10,000 feet.Set a flight somewhere where it is foggy. For that Europe might be good choice now, as there are fogs all around the continent since a week. Take a flight and tell me how it was.

Tom Link