Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

CTD's even after FSUIPC update - possible fix shared here

update! Some 32-bit versions of C++ runtimes appear to be needed for proper operation of PMDG 737ngx.I have to credit JIM (Firehawk) who told me that I might rue the removal of some of the x86 (32-bit) C++ runtimes from my 64-bit Win 7 FSX box. Turns out Jim was right. I did a complete uninstall of the mighty PMDG 737ngx and then reinstalled the original base file and then SP1b. I noted that some 32-bit flavors of C++ came along with the reinstall. Funny thing was the plane operated better and more as I expected, problems like the N1 and SPEED buttons not working and some other minor annoyances appeared remediated. I had already tried SP1b before but did not leave the x86 C++ runtimes on my system... not a good move. So I'm thanking Firehawk for his sage advice, and recommending others not go where I bravely went...

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Guest firehawk44
update! Some 32-bit versions of C++ runtimes appear to be needed for proper operation of PMDG 737ngx.I have to credit JIM (Firehawk) who told me that I might rue the removal of some of the x86 (32-bit) C++ runtimes from my 64-bit Win 7 FSX box. Turns out Jim was right. I did a complete uninstall of the mighty PMDG 737ngx and then reinstalled the original base file and then SP1b. I noted that some 32-bit flavors of C++ came along with the reinstall. Funny thing was the plane operated better and more as I expected, problems like the N1 and SPEED buttons not working and some other minor annoyances appeared remediated. I had already tried SP1b before but did not leave the x86 C++ runtimes on my system... not a good move. So I'm thanking Firehawk for his sage advice, and recommending others not go where I bravely went...
Good update Robert and thanks for your kind comments. "Sage advice" huh? I can't take all the credit though.... Google is my friend. Happy flying!Best regards,Jim

Good update Robert and thanks for your kind comments. "Sage advice" huh? I can't take all the credit though.... Google is my friend. Happy flying!Best regards,Jim
Well, you kept telling me, but I couldn't listen. Now, I'm listening! :Loser:Amazing, your i7 2600k box is a nearly identical twin to mine, down to the motherboard, and I also chose Noctua for cooling. I got crazy brave with the Crucial 500GB m4 SSD, which has actually performed quite nicely. I discovered the 500GB Seagate Momentus XD Nano-flash Hybrid hard disk for my notebook, and it very closely rivals the SSD for speed. I am not using it for my FSX box, but would highly recommend it at $169 street (Staples.com) compared to the quite pricey Crucial 500gb SSD. Seagate claims (and I believe it) that the Momentus XD boots within seconds of an SSD drive. It has 4GB of nano-flash right on the drive (plus a 32MB cache), and it learns which files run at boot up time and puts those in the Nano flash area. My laptop is so much faster now, it actually has smoke coming out of it! :( I was shocked at how razor-sharp the cooling fins are on the Noctua DH-14. I actually bought a pair of heavy gloves at Home Depot that I wore when I mounted that beast. Love that HAF-X tower, don't you? You could put a small city in there! I went with MSI for the GTX 580 in lieu of EVGA. The cooling pipes on the MSI GPU are astonishingly efficient, I have mine configured to clock at 1.0Ghz. ONly thing I wanted was the 3GB of DDR5 memory but it was back-ordered at Amazon, so like you, I went with 1.5GB.The Corsair Vengeance lo-profile ram kit (16GB) fits very well beneath the DH-14, no interference whatsoever.Do you get the double-POST at startup time on your P8P67? I have the 1850 bios as well (4.7GHZ OC) and since day 1 it has been doing that. I don't actually care, it just bugs me. I guess that means I care.Have a happy New Year, Jim!Robert

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Guest firehawk44

Hi Robert! No I never had the double-post at startup. I know it was an issue with these boards but I never got it. You might check the following link if you haven't already - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578675, especially the PCI-e recommendation in the first post at this link. There are other suggestions at that link. I also check the following site for driver updates periodically - http://www.overclock.net/t/910402/asus-p67-series-information-thread-drivers-bioses-overclocking-reviews and make sure my drivers are kept up-to-date. However, it is strange why some get the double-post and others do not. I suspect it is a setting in your bios and/or they also recommend clearing/resetting the CMOS before flashing a new BIOS (I have never done that yet and still no issues with double-posts). I also use the XMP profile in the BIOS as suggested by SpiritFlyer in the Hardware Forum (he has a pinned thread where people can display their BIOS settings). That has worked very well for me and my system remains very stable. I just didn't overclock to 5.0GHz. SpiritFlyer has almost the exact same system as I have and he is a bit more of a computer guru than I am. I had my overclock to 4.8GHz but lowered it to 4.4GHz and the speed difference is not much and it keeps my system a little cooler.FSX is more CPU dependent. Past versions of FS, the GPU was more dependent. So I really don't care about overclocking the GPU and have it set at default settings and that works well with me. I tried to overclock it once but started getting errors like "display driver not responding" so I left it at the default.Happy New Year!Best regards,Jim

Hi Robert! No I never had the double-post at startup. I know it was an issue with these boards but I never got it. You might check the following link if you haven't already - http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1578675, especially the PCI-e recommendation in the first post at this link. There are other suggestions at that link. I also check the following site for driver updates periodically - http://www.overclock...locking-reviews and make sure my drivers are kept up-to-date. However, it is strange why some get the double-post and others do not. I suspect it is a setting in your bios and/or they also recommend clearing/resetting the CMOS before flashing a new BIOS (I have never done that yet and still no issues with double-posts). I also use the XMP profile in the BIOS as suggested by SpiritFlyer in the Hardware Forum (he has a pinned thread where people can display their BIOS settings). That has worked very well for me and my system remains very stable. I just didn't overclock to 5.0GHz. SpiritFlyer has almost the exact same system as I have and he is a bit more of a computer guru than I am. I had my overclock to 4.8GHz but lowered it to 4.4GHz and the speed difference is not much and it keeps my system a little cooler.FSX is more CPU dependent. Past versions of FS, the GPU was more dependent. So I really don't care about overclocking the GPU and have it set at default settings and that works well with me. I tried to overclock it once but started getting errors like "display driver not responding" so I left it at the default.Happy New Year!Best regards,Jim
Happy New Year to you Jim! I have tried the Pci/e suggestion and have the latest BIOS, but still get the double-post. I will simply live with it, as my system is stable at 4.73 Ghz mobo clock 1666 Ram Speed. The GPU is stable at 1.0Ghz, the default clock was like 700mhz if memory serves me correctly.I appreciate your tips and suggestions!Have a good one!Robert.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg