Sign in to follow this  
rob345

AS2012 WX influenced graphics

Hi,I have two question concerning the WX influenced graphics in AS2012.1.) Which weather station does the function consider when installing the graphics? The manual says "your current location", but when FSX is closed there is no current location...? Thus, I assume that it will take the currently displayed airport at the WX Report page of AS2012?2.) Concerning the weather-influenced values that are used to determine weather-related textures: It seems to me that all values are set to 5 (but I didn't check all of them...). Consequently, at "delivery condition" of AS2012 (without modifying all these values by myself) the WX influenced graphics function acts only as random texture selection, right?Thanks in advance.

Robert Budde
Visit FSXWX for a free and immersive weather engine!

Hi,Yes, it would be the station you've selected in Report Screen, as this becomes your "closest" as far as AS is concerned, when FSX is not connected. This only applies to manual Wx-Influenced install via the wx-influenced button in Graphics screen. During post-plan process, this is route average conditions based on your route of flight.For wx-influenced values, the majority of textures are set to 5, for maximum variation, but not all... we've tried to identify those textures which tend to me more appropriate for specific conditions, and assign those. You will notice most variation in Clouds (especially cirrus), Sky, Water Waves, etc.... These wx-influenced values are all completely configurable of course, to give you the best results for your expectations (which is subjective of course). So no, wx-influence is not the same as completely random.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Damian, it would be great to have wx-influenced values pre-set (rather than 5 on most of them). In REX one can see much better screen for specific bmp file and a briefly description (thus, expected weather condition in which such texture may be found)Also, I'd love to see halo.bmp files variant for Th2Go - right now in full screen (5760x1080) considerable part of the screen is covered by huge lights. My workaround is to overwrite it with halo.bmp created by Mike S. some time ago. But this gives me every time the same textures

Damian, it would be great to have wx-influenced values pre-set (rather than 5 on most of them). In REX one can see much better screen for specific bmp file and a briefly description (thus, expected weather condition in which such texture may be found)Also, I'd love to see halo.bmp files variant for Th2Go - right now in full screen (5760x1080) considerable part of the screen is covered by huge lights. My workaround is to overwrite it with halo.bmp created by Mike S. some time ago. But this gives me every time the same textures
HI,For the runways lights size, you must enter the config in the fsx.cfg to control the size of them,in the [Display] section add these below and adjust value for your preference size.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_APPROACH_SCALAR=0.5 (or 0.3 or 0.005) etc.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_STROBE_SCALAR=0.5 or (or 0.3 or 0.005) etc.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_SURFACE_SCALAR=0.5 or (or 0.3 or 0.005) etc.RUNWAY_LIGHTS_VASI_SCALAR=0.5 or (or 0.3 or 0.005) etc.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

I tried the WX Influenced option as soon as I installed AS2012, and I saw that the textures used for the clouds were 4096x4096 (the various .bmp files had a size of approximately 5 Mb). Then I went to the graphics settings and 1024x1024 was selected. That means that the WX Influenced option install 4096 textures or can I still choose the size I prefer?Thank you.

James Goggi

I tried the WX Influenced option as soon as I installed AS2012, and I saw that the textures used for the clouds were 4096x4096 (the various .bmp files had a size of approximately 5 Mb). Then I went to the graphics settings and 1024x1024 was selected. That means that the WX Influenced option install 4096 textures or can I still choose the size I prefer?Thank you.
Hi,The option for resolution are fixed for manual install or wx influenced, if you select 4096x4096 they, this resolution will be used for manual install and wx influenced but as default they are 1024x1024, you have to change this to 4096 if you want this resolution, same for others area.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris, I totally forget about this... Anyway, after few hours of tuning and tweaking, I decided to use old halo.bmp though. It is impossible to have all the runway lights more or less in scale together with 'supernova' AI landing lights and UTX night lightning.Thanks for the tip anyway!

++1 on the halo.bmp for triple head to go.
Yep. Same here. I have to replace the halo.bmp as well otherwise i get the balloon lights. It would be nice if there was an option for this. Great product though - very happy with it!

+1. I turn of runway lights in the settings menu so texture loads do not write over the halo.bmp file.

Hi, Well for the Th2Go users, I will made all existent halo sets compatible for Th2Go.
Fantastic! Thanks Chris!

+1 on having a more complete wx-influence selection process "out-of-the-box" since I too find it quite hard to know what types of textures to choose depending on the weather. Extra hard when there is no description of the textures and when this and that type of clouds for example would be present IRL and without being a meteorologist :wink:Then a second thing which in a way is related to this topic and I also mentioned this in another thread, would be great if you could look into the possibility to make the texture installation process a little bit smarter so it will only install textures that have actually changed since last time they were installed instead of the way it is now installing all textures every time even when they haven't changed...lots of time wasted for nothing. I know you can manually get around this by deselecting the texture types you don't want to have installed every time but would be a much nicer solution if this could be handled automatically with a smarter installation routine.

Richard Åsberg