Sign in to follow this  
BrianG

Trying to auto-land KJAC, RNAV Y 19. Can't do it

So I'm sure I doing something wrong but not sure what. I'm trying to auto- land in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on RNAV Y 19 using Deceb as the transition. The plane gets down to about 20 feet but won't touch down on the runway and keeps flying. According to the FAA charts, the TDZE is 6451, Apt Ele is 6451. The FMC gives final attitude for that approach at 6501. When I attempt to change it to the published altitude (6451) I get an invalid entry notice. I'm sure the problem will be obvious to some but not to me. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong here.Thanks a lot,Brian

I'm trying to auto- land in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on RNAV Y 19 using Deceb as the transition.
There's your problem right there. RNAV isn't currently certified for autoland, neither is the equipment in the aircraft.Note, if you look at the chart, the line does not continue all the way to the runway:http://204.108.4.16/...3/00504RY19.PDF...as opposed to this CAT-III certed approach into IAD:http://204.108.4.16/.../05100I1RC3.PDF Edited by scandinavian13

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for your help. I'm new to RNAV. Been flying ILS approaches with a Boeing 727 and 707, neither of which have a FMC or GPS. Learned something new today. Every little bit helps. Thanks again.

Cat II or III ILS approaches are the only types you can autoland with legally in the real world. In FSX any ILS will do. You need both radios and course knobs tuned to the ILS frequency and you need to arm both autopilots above 800 feet RA.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

just to add, before you are able to arm both autopilots, the aircraft must already have captured and tracking the LOC and G/S

Not quite. I am not sure about vorloc, but it is definitely enough that gs is armed.

just to add, before you are able to arm both autopilots, the aircraft must already have captured and tracking the LOC and G/S
Not true - you can arm both APs prior to the capture of either mode - the only requirement is both radios tuned, above 800 RA and APP pressed (white VOR/LOC and G/S present).

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Cat II or III ILS approaches are the only types you can autoland with legally in the real world. In FSX any ILS will do. You need both radios and course knobs tuned to the ILS frequency and you need to arm both autopilots above 800 feet RA.
Because in FSX any ILS is Cat III, regardless of the real world certification (AFAIK). The ILS Cat depends on the accuracy of the localiser and glidslope equipment installed on the ground (in combination with systems to ensure the accuracy is always maintained, back-up systems in case of failures, etc). A Cat III system has an error margin that is small enough to ensure the aircraft will always* land on the runway if it follows the loc and g/s down to the bottom. With a Cat I system the error might be large enough that the aircraft could end up next to the runway, which is why visual confirmation is required in time for the pilot to correct the approach path if necessary. In FSX I believe errors in the ILS system are not modeled, so any ILS is accurate enough to provide Cat III guidance, regardless of the real world performance.Of course the equipment installed on the plane must also be accurate enough, which is why the plane itself also needs to be certified in order to be able to fly Cat III approaches. Due to the same FSX limitations, any plane is automatically Cat III capable in FS.*Life doesn't come with guarantees, so for always in this case read: with a chance less than 1 in so many tens (or hundreds) of millions that something goes wrong.John-Alan Pascoe

Greetings from Jackson! Welcome to my neck of the woods. JAC is a neat little airport to fly in/out of. Have to love the antler arches when you're walking in from the ramp. The bad thing is the runway is so short, I really have to watch my W&B so I can actually get off the ground.Dana PalmerKJAC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Dana,I'm jealous - the Jackson Hole/Tetons area is one of my family's favorite places on Earth - such amazing scenery. It's been quite a few years since I've been up there though - is Billy's Burgers still there? I remember that place being really good!

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

KJAC KSUN KEGE and KTEX are All fun little airports to get into not sure i would try ktex in the NGX i fly into KJAC all the time from KSLC and never have any problems getting in it's getting out !!!! DNW to Quirt 109.1 187deg should get you there and if you Depart using Alpin1 make sure you are loaded light and @ 15000@ KicneGreetings WYFOX im Originally from Rawlins living in Utah right now and spend some time in Thayne !! in the summer of course and have a few friends kicking around in JAC

Not true - you can arm both APs prior to the capture of either mode - the only requirement is both radios tuned, above 800 RA and APP pressed (white VOR/LOC and G/S present).
interesting, well for me up until SP1B i always had to wait for both the LOC and G/S to capture before i could arm the second AP, if i pressed the other CMB button before both are captured it would just switch over to that AP, will try it again next time i fly an ILS

Thanks Ryan and all other who posted wisdom on this thread. All peices of the puzzle are greatfully received. Years ago I did a bicycle trip across the USA. I'll never forget Jackson and the Grand Tetons. FSX really did a nice job recreating the scenery for this area. For those who live in Jackson, you're lucky souls.Cheers,Brian

Nah, it's some other burger place now (MacPhail's). I have to say, flying IRL in to JAC is quite an adventure! Lots of turbulence and that sinking feeling in your gut. Living out here has been a big change, I've always been in the city and the Midwest. Can't say how much I love it out here, though I do miss all my ethnic restaurants :(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC