I bought days a couple of weeks ago, and my fps are getting hard when climbing, cruising. On the ground, my fps are the same as before rex, about 20-30 in complex airports with 100% WOAI traffic. However, ever since installing REX, my frames have been dipping into the low teens whenever there is even a small amount of clouds. Thus, I have to set max cloud resolutions to 1024, but my frames remain in the low teens. I have noticed panning around that it only occurs when I look at clouds. Is my graphics card the bottleneck as it can't handle the REX clouds with my other (almost maxed out) settings? Do you think overclocking it might help a little? Thanks.

Edited by kjjj11223344

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpgsig_TheBusIveBeenWaitingFor.jpg

Alfredo Terrero

I bought days a couple of weeks ago, and my fps are getting hard when climbing, cruising. On the ground, my fps are the same as before rex, about 20-30 in complex airports with 100% WOAI traffic. However, ever since installing REX, my frames have been dipping into the low teens whenever there is even a small amount of clouds. Thus, I have to set max cloud resolutions to 1024, but my frames remain in the low teens. I have noticed panning around that it only occurs when I look at clouds. Is my graphics card the bottleneck as it can't handle the REX clouds with my other (almost maxed out) settings? Do you think overclocking it might help a little? Thanks.
Hace you used ******* Altuve's online tweak tool?If not, run your FSX CFG through HERE.Your graphics card is not a bottleneck for FSX. I have a very similar setup and I rarely ever loose 40-50FPS. Overclocking higher might give you ~2-3FPS.Also, do you run the Shader3mod from ******* Altuve? This is known to help ease the framerate with cloud rendering on newer hardware.

It's the clouds vs. your GPU. Hi-res clouds can be an FPS killer. I'll give you several pointers:
  • Use a lower resolution setting in REX (2048x2048) and/or DX5 compression. Don't forget to reinstall the clouds.
  • Higher anti-aliasing settings will bring your PC to her knees with hi-res clouds. Lower the AA settings in Inspector. What are they now, by the way?

You have to make a trade off! Play around with the lower clouds. Leave your fsx.cfg at 4096.Your GPU is the culprit here, but something tells me you're asking a lot of it.

Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

It's the clouds vs. your GPU. Hi-res clouds can be an FPS killer. I'll give you several pointers:
  • Use a lower resolution setting in REX (2048x2048) and/or DX5 compression. Don't forget to reinstall the clouds.
  • Higher anti-aliasing settings will bring your PC to her knees with hi-res clouds. Lower the AA settings in Inspector. What are they now, by the way?

You have to make a trade off! Play around with the lower clouds. Leave your fsx.cfg at 4096.Your GPU is the culprit here, but something tells me you're asking a lot of it.

I've got a weaker card than him and I run everything almost maxed out beautifully. I don't think his card is the issue.

I've got a weaker card than him and I run everything almost maxed out beautifully. I don't think his card is the issue.
Keep in mind I mentioned AA, cloud res settings, and the combinations therein. If frames are dropping off when looking at clouds, it's obviously 100% the GPU. No doubt.You're not experiencing the same issues because you're not running the same settings. ;) Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Keep in mind I mentioned AA, cloud res settings, and the combinations therein. If frames are dropping off when looking at clouds, it's obviously 100% the GPU. No doubt.You're not experiencing the same issues because you're not running the same settings. ;)
Well.... I guess you're right about AA, but I run the 4096 clouds. Strange that he is having these issues.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do have my FSX.cfg tweaked with bojotes tool, I am using dxt5, and I'm already using 1024 clouds. However, I think Zack is on to something as I am using 4xsq aa along with all the settings that are in the pinned topic in the pmdg forum. Could this be the culprit?

Alfredo Terrero

Thanks for the responses guys. I do have my FSX.cfg tweaked with bojotes tool, I am using dxt5, and I'm already using 1024 clouds. However, I think Zack is on to something as I am using 4xsq aa along with all the settings that are in the pinned topic in the pmdg forum. Could this be the culprit?
Yes. I have tried the settings in the PMDG forum and have found them to be quite useless IMO. They kill FPS like crazy and the visual upgrade is minimal. I'd just use FSX for all of the AA and AF settings.

Yes. I have tried the settings in the PMDG forum and have found them to be quite useless IMO. They kill FPS like crazy and the visual upgrade is minimal. I'd just use FSX for all of the AA and AF settings.
Okay good to know ive found the problem. Unfortunately I've tried to use te FSX default anti aliasing, and personally, I do notice a difference. So is there any other aa setting in inspector which will give me good aa but not so much of an fps hit on my card?

Alfredo Terrero

Okay good to know ive found the problem. Unfortunately I've tried to use te FSX default anti aliasing, and personally, I do notice a difference. So is there any other aa setting in inspector which will give me good aa but not so much of an fps hit on my card?
Not that I know of. To use the settings in Nvidia Inspector, you need to have a GTX560ti or higher. I tried the settings and saw a sharp drop of framerate.

Try 8xQ AA and 8x Super sampling. Stay away from any sparse grid super sampling.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I have a similar video card ( 460GTX 1GB)what Nvidia drivers are you using?I have the 275.33 drivers for my video card. Works great on my system...I only use 8xS AA /16xAF through Inspector and have excellent image quality - little or no shimmering ..... No need for any additional supersampling .some drivers work better than others , i am happy with these...Clouds will kill FPS( in both Fs9 and FSX) , if you like to fly in heavy weather , that is what a high end video card is needed for.But try just using 8xS AA and see how the clouds perform ....

Not that I know of. To use the settings in Nvidia Inspector, you need to have a GTX560ti or higher. I tried the settings and saw a sharp drop of framerate.
So, if I understand correctly, on your 450 you aren't using Nvidia Inspector, but only selecting Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering in FSX settings to on?Becasue if you do my man, then I don't understand how you can say that NI settings with 8xS + 2xSGSS bring only little visual upgrade - you must either be blind or just ignorant :Shocked:That they kill the GPU, it's a known thing - and this is why I said on oh so many threads why I have a GTX580 and why it's important to have a strong card!To the OP, you should try 8xS without SGSS. The latter one really kills the weaker GPUs.Note: people are saying 8xS for little or no shimmering. Wrong. If I'd do a video for every statement I made I could sit here all day... but... try Aerosoft LFMN with 8xS only... and have a shimmering mess.It's all dependant what, where... even 2x SGSS is quite weak when it comes to only some places, 4x SGSS really gets rid of 99% of shimmering... but is a major killer even on GTX580. Edited by Kosta

I have a similar video card ( 460GTX 1GB)what Nvidia drivers are you using?I have the 275.33 drivers for my video card. Works great on my system...I only use 8xS AA /16xAF through Inspector and have excellent image quality - little or no shimmering ..... No need for any additional supersampling .some drivers work better than others , i am happy with these...Clouds will kill FPS( in both Fs9 and FSX) , if you like to fly in heavy weather , that is what a high end video card is needed for.But try just using 8xS AA and see how the clouds perform ....
So, if I understand correctly, on your 450 you aren't using Nvidia Inspector, but only selecting Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering in FSX settings to on?Becasue if you do my man, then I don't understand how you can say that NI settings with 8xS + 2xSGSS bring only little visual upgrade - you must either be blind or just ignorant :Shocked:That they kill the GPU, it's a known thing - and this is why I said on oh so many threads why I have a GTX580 and why it's important to have a strong card!To the OP, you should try 8xS without SGSS. The latter one really kills the weaker GPUs.Note: people are saying 8xS for little or no shimmering. Wrong. If I'd do a video for every statement I made I could sit here all day... but... try Aerosoft LFMN with 8xS only... and have a shimmering mess.It's all dependant what, where... even 2x SGSS is quite weak when it comes to only some places, 4x SGSS really gets rid of 99% of shimmering... but is a major killer even on GTX580.
Again, thanks for the suggestions guys. I tried Zach's settings and frames stopped dipping into the low teens with clouds. Will have to try 8xS to see if I like the quality more and the relative performance. I'm running the latest beta drivers by the way (was running 285.62 but these had an issue with movie maker. I'll try 275.33 and see how I get along). Edited by kjjj11223344

Alfredo Terrero