Sign in to follow this  
Luis_KMIA

Getting an "out of memory" message lately

The 3gb can help with other applications, but for fsx yeah it's a waste.If you change it as mentioned you're basically removing the limit because it'll allow fsx the full 3gb. Best to leave it where it is for now, 1.5gb should be more than plenty for fsx.

I too am having problems related to memory. I am running FSX on an iMac i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram and a 1 gig ATI vid-card. My OS is Win 7 64 bit (running via Bootcamp) so I'm utilizing all 16 gigs or ram. Often, when I run any complex aircraft like those in the PMDG line, I can fly for about half an hour to an hour before my memory starts pooping out and certain aircraft functions like autopilot won't turn on, etc. Even the menu bar commands get washed out. Isn't there some kind of cache that FSX uses to dump sceneryand stuff you've already flown over , etc, thus freeing-up extra memory? I've even messed with my virtual memory settings with little improvement. Any ideas? Help in resolving this issue would be great ly appreciated. ThanksCheers,Summy

I am a happy customer. After SP1 i have not have one OOM . Before i was getting it almost 100% in EGLL,EHAM,LFPG,LOWI . now with Autogen Maxed out and TML=2048 everything is perfect under VAS4GBUltimate Traffic 2 at 30% seems to be my spot.Thanks PMDGMichaelI7-950@4,2HD5870 1GBWindows 7 64 SSD128GBRaptor 300GB FSX

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I too am having problems related to memory. I am running FSX on an iMac i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram and a 1 gig ATI vid-card. My OS is Win 7 64 bit (running via Bootcamp) so I'm utilizing all 16 gigs or ram. Often, when I run any complex aircraft like those in the PMDG line, I can fly for about half an hour to an hour before my memory starts pooping out and certain aircraft functions like autopilot won't turn on, etc. Even the menu bar commands get washed out. Isn't there some kind of cache that FSX uses to dump sceneryand stuff you've already flown over , etc, thus freeing-up extra memory? I've even messed with my virtual memory settings with little improvement. Any ideas? Help in resolving this issue would be great ly appreciated. ThanksCheers,Summy
Open fsx.cfg in notepad, scroll down to the (graphics) section & add the following line;HIGHMEMFIX=1That thould help you.

so, just to re-cap (I'm a bit confused now - not hard) The line: VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736 in my fsx.cfg will help me with a 1.753Gb GTX580 or hinder me?Will FSX love me or will I be looking at a slide-show? I've never heard of this line, as I am trying to wean myself off the crack addiction that is FSX.cfg editing but if FSX was never meant to run on such capable hardware, then I can see the value in a line like this..bestjake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I am running FSX on an iMac i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram
Poor you! I did this on my MacPro dual 2.5 Xeon with 16Gb DDR3, and it was ace, but it lept crashing..Apple didn't want to know; MS didn't want to know..]How is your virtual page file configured? Also, what make of RAM?(I run it on PC again now - it was just an experiment)I have some good Apple contacts but they know nothing about Bootcamp..In reality, BC IS a PC, as you are on PC hardware with a PC OS, but as usual, it's never that simple..bestjake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Open fsx.cfg in notepad, scroll down to the (graphics) section & add the following line;HIGHMEMFIX=1That thould help you.
Thanks for the info, Mr Ken. Adding that line seemed to have done the trick thus far. I did notice though that there's two FSX.cfg files. I added that line to both. Had a hell pf a time finding those files too, but the main thing is now I know where to look. Thanks again for your help

Poor you! I did this on my MacPro dual 2.5 Xeon with 16Gb DDR3, and it was ace, but it lept crashing..Apple didn't want to know; MS didn't want to know..]How is your virtual page file configured? Also, what make of RAM?(I run it on PC again now - it was just an experiment)I have some good Apple contacts but they know nothing about Bootcamp..In reality, BC IS a PC, as you are on PC hardware with a PC OS, but as usual, it's never that simple..bestjake
Jake. The ram I picked up was a package containing two 204 pin, 8 gig modules of Kingston DDR3 1333. Right now I'm letting windows set my VM for "best performance" and it set the page file size to 32746 megs- which I'm not sure is the most optimal setting but it seems to work ok.. I have my rig running with all the sliders maxed and I'm getting a pretty decent frame rate. As for Bootcamp: I love it. It creates a partiton on yout HD where Windows can reside and lets you decide how much space you want to utilize for runing windows. )Half my rig is Windows.You can choose which OS Mac or Windows you want to boot up with. I've always been a PC man but there's certain things I like about Macs.. especially this one with its 27 inch screen. Initially I was using a program called parallels to operate Windows but soon came to realize that I wasn't getting all the horsepower I wanted cuz it was also running the Mac OS as well. Parallels basically sets up a virtual machine that allows one to work with WIndows and the Mac environment at the same time, You can even drag and drop stuff from windows into mac, and vice-versa, It emulates your video -which I don't care for 'cuz your video adapter is emulated into one that's generic and limited to only 250 megs of vid, whereas I have a 1 gig ATI card in my machine and would be wasting 3/4 of its vid capacity. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with this Mac.. even boots up Windows much faster than a PC rig, go figure. Plus on the Mac side,it's not as vunerable to viruses as PC's are. Hope I've answered your question.. please feel free to ask if you've got more..

Hope I've answered your question.. please feel free to ask if you've got more..
Hey Sumguy (sorry, don't know your real name - beware, ppl will delete your posts unless you sign with yr real name round here!)Thanks for the reply..heh..I don't need any help; I was offering to help :) I run a large corporate IT support company..it's my job; we support Macs and PC's for about 100 companies..I do this every day..I was just trying to see if I could help with the BC issues..I pretty much know BC inside-out, as do I OSX, Windows and Parallels - not suprised that didn't work..Parallels is great for lab-type setups when we need to test stuff; like VMWare on the PC.It was specifically running FSX on my MacPro that was giving me gipp, so I called up Apple to discuss BC and certain types of RAM that we had been told by suplliers were "giving issues" with BC..Specifically we were told that adding more, not-exactly-the-same RAM to an already built BC/OS X system could cause BC to BSOD with memory caching errors, but only with certain makes of RAM (can't remember but this http://guides.macrumors.com/Windows_Gaming_on_a_Mac_FAQ is an excellent Windows gaming on BC blog - if you need it lol)Anyway, thanks again for the reply :)

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hey Sumguy (sorry, don't know your real name - beware, ppl will delete your posts unless you sign with yr real name round here!)Thanks for the reply..heh..I don't need any help; I was offering to help :) I run a large corporate IT support company..it's my job; we support Macs and PC's for about 100 companies..I do this every day..I was just trying to see if I could help with the BC issues..I pretty much know BC inside-out, as do I OSX, Windows and Parallels - not suprised that didn't work..Parallels is great for lab-type setups when we need to test stuff; like VMWare on the PC.It was specifically running FSX on my MacPro that was giving me gipp, so I called up Apple to discuss BC and certain types of RAM that we had been told by suplliers were "giving issues" with BC..Specifically we were told that adding more, not-exactly-the-same RAM to an already built BC/OS X system could cause BC to BSOD with memory caching errors, but only with certain makes of RAM (can't remember but this http://guides.macrum...ng_on_a_Mac_FAQ is an excellent Windows gaming on BC blog - if you need it lol)Anyway, thanks again for the reply :)
Thanx for the heads-up on the name thing, Jake. Uhm, do I have to use my last name too? As for my telling you about boot camp and Parallels: I'm now feeling a little duh coming on. Heheh. And here I was thinking that I was schooling you on something. Well, at least I now know who to come to with any Mac aand/or PC problems.Regards,George (my real name)BTW: Since I have you on the line here: In my initial posting I mentioned the issue I was having with running out of memory after some of my flights. Mr Ken replied that I should add the himemfix=1 to the FSX.cfg file. As I indicated in my followup post, I came across two directories with FSX.CFG and they seemed identical in content. I put the HIMEMFIX=1 line in both CFG files under the graphics section within both files. Does it matter where the HIMEMFIX=1 line is inserted within the graphics section; and is it ok that I added the line in both FSX.CFG files I came across, or should that line only go into of them? If only one, which one? Thanks in advance.

Last name too :)The second fsx.cfg could be some sort of backup. The actual file used by fsx is at the following location (with win7, im unsure about xp/vista)C:usersyour nameappdataroamingmicrosoftfsxIt doesn't matter where in the graphics section you put HIGHMEMFIX=1 as long as it's in that section.Edit: also, make sure you entered it as HIGHMEMFIX. It work work if you entered it as HIMEMFIX.

Edited by MrKen

A few days ago I bought Just Flight's "Sim Mega Pack" which is a three-disc set containing "World Airports"," C-130 Hercules", and "757 Captain". I'm having a problem with the 757 Captain which I'm wondering might be memory-related. I can't align the IRS 'cause the panel is blank and my inability to to set the IRS, I believe, is why my autopilot and LNAV and VNAV buttons don't work. There's also some other panels that appear blank. I looked around and found a couple other posts about this issue but no one seemed to have a concrete answer. Does this sound like it might be a memory allocation error or something? Is there anything I can add to any of the CFG files that might be a fix? Plane also seems to keep banking slowly to the right and there doesn't seem to be a way to trim it up. Can anyone help me, please?Regards,George PS @: Jake.. forgot to thank you for the Mac link you included in your last message. I'm sure it'll be of use to me at some point, so thanks, man.

Hey George, sorry, posts go down the page here very quickly! Why do you thuink the errors are memory related? Did the highmemfix work for you with NGX?And you original post has got me thinking..I'm going to re-install 7 x64 on my MacPro and install Prepar3d on it :Nerd:I still get an OOM message if I have left FSX running on pause for a while and then alt-enter back and forwards a lot..The graphics card is moving large chunks of data in and out of its RAM and I think it just coughs and you get an OOM every so often..I'd say your 757 issue is not the same thing..Have you been on theor forum over at JF's website? They'd probably be a better place to try for that..

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

The second fsx.cfg could be some sort of backup. The actual file used by fsx is at the following location (with win7, im unsure about xp/vista)C:usersyour nameappdataroamingmicrosoftfsxIt doesn't matter where in the graphics section you put HIGHMEMFIX=1 as long as it's in that section.Edit: also, make sure you entered it as HIGHMEMFIX. It work work if you entered it as HIMEMFIX.
Thanks Ken. I did put in the HIGHMEMFIX=1 as per your directionRegards,George Duncan

Hey George, sorry, posts go down the page here very quickly! Why do you thuink the errors are memory related? Did the highmemfix work for you with NGX?
Jake: I thought that the missing instrument panel thing might be due to memory because when memory gets low sometimes certain features won't work or show up. For example, back when I was using Parallels and would fly for a bit and then reload the flight( or a different one) some of the instruments wouldn't light up and outside views would yield a plane that had some of its outer skin missing to where you could actually see inside the aircraft; funny stuff like that. Most of the memory issues were cleared up when I installed Win 7/ 64 via Bootcamp. The HIGHMEMFIX=1 that Mr Ken suggested helped clear up most of the other memory issues I was having 'cause I could fly much longer and didnt suffer any program crashes. However, after awhile of flying and reloading a couple different aircraft during the same flight session, my outer views were showing parts of the plane's interior again with most of the outer skin gone. Back to the missing 757 panels though: After I sent that last post to you guys asking if the missing panels might be due to another memory issue, I concluded that it couldn't be because of not enough memory. I mean, I fly Capt Sims' B-52 Driver and it's got tons of insturments and other stuff that must eat a lot memory; that, and the fact that the 757 shouldn't be eating much memory if it's just sitting there with engines off. It was probably a stupid question for me to even ask, but figured, what the heck. One thing I did find out via playing around with the views was that the IRS alignment panel was present in the view mode where one can look around, but missing in the 2 D mode. Watched a couple youtube tutorials where the interior 3D mode was used to set up instruments but on mine, some don't work. At least now I can align the IRS and turn on the autopilot but there's other switches and stuff that are non-functioning, and I'm flying with certain things lit up that shouldn't be. Both Capt Sim and Just Flight have the same 757 Captain from what I've read, but some are saying that it's a collaborative effort that was started by Just Flight with the aid of Capt Sim.. or vice-versa. Bottom-line is that I can't get the mofo to work like it's supposed to and I can't find any patches for the prob -which apparently, others are having too. There.. I've said a mouthful. LMAO. Cheers,George Duncan