Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luis_KMIA

Getting an "out of memory" message lately

As you can see from the specs in my signature file, they are adequate for the NGX. I've been running the NGX very smoothly since its release. Lately, however, I'm getting an "out of memory" message followed by a CTD. I do not plan on posting a trouble ticket until I hear some feedback from other users.As far as isolating the problem. It is happening using the NGX toward the end of flights approaching the FSDT KLAX airport and the running the ORBX full terrain scenery approaching KSEA and also approaching the ORBX version of YMML. I've tried other flights with default FSX airports and some Latin VFR airports, and everything is OK. I also have 93GB free in a 256GB SSD dedicated to FSX only. I'll keep monitoring.Also, I have not made any changes to my system or added new software. Luis Linares

Luis, I have nearly the same specs as you. Never had any OOM however with it.If i would guess I think it´s because you have 3GB for your 580GTX card.I have 1.5GB but the same card and I have this line added in cfg.[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736// This is for an 1,5GB card, so it only use up to 1GB insteadI have seen but forgot what those last figures should be for an 3GB card, butmaybe you could search for it.A 3GB card is way to much for FSX I´m afraid. Recommended is 1GB./ Leffe

I think i upped my memory allocation using the settings in windows to 10 000 from whatever it was. Since then I have had no OOM errors. Its the amount of space on your HDD used for memory. Even though you have loads of RAM this might help. I'm at work so cant find the exact route to change this setting at the moment. Andy

Luis, I have nearly the same specs as you. Never had any OOM however with it.If i would guess I think it´s because you have 3GB for your 580GTX card.I have 1.5GB but the same card and I have this line added in cfg.[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736// This is for an 1,5GB card, so it only use up to 1GB insteadI have seen but forgot what those last figures should be for an 3GB card, butmaybe you could search for it.A 3GB card is way to much for FSX I´m afraid. Recommended is 1GB./ Leffe
I think Leffe has hit the nail on the head. This is appears to be not uncommon with 3Gb cards and this issue has been posted elsewhere on the Avsim forum. I won't pretend I completely understand, but it appears to be asociated with VAS and the GPU memory. If my memory (no pun intended) serves me well, I seem to remember a post from Robert at PMDG also suggesting that GPUs with more than 1.5gb can prove troublesome.

VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736
Will this fix OOM issues, do you think? I only get them when I've been running FSX on pause for day or so, then I complete the paused flight and then close and re-open FSX without rebooting..What else might this command achieve or is it only a limitation flag?I never knew there was issues with >1Gb grafx cards! Learn something new every day..

I never knew there was issues with >1Gb grafx cards! Learn something new every day..
Was that a typo? Did you mean 3GB?There is no issue with Video Cards with 1gb and this is actually the recommended amount. However some people have other games and/or want to use a 30 inch monitor or HDTV with FSX. These high resolutions above 1920x1080 res require the extra memory.

Look closer it says >1Gb which mean "greater than". BUt yes the graphics memory uses system memory space so it all adds up. Have too much graphics memory and then you wont have enough system memory so you may well run out even though you think you have heaps.

As you can see from the specs in my signature file, they are adequate for the NGX. I've been running the NGX very smoothly since its release. Lately, however, I'm getting an "out of memory" message followed by a CTD. I do not plan on posting a trouble ticket until I hear some feedback from other users.As far as isolating the problem. It is happening using the NGX toward the end of flights approaching the FSDT KLAX airport and the running the ORBX full terrain scenery approaching KSEA and also approaching the ORBX version of YMML. I've tried other flights with default FSX airports and some Latin VFR airports, and everything is OK. I also have 93GB free in a 256GB SSD dedicated to FSX only. I'll keep monitoring.Also, I have not made any changes to my system or added new software.Luis Linares
Are you using ONE ot TWO monitors on your system, and what Size Resolution(s) and Color Resolution(s) you are using.The higher the Resolution, the more GPU ram used = more CPU ram used to match = more likely to run out of addressable CPU memory for FSX = more likely to crash the PC.

Luis LinaresWindows 7-64FSX Gold <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Intel Core i7 27000 (4.6 Overclock) Quad Core16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz3GB GeForce GTX 580, GDDR5256GB SSD
Install FSX SP2.Best regards,Robin.

Install FSX SP2.Best regards,Robin.
He already has SP2 installed otherwise the NGX would not run.SP2 and Acceleration is pretty much the same thing without the extra planes and the headaches of scenery incompatibilities.I had the gold edition with Acceleration installed long time ago. Last time I did a format I just installed FSX without acceleration but with SP1 SP2. FSX is much more reliable and stable without Acceleration installed.

Thanks for all the input. I have one monitor, and I run my desktop and FSX both at 1920 x 1200. I was not aware of the the memory issue with GPUs, so I will try the suggestion to chenge the disply entry on FSX.cfgI'll report back.Thanks again.Luis Linares

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736// This is for an 1,5GB card, so it only use up to 1GB insteadI have seen but forgot what those last figures should be for an 3GB card, butmaybe you could search for it.
Actually, 1610612736 would limit it to 1.5GB, but that's still a valid number for the OP to use.
I think i upped my memory allocation using the settings in windows to 10 000 from whatever it was. Since then I have had no OOM errors. Its the amount of space on your HDD used for memory. Even though you have loads of RAM this might help. I'm at work so cant find the exact route to change this setting at the moment. Andy
You're confusing this with virtual memory, where the PC caches extra info on the hard drive. Two very different things. Our concern here is VAS (virtual address space) which doesn't concern storage at all, only RAM and video memory (since FSX shadows everything in your video memory to RAM, it counts toward the VAS limit)
I think Leffe has hit the nail on the head. This is appears to be not uncommon with 3Gb cards and this issue has been posted elsewhere on the Avsim forum. I won't pretend I completely understand, but it appears to be asociated with VAS and the GPU memory. If my memory (no pun intended) serves me well, I seem to remember a post from Robert at PMDG also suggesting that GPUs with more than 1.5gb can prove troublesome.
Robert and Ryan have indeed mentioned that a good number of their OOM tickets are caused by 3GB video cards. 1-1.5GB appears to be the ideal balance point between giving your video card enough memory to do its job & running out of VAS. To the OP, I'd recommend finding the entry in your fsx.cfg for your video card and adding the videomemoryoverride line exactly as Leffe posted, give it 3 or 4 test flights & report back.

I am sure its to do with the page file allocation on your HDD. As i said i had exactly the same but then changed it to 10k and fixed. Have a look on google but its only a 2 min job at most. Andy

Found this post on the net./ Leffe1 MB = 1024 bytes * 1024 = 1048576 bytes, so:1 GB = 1 MB * 1024 = 1048576 * 1024 = 10737418241.5 GB = 1073741824 * 1.5 = 16106127362 GB = 1073741824 * 2 = 21474836483 GB = 1073741824 * 3 = 3221225472and so on...For 856 MB. it's 0.785 GB, so then would be 1 GB * 0.875 = 1073741824 * 0.875 = 939524096Cheers from Spain guys!

Gerard Cabezón

The line seems to have done the trick[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580.0]VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736So if I change it to 3221225472 can I still avoid the OOM? Did I waste a couple of hundred dollars for going 3GB?Thanks for all the new info. I learn something new about this simulator often it seems. Luis Linares

The 3gb can help with other applications, but for fsx yeah it's a waste.If you change it as mentioned you're basically removing the limit because it'll allow fsx the full 3gb. Best to leave it where it is for now, 1.5gb should be more than plenty for fsx.

I too am having problems related to memory. I am running FSX on an iMac i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram and a 1 gig ATI vid-card. My OS is Win 7 64 bit (running via Bootcamp) so I'm utilizing all 16 gigs or ram. Often, when I run any complex aircraft like those in the PMDG line, I can fly for about half an hour to an hour before my memory starts pooping out and certain aircraft functions like autopilot won't turn on, etc. Even the menu bar commands get washed out. Isn't there some kind of cache that FSX uses to dump sceneryand stuff you've already flown over , etc, thus freeing-up extra memory? I've even messed with my virtual memory settings with little improvement. Any ideas? Help in resolving this issue would be great ly appreciated. ThanksCheers,Summy

I am a happy customer. After SP1 i have not have one OOM . Before i was getting it almost 100% in EGLL,EHAM,LFPG,LOWI . now with Autogen Maxed out and TML=2048 everything is perfect under VAS4GBUltimate Traffic 2 at 30% seems to be my spot.Thanks PMDGMichaelI7-950@4,2HD5870 1GBWindows 7 64 SSD128GBRaptor 300GB FSX

I too am having problems related to memory. I am running FSX on an iMac i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram and a 1 gig ATI vid-card. My OS is Win 7 64 bit (running via Bootcamp) so I'm utilizing all 16 gigs or ram. Often, when I run any complex aircraft like those in the PMDG line, I can fly for about half an hour to an hour before my memory starts pooping out and certain aircraft functions like autopilot won't turn on, etc. Even the menu bar commands get washed out. Isn't there some kind of cache that FSX uses to dump sceneryand stuff you've already flown over , etc, thus freeing-up extra memory? I've even messed with my virtual memory settings with little improvement. Any ideas? Help in resolving this issue would be great ly appreciated. ThanksCheers,Summy
Open fsx.cfg in notepad, scroll down to the (graphics) section & add the following line;HIGHMEMFIX=1That thould help you.

so, just to re-cap (I'm a bit confused now - not hard) The line: VideoMemoryOverride=1610612736 in my fsx.cfg will help me with a 1.753Gb GTX580 or hinder me?Will FSX love me or will I be looking at a slide-show? I've never heard of this line, as I am trying to wean myself off the crack addiction that is FSX.cfg editing but if FSX was never meant to run on such capable hardware, then I can see the value in a line like this..bestjake

I am running FSX on an iMac i7 quad core with 16 gigs of ram
Poor you! I did this on my MacPro dual 2.5 Xeon with 16Gb DDR3, and it was ace, but it lept crashing..Apple didn't want to know; MS didn't want to know..]How is your virtual page file configured? Also, what make of RAM?(I run it on PC again now - it was just an experiment)I have some good Apple contacts but they know nothing about Bootcamp..In reality, BC IS a PC, as you are on PC hardware with a PC OS, but as usual, it's never that simple..bestjake

Open fsx.cfg in notepad, scroll down to the (graphics) section & add the following line;HIGHMEMFIX=1That thould help you.
Thanks for the info, Mr Ken. Adding that line seemed to have done the trick thus far. I did notice though that there's two FSX.cfg files. I added that line to both. Had a hell pf a time finding those files too, but the main thing is now I know where to look. Thanks again for your help

Poor you! I did this on my MacPro dual 2.5 Xeon with 16Gb DDR3, and it was ace, but it lept crashing..Apple didn't want to know; MS didn't want to know..]How is your virtual page file configured? Also, what make of RAM?(I run it on PC again now - it was just an experiment)I have some good Apple contacts but they know nothing about Bootcamp..In reality, BC IS a PC, as you are on PC hardware with a PC OS, but as usual, it's never that simple..bestjake
Jake. The ram I picked up was a package containing two 204 pin, 8 gig modules of Kingston DDR3 1333. Right now I'm letting windows set my VM for "best performance" and it set the page file size to 32746 megs- which I'm not sure is the most optimal setting but it seems to work ok.. I have my rig running with all the sliders maxed and I'm getting a pretty decent frame rate. As for Bootcamp: I love it. It creates a partiton on yout HD where Windows can reside and lets you decide how much space you want to utilize for runing windows. )Half my rig is Windows.You can choose which OS Mac or Windows you want to boot up with. I've always been a PC man but there's certain things I like about Macs.. especially this one with its 27 inch screen. Initially I was using a program called parallels to operate Windows but soon came to realize that I wasn't getting all the horsepower I wanted cuz it was also running the Mac OS as well. Parallels basically sets up a virtual machine that allows one to work with WIndows and the Mac environment at the same time, You can even drag and drop stuff from windows into mac, and vice-versa, It emulates your video -which I don't care for 'cuz your video adapter is emulated into one that's generic and limited to only 250 megs of vid, whereas I have a 1 gig ATI card in my machine and would be wasting 3/4 of its vid capacity. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with this Mac.. even boots up Windows much faster than a PC rig, go figure. Plus on the Mac side,it's not as vunerable to viruses as PC's are. Hope I've answered your question.. please feel free to ask if you've got more..

Hope I've answered your question.. please feel free to ask if you've got more..
Hey Sumguy (sorry, don't know your real name - beware, ppl will delete your posts unless you sign with yr real name round here!)Thanks for the reply..heh..I don't need any help; I was offering to help :) I run a large corporate IT support company..it's my job; we support Macs and PC's for about 100 companies..I do this every day..I was just trying to see if I could help with the BC issues..I pretty much know BC inside-out, as do I OSX, Windows and Parallels - not suprised that didn't work..Parallels is great for lab-type setups when we need to test stuff; like VMWare on the PC.It was specifically running FSX on my MacPro that was giving me gipp, so I called up Apple to discuss BC and certain types of RAM that we had been told by suplliers were "giving issues" with BC..Specifically we were told that adding more, not-exactly-the-same RAM to an already built BC/OS X system could cause BC to BSOD with memory caching errors, but only with certain makes of RAM (can't remember but this http://guides.macrumors.com/Windows_Gaming_on_a_Mac_FAQ is an excellent Windows gaming on BC blog - if you need it lol)Anyway, thanks again for the reply :)

Hey Sumguy (sorry, don't know your real name - beware, ppl will delete your posts unless you sign with yr real name round here!)Thanks for the reply..heh..I don't need any help; I was offering to help :) I run a large corporate IT support company..it's my job; we support Macs and PC's for about 100 companies..I do this every day..I was just trying to see if I could help with the BC issues..I pretty much know BC inside-out, as do I OSX, Windows and Parallels - not suprised that didn't work..Parallels is great for lab-type setups when we need to test stuff; like VMWare on the PC.It was specifically running FSX on my MacPro that was giving me gipp, so I called up Apple to discuss BC and certain types of RAM that we had been told by suplliers were "giving issues" with BC..Specifically we were told that adding more, not-exactly-the-same RAM to an already built BC/OS X system could cause BC to BSOD with memory caching errors, but only with certain makes of RAM (can't remember but this http://guides.macrum...ng_on_a_Mac_FAQ is an excellent Windows gaming on BC blog - if you need it lol)Anyway, thanks again for the reply :)
Thanx for the heads-up on the name thing, Jake. Uhm, do I have to use my last name too? As for my telling you about boot camp and Parallels: I'm now feeling a little duh coming on. Heheh. And here I was thinking that I was schooling you on something. Well, at least I now know who to come to with any Mac aand/or PC problems.Regards,George (my real name)BTW: Since I have you on the line here: In my initial posting I mentioned the issue I was having with running out of memory after some of my flights. Mr Ken replied that I should add the himemfix=1 to the FSX.cfg file. As I indicated in my followup post, I came across two directories with FSX.CFG and they seemed identical in content. I put the HIMEMFIX=1 line in both CFG files under the graphics section within both files. Does it matter where the HIMEMFIX=1 line is inserted within the graphics section; and is it ok that I added the line in both FSX.CFG files I came across, or should that line only go into of them? If only one, which one? Thanks in advance.