Sign in to follow this  
EdwardS

How to Easily Restore Your FSX Configuration

Hi,Over the weekend I wrote a small program ‘FSX MyConfig’ to make life of us flight simmers a bit easier, at least I hope so.As discussed in a recent thread e.g. TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD resets (from 4096) to 1024 every time the FSX display configuration is changed. This applies also for CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY and LOD_RADIUS. Maybe there are more, I don’t know.‘FSX MyConfig’ automatically restores your preferred parameter values as kept in the configuration file ‘fsx.cfg’. I tested it with Windows 7 and XP. The program needs not to be installed, just copy ‘FSXMyConfig.cfg’ to the ‘fsx.cfg’ folder and copy ‘FSXMyConfig.exe’ to an arbitrary folder. You can edit ‘FSXMyConfig.cfg’ just as you would edit ‘fsx.cfg’. After running the program the original ‘fsx.cfg’ file is copied to ‘fsx.cfg.bak’ and is then rewritten with the parameter values you specified in ‘FSXMyConfig.cfg’. Nothing else will be changed.You can obtain the program from: http://home.kpn.nl/nowisgold/fsxmyconfig/ If you have questions or remarks, please let me know. :( Happy Flying.

Edited by EdwardS

Thanks, will give it a try! :Peace:Etienne

Hi,Over the weekend I wrote a small program ‘FSX MyConfig’ to make life of us flight simmers a bit easier, at least I hope so.As discussed in a recent thread e.g. TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD resets (from 4096) to 1024 every time the FSX display configuration is changed. This applies also for CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY and LOD_RADIUS. Maybe there are more, I don’t know.‘FSX MyConfig’ automatically restores your preferred parameter values as kept in the configuration file ‘fsx.cfg’. I tested it with Windows 7 and XP. The program needs not to be installed, just copy ‘FSXMyConfig.cfg’ to the ‘fsx.cfg’ folder and copy ‘FSXMyConfig.exe’ to an arbitrary folder. You can edit ‘FSXMyConfig.cfg’ just as you would edit ‘fsx.cfg’. After running the program the original ‘fsx.cfg’ file is copied to ‘fsx.cfg.bak’ and is then rewritten with the parameter values you specified in ‘FSXMyConfig.cfg’. Nothing else will be changed.You can obtain the program from: http://home.kpn.nl/nowisgold/fsxmyconfig/If you have questions or remarks, please let me know. :( Happy Flying.
Thanks for sharing this Edward. Very nice of you.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Very nice Edward, I'll have to bookmark this for future referals since it's easier than my method. I use my own bat file to launch my addons in the order I want, and added an edit entry that corrects my texture load prior to FSX start. The problem with bat files though is how some things fail to load. Thanks.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thank you for this. I did not realize that settings other than TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD were changed back to a default setting upon tinkering with FSX display settings. I will try your program and replace the texture max load editor software that I currently use.Regards,Pete Smith

Hi EdwardI've been using your FSX MyConfig app for a while now. Its very useful indeed. I have a few individual setting profiles set up and they work wonders. Its no problem to simply put the letter "A" where its needed before starting FSX. I created a bat file to start MyConfig, my ATI Gaphics card FSX settings, TrackIR, and finally FSX. all with one click of the mouse. Thanks for your time and effort in making this app. Much appreciated.Regards,Pete Smith.

Hi EdwardI've been using your FSX MyConfig app for a while now. Its very useful indeed. I have a few individual setting profiles set up and they work wonders. Its no problem to simply put the letter "A" where its needed before starting FSX. I created a bat file to start MyConfig, my ATI Gaphics card FSX settings, TrackIR, and finally FSX. all with one click of the mouse. Thanks for your time and effort in making this app. Much appreciated.Regards,Pete Smith.
Hi Pete, I am glad that you find the tool useful. I just had the feeling to share it which is so easily done nowadays.Thanks for your response and happy flying.

Good Information, I have just downloaded the program.  

I would appreciate it if one of you could point me to the instructions on how to interface a bat file (something I haven't used since the late 80's) with FSX.

Where do you save it and how do you call it?

Thank you very much.

Dale "Gypsy Pilot" Evans

Living in my paradise, AKA -- West Texas