Sign in to follow this  
pbagrat

ATI Drivers/Settings

I just upgraded my ATI drivers to Catalyst 11.12 (see sig for specs) after doing a fresh Windows 7 install due to hard drive failure. Although I had similar issues with the 11.8's I was wondering what everyone else is using when flying the NGX on an ATI video card. As long as I let FSX decide the AA and AF settings everything is fine although it doesn't really eliminate all the jaggies. As soon as I force Catalyst Control Center to enforce my AA/AF I get unreadable menus in FSX and lose 10 to 15 FPS. I have experimented with 2x, 4x box, and wide tent settings to no avail. I take too much of a hit with 8x AA on my system. I am running FSX in 1920x1080 32 bit which is the native resolution of my monitor.

Huh.I had the EXACT SAME problem with my RADEON HD4650. (I'm so glad I bought nVidia for my new build....)Anyway, for me, a temporary fix was to right click CCC on the task bar, then 3D settings I think, then Optimal Performance. I'm not really sure about these settings.

I had the same thing after Catalyst did an automatic update to v.11.12. I just used system restore and reverted back to v.11.11 and all was fine again.Kevin O'Connell.

Kevin O'Connell

Hi, I am new to to the avsim community. I have found alot of helpful information on tuning my rig on these forums. Thanks for all of the help! to answer your questions about AMD drivers, I am using an Asus 6950 DCII with dual bios. I have tried drivers all the way back to the ten series and I have not seen any difference with my setup. I am currently using the11:12 drivers. Keep in mind nvidia cards are setup and controlled with NHANCER.You want to have the card control fsx, not fsx controlling the card. I was pulling my hair out trying to get smooth scenery without the flickering and texture load problems.Here are my catalyst settings.antilasing-mode-overide application settings.filter select edge detect level 8xeq samples 24eq Anisotropic Filtering- unchecked-slider to 16x.- Tesselation-AMD Optimized-ck this box.- slider to far right-Catalyst A.I.- Texture Filtering-high quality- enable surface format optimization- Wait for vertical refresh- slider to quality always on-Anti-alaising mode-slider to quality-super-sample AA- open GL settings Triple buffering. This fixed all of my problems.Also in FSX settings ck trillenear filtering and uncheck antilaising. I am also using REX-UTX AND GEX software. I hope this will help the RADEON users out.