Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Juneau, Alaska... Possibly harder than Innsbruck?

So, I saw a video on YouTube about the PMDG MD-11 landing in PANJ, Juneau International Airport. It seemed like a funny approach, so I decided to do a flight to there myself.I took out the Alaska 737-800 for a spin. I set it at Ketchikan International Airport, PAKT, and set the real world time. (It was 11AM where I live, central time, so I took away 3 hours to set Alaskan time, 8AM) Once it was finally loaded, I used REX WAsys to update weather for me. Wow. It was a cloudy day at Ketchikan!I couldn't find a route using Simroutes, so I had to use the free Rfinder. This flight is a little over 200 nautical miles.Well anyway, as I approached Juneau, it started raining. Great. Lots of clouds and now rain?! Alaska had some crazy weather today!Since the clouds were low, and the airport is surrounded with mountains, it was impossible to know where the runway was. I had to follow my displays to try and locate the runway, but it was hard! I had to do almost a 180 turn because I was about to miss the approach. Also, I couldn't see straight ahead. There is no localizer to help you align with the runway. (By the way, I was landing on visual runway 26)Well anyway, what better way to show what I mean with a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Kn3oYWjFE&feature=youtu.be

I only filmed the landing, not the approach. :sad:Anyway, you guys should try this flight. It took me ~30 minutes or so. The route I used was: PAKT SID ANN J502 HOODS DCT PAJNMy conclusion is that Juneau International Airport MAY have a harder approach than Innsbruck. At Innsbruck, you're saved by the localizer. Not at Juneau!

I have never seen anyone land on Rwy 26 before. The most common approaches are: RNAV (GPS) V RWY 08 LDA X RWY 08 http://www.airnav.com/airport/PAJNI think it is rare for Rwy 26 to be used because the winds always seem to favor Rwy 08 Approachs. I have landed there at least 50 times over the years and always landed on Rwy 08.

Edited by UAL115

We usually land 8, but sometimes 26. If the weather is anywhere close to what you were in, we use the RNP approaches. They are both challenging approaches.There is a fair amount of weather planning that goes into these approaches:http://pajk.arh.noaa.gov/jaws/jaws.phpWhen you ACARS in-range, you get a report similar to that one and we compare it to the limits for the approaches. If you have JAWS alerts, you might need to land with a tail-wind or find another place to go.Your plane could use a few config modifications to look more like an Alaska 737, and then you'll be rockin! :) Have fun.

Edited by Spin737

Matt Cee

Great job! Looks very appealing to do that approach and landing. It is similar to the approach for landing on Rwy 23 at Queenstown Airport, New Zealand. I look forward to doing this flight.Ashley Frew.

We usually land 8, but sometimes 26. If the weather is anywhere close to what you were in, we use the RNP approaches. They are both challenging approaches.There is a fair amount of weather planning that goes into these approaches:http://pajk.arh.noaa.gov/jaws/jaws.phpWhen you ACARS in-range, you get a report similar to that one and we compare it to the limits for the approaches. If you have JAWS alerts, you might need to land with a tail-wind or find another place to go.Your plane could use a few config modifications to look more like an Alaska 737, and then you'll be rockin! :) Have fun.
You fly there? Cool!Yeah. I think its settings are to what Alaska has bought them as, but I'm not sure.
Great job! Looks very appealing to do that approach and landing. It is similar to the approach for landing on Rwy 23 at Queenstown Airport, New Zealand. I look forward to doing this flight.Ashley Frew.
Thanks. It's a cool flight. Lots of mountains and scenery.By the way guys...This is my 1000th post!!! Thanks for welcoming me to AVSIM on September 24, 2011!!! :(

I've loaded and flown both the 08 and 26 (AS) RNP approaches in the NGX and its a real rush! It give a real appreciation of how much attention our pilots must give during these approaches. But I think the AS RNP 05 for Petersburg (PSG) is even more of a challenge due to the required right hand turn onto short final @ 950 feet and less then a mile. Just as with the JNU RNP 26 approach, the PSG 05 approach takes you down a narrow inlet with terrain on both sides, but unlike the JNU 26 approach, the PSG 05 also has terrain at the end of the inlet which is why you must make the tight right hand turn to make the runway or escape for a missed approach. Very cool!!

Ryan Syferd (KSEA)

As a former RW pilot going into Juneau, we always used the ILS, and landed on RW08. I can never remember the winds favoring RW26.Juneau, is a special airport, and one has to be qualified to land a 121 transport aircraft there.Jfriz

What do you mean? I don't get it.
Your landing: left side of the RWY. I would make a go-around if I was that far off centerline.Bert Van Bulck

What does Brazil have to do with anything?!?!
in your signature:I'm from: SBPKThat's in Brazil, not? Bert Van Bulck

in your signature:I'm from: SBPKThat's in Brazil, not? Bert Van Bulck
Yes, but I still don't understand the criticism. Can we focus on the video and approach, please?
That was a nice landing in all honesty :)
Thanks!

Diego, don't get too serious... it's a game after all. Bert was just joking.BTW if you want to get serious I will have to report you to FAA since you declared a visual approach.As per FARs:5-4-22. Visual Approacha. A visual approach is conducted on an IFR flight plan and authorizes a pilot to proceed visually and clear of clouds to the airport. The pilot must have either the airport or the preceding identified aircraft in sight.It doesn't seem you had the airport in sight at all! :Thinking:Cheers.Alberto

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.60GHz | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) | ASUSTeK P8P67 DELUXE | EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ | Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB | Crucial CT1000MX500 1TB | 2 x Western Digital WDC WD40EZRX 4TB | Creative X-Fi Audio Processor | NEC 24WMGX3 MultiSync | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit