Sign in to follow this  
DAL488

PA46T Turbine Engine Modeling in FSX

I just transitioned from FS9 to FSX about a month ago... yeah, you heard that right. Anyway, I had the Aeroworx King Air 200 in FS9 and the PT6 modeling left a lot to be desired. I understand this was caused by limitation in FS9. I am pleasantly surprised by the PA46T's PT6 modeling in FSX. Things work right, most noticeable: 1.) pull back prop and Tq goes up; 2.) low Tq settings and the prop stays at 2400 rpm.Is this better modeling in FSX or just a nice job by the Carenado folks?James

I can only agree. It takes a lot of knowledge, knowing where exactly to fine tune the air file and cfg to get near to real world behaviour throughout the envelope. There are not many with this talent. I believe Bernt to be one of those. I picked up the 46T last night only. The first thing I noticed where the various elements relating to prop pitch and torque/sound settings when operating the PT6. It was possibly the single most annoying aspect of the Aeroworx B200. As I have already mentioned, the C90 is as good as purchased if it follows this 46T's behaviour. I have every reason to believe that will be the case, since Bernt is working on its FDE. The massive improvement in flight models in Carenado's products has put them firmly back on my list. The system complexity may not be quite as PMDG or A2A, but it is enough for that evening after work settle down with a beer flight, as Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft would refer to it :)Happy flights in the 46T and looking forward to the C90. Andrew

I can only agree. It takes a lot of knowledge, knowing where exactly to fine tune the air file and cfg to get near to real world behaviour throughout the envelope. There are not many with this talent. I believe Bernt to be one of those.I picked up the 46T last night only. The first thing I noticed where the various elements relating to prop pitch and torque/sound settings when operating the PT6. It was possibly the single most annoying aspect of the Aeroworx B200. As I have already mentioned, the C90 is as good as purchased if it follows this 46T's behaviour. I have every reason to believe that will be the case, since Bernt is working on its FDE.The massive improvement in flight models in Carenado's products has put them firmly back on my list. The system complexity may not be quite as PMDG or A2A, but it is enough for that evening after work settle down with a beer flight, as Mathijs Kok from Aerosoft would refer to it :)Happy flights in the 46T and looking forward to the C90.Andrew
Hello everyone,I can simply second this very good reply to the thread!I simply stopped buying addons since the release of the great and "famous" AWX B200 Super King Air in the good FS9er-times, but as time moved on and we "felt to have to convert" to FSX I was missing an equal turbine-addon in FSX since that time so much!!!BUT NOW after the first masterpiece, the Malibu Jetprop, was released and with all the upcoming joy to come with the second one, the C90B, I am finally back of full satisfaction and I feel FS9-times live up again in my FSX :( .Carenado, I really thank you for the finest GA-models in FSX and I thank you Bernt for all your big efforts and knowledge bringing these models to true life !! Edited by andy1975

Happy cutstomer on this one too. Blast and enjoyable to fly :) Money well spent :)

Simon

same here cant wait the c90 looks like it wont be too much longer there are vc images and other projects that are being started

I would agree with the above, but is the drag as high as that at idle?Seems immense.I don't dispute this is realistic, just interested in opinions.

I think Bernt once mentioned that a lot of addons suffer from the not modelled drag at low torque settings. The current C208 (Bernt is on it soon!) uses the trick with the invisible spoilers for simulating that effect. You mainly turn your prop into a disc, so to speak, as the rpm remain steady but the low torque input then leads to flat blade angles. At least that's how I understand it, but I think Bernt can give the insights you need.

Martin,a lot of PT6 - turbine - addons had the lack of exactly this behavior! I also cannot tell the exact issues what cause this behavior to the enigine, but I can tell you Bernt put in a LOT of effort to simulate just this phenomenon, so it IS as real as FSX will allow it!

Edited by andy1975

I remember Reading about the Saab turboprop, that would approach at 240 knots, and then decelerate at a phenomenal rate at the last minute. For precisely that reason, the drag from the large prop disc's.As I said, I don't dispute the behavior of the Jetprop, just interested in your opinions.Not sure if there is a resource out there, where we can study this.What about technique lads, what do you do for...Taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, decent and approach, in terms of torque and prop rpm.