Sign in to follow this  
Christopher A. Barbas

Available From 29th Feb

Guest russellbdavis

Come Feb. 29, eyes will roll...just saying. :-)

So was all previous FS versions, all classified as game.
I'm afraid you already did, FS2002 was a game. All the FS franchises were and will always be a game.
I see your still plugging that...Yes all games you play on your pc are "games" but not all are simulators. We will call them simulator's from now on so you don't get convused.

Game vs sim is all in the usage. The program is just a tool. We know that FSX can be used for 'serious' flight simulation. What I am hoping for from flight is a GA simulation tool - small areas, limited planes but still something that attempts to simulate flight as closely as modern software will allow.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

No, people have seen what is included and will be available to buy (a mustang with no cockpit) and quite rightly they are disappointed.
I think it is good that they are providing the Mustang. Not that I would want it, since it lacks a cockpit. But it will further enhance the accessibility of the game, since it costs half the price of the Maule. If I had a young child who wanted to play the game with me, the Mustang would be a superb choice.I think people continually fail to realise that Flight is aimed at an extremely broad gaming demographic - and if you look at the way many "gamers" play their games, they love these exterior views. Just look at all the youTube videos showing gameplay from "cross-over" racing titles - a good proportion of them show exterior views from behind the car with the players seemingly showing no inclination whatsoever to jump into the cockpit.I think the Mustang - as it is with no cockpit - was an excellent choice and excellent business decision. It will most certainly help the game grab a foothold into the casual gaming market, especially amongst very young gamers. And by releasing the Maule at the same time, Microsoft are showing what the game will be able to deliver at both ends of the GA spectrum.

Game vs sim is all in the usage.
Game vs. sim is all in the ego. IMO, of course.I recently relocated into a "55+" mobile home park. Met some people and in the conversations I would mention that I do computer game design. If their eyes didn't glaze over and the discussion progressed, I would explain a little further what I do and what game I work within. I'm serious about my entertainment, which the flight genre gives me. I'm not so wrapped up in the game and how I use it to ever claim to be a "serious simmer".I'll grab Flight when it's available and use it for entertainment, just as I have used various versions of Flight Simulator as entertainment dating back to 5.25" floppies. Until I see otherwise, it appears my developmental work will remain at the FSX and earlier level. Maybe XPX? :(

Simulation is not about 'ego' per se...Are you learning something 'real'? Then it's a simulation. Are you just having fun? Well that's probably a game you're playing. The Venn diagram would have a pretty big overlap.Ego only comes in if you think you've learnt something and you're wrong eg "I can work as an ATP now because I'm good at flying the NGX."

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Game vs sim is all in the usage. The program is just a tool.
I agree ;) ...for myself I have my own definition of simulation.It's only simulation if I am preparing for a real world flight in the same type and location and lesson.Otherwise it's gaming. All of my airline time has been (very serious) gaming :)Some PA28 time in the PNW has been simulation.Strictly gaming is more fun than simulation....fly what you like, where you like, and how you like.Simulation is more like homework, like 30 circuits in a row, or 20 instrument checks without even flying.Mostly just trying to learn one habit...in very structured play.Of course, everyone has their own definitions :)

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.