Sign in to follow this  
Christopher A. Barbas

Available From 29th Feb

This was exactly what I was thinking. This is just a move to make way more money on the game than they did before. This is going to cost flight enthusiasts hundreds of dollars to get what we used to get for only 70 bucks. And we still have to wait and see if it will even come close to what one would expect as an improvement over FSX.I'm not even going to consider touching this one, that's for sure.
Most flight enthusiasts are ready to go prep3rd which is 10 bucks a month for the sim engine. I don't think they only spent 70 dollars . People have to realize it cost a lot more to develop games. Developing a flight simulator is even riskier because the improvements will be nominal for each release of the genre. How many people would buy a new flight simulator because it had slopping runways? Not many. So how is Microsoft going to continue the genre without losing money? Flight's DLC marketing model is the only way for all of us to have a continuous development of our hobby. Edited by frankla

Whaou an ILS ? Incredible amazing amazing, I don't believe it... :LMAO:You dreamed, Microsoft just didn't :wink:Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

This was exactly what I was thinking. This is just a move to make way more money on the game than they did before. This is going to cost flight enthusiasts hundreds of dollars to get what we used to get for only 70 bucks. And we still have to wait and see if it will even come close to what one would expect as an improvement over FSX.I'm not even going to consider touching this one, that's for sure.
Couldn't agree more! Currently having a great time exploring Orbx's fantastic New Zealand south island scenery in the G1000 equipped F1 T182T and flying the challenging approaches into Queenstown with the PMDG 737NGX. If Flight ever morphs into something that tops this then I would look at it again but the signs are not hopeful. While the experience of flight is important to me how to correctly operate an aircraft is more important and this is what the high end addons for FSX do so well. I can't see that addons of this type and the many niche scenery addons for out of the way places will ever be part of Flight. One thing I am looking forward to after the release of Flight is a full accounting by those beta testers whose opinions I respect as to what they do like about flight because some, apparently, do find it appealing.BruceBruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The good: Best webisode yet, an effort to communicate, earlier than expected release date, I can trash my cockpit and only use a mouse (wife will be very happy)...The bad: They still ignore/avoid adressing simmers, FSX is getting old but there is no alternative, very expensive addons...Conclusion: Must find new hobby after twenty years... Should have listened to my grandma who said computers aren't good for anyone!

Most flight enthusiasts are ready to go prep3rd which is 10 bucks a month for the sim engine. I don't think they only spent 70 dollars . People have to realize it cost a lot more to develop games. Developing a flight simulator is even riskier because the improvements will be nominal for each release of the genre. How many people would buy a new flight simulator because it had slopping runways? Not many. So how is Microsoft going to continue the genre without losing money? Flight's DLC marketing model is the only way for all of us to have a continuous development of our hobby.
I'd be happy to pay for DLC if it was for FS11...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I'm confused. My FSX didn't come with a PMDG NGX and NZSI in the box. Oh yeah, that's right... I had to wait, and be patient, and cough up some more pesos (lot more pesos, since FSX wouldn't run on my then reasonably up-to-date PC, nor the one after really - an both those add-ons would have crushed them). So what's changed? We're back to where all of the FS2004 types that refused to move were when FSX first came out. Some still won't move. Why should they? No one is forcing them to. I still run it. Nothing's changed there either.Mike Dryden

The bad: They still ignore/avoid adressing simmers, FSX is getting old but there is no alternative, very expensive addons...
Maybe XP11 will fix the bad UI and pre-FSX GFX? If you can look past that, its an alternative. Also FSX is NOT going anywere any time soon. Prepar3D is also a possible alternative in the future. I dont know there plans and I dont know how they plan to get around the "non-commercial" contract they have with MS. Right now P3D is nothing more then FSX so if you already own FSX, I see no need to pay 10$ more a month for the same damn thing.
I'm confused. My FSX didn't come with a PMDG NGX and NZSI in the box. Oh yeah, that's right... I had to wait, and be patient, and cough up some more pesos (lot more pesos, since FSX wouldn't run on my then reasonably up-to-date PC, nor the one after really - an both those add-ons would have crushed them). So what's changed? We're back to where all of the FS2004 types that refused to move were when FSX first came out. Some still won't move. Why should they? No one is forcing them to. I still run it. Nothing's changed there either.Mike Dryden
The thing is, and that I agree with a lot of people, is FSX had an SDK. That means its future lied on 3rd party dev's. Flight does NOT have an SDK, so its future lies in MS hands alone, and nobody has faith that Flights future is in the proper hands. That I can fully understand with the posters concerns.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

But those things are still there for those who have them. In the short term, no there isn't likely to be a Flight equivalent to NGX. PMDG is probably happy about that, and I can't say I blame them. But FSX isn't going to die, like FS2004 hasn't. We don't know what agreements MS many have with third party developers. Admittedly, it's not a good sign that two of the top ones aren't exactly best buddies with MS at the moment. But none of those parties are likely to be going away, and things can change. Will they? Maybe not. But few here say that for certain.Mike

Well folks, I for one am looking forward to the giving it a try. I think the Hawaiian Islands are perfect for simulator flying. Real also, if you can afford it. I had my only real glider flight that was longer than 30 minutes in Hawaii, all the others were 10 - 15 minutes of glide time in central Florida. i could have stayed up all day except I forgot to pee before takeoff.I have just about any and all upgrades that I can find for any and all of the Hawaiian Islands already running in FSX and enjoy them now. I will have a good basis for comparison. i also have the ICON to practice with while I wait for the end of the month. Same for the Maule and Mustang.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

"None of the guys in the video are developers !!All the DEVS are serious flight sim fans and some of them hold private pilot licenses.Fred"LOL - thanks for the laugh!RH

This game will be a failure.My first encounter with Flight Simulator was in MSFS 2002... Probably the only simulator I played that year we got it! My brother and I would startup in a GA plane and depart Meigs Field (also another great thing... gone.) and we would fly around Chicago. We then returned to KCGX and we would hop in the 737-400 and depart SBPA and go no where.I will definitely not put a single kilobyte of this trash they call gameon my computer!

Edited by linux731

I will definitely not put a single kilobyte of this trash they call gameon my computer!
I'm afraid you already did, FS2002 was a game. All the FS franchises were and will always be a game.

Great news. Now us non-beta testers can finally see what it's really like and put an end to the speculation :(.According to this site http://www.xboxpointsconverter.co.uk/ 1600 MS points is US$20
Oh no, another world currency. Does the value of this stuff float?I'm surprised MS didn't adopt the Simoleon (§), the unit of currency used in SimCity and The Sims series! Edited by sweetmusic

It's free, it's fun, it's Flight! I will give it an honest go. I think over all it will be fun, due to the graphics and buzzing around in the car / water / plane thing. When they introduce helicopters = more fun. Add realism = more fun. Add more scenery = more fun. My warm and fuzzy good natured and non cynical side of me thinks it will draw more into the flight sim world. Those wanting a realistic world experience may end up with FSX and or Prepair 3D with Orbx graphics if Flight sticks with the wild exciting world of collecting tokens. It's good for the community to have a game like Flight enter the arena. May be they have plans for add on's to turn it into a more realistic Flight sim. I would guess they do. Time will tell, but I think it is all good.

Oh no, another world currency. Does the value of this stuff float?I'm surprised MS didn't adopt the Simoleon (§), the unit of currency used in SimCity and The Sims series!
I want more of a dynamic economy, like second life. You could work in-game for Flight-oleons, which can then be used to pay for flying time!People with money could buy the airports (like they buy islands in second life), and you could work for them - loading baggage, driving the catering truck. Maybe the more attractive avsimmers could get work pushing a trolley down the aisles (not sure if that strange car/plane thing has an aisle, whatevs).Imagine: 'if i can just clean 3 more planes I can pay for my second hour of flying the flight school's barely airworthy C152. Hurrah!'Microsoft/Steve, I know you read these forums. This idea is gold - call me.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.