Sign in to follow this  
gtrbarbarian

PA46t and night landings

Is anybody else having problems seeing over the nose of this plane when landing at night? I was landing at JFK the other night, and the nose was completely blotting out the runway lol ...I think it was my worst night landing ever.

Is anybody else having problems seeing over the nose of this plane when landing at night? I was landing at JFK the other night, and the nose was completely blotting out the runway lol ...I think it was my worst night landing ever.
That's an irritating problem to have! In aircraft with a long nose like that, using peripheral vision is a must for landing. Specifically out of the left window, using the runway edge lights or whatever else is available is the only technique you can use. Good luck, don't bend it up!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Since JFK has the long runways, you can speed up a bit, or at least maintain a higher approach speed for longer (which the airliner traffic will like too) and therefore reduce the deck angle. I don't know if that's a super pro method, but as long as you don't add 20 knots, you should be ok. And yes, that plane has a long nose indeed.

Edited by CoolP

Guest bstolle

The default seating position is too low IMO. Suggest to raise your POV so you can see at least a small part of the cowling.BTW, the latest optional patch includes already a higher POV :((On my PA46T have the 'seat' raised even more)Minimum approach speeds are what the POH says. The absolute minimum at calm weather.Normally you fly the minimum approach speed plus 10kts. If you fly that new target speed +5kts you are in good shape.The POH mentions that you can land the PA46 in a fully stalled condition which means more than 10deg nose up which is a lot.

Edited by bstolle

Thanks for the tips guys! Before using trackIR I would move my seat up...but I don't know of a way to do that while using trackIR...?

Are you already using the optional patch Bernt mentioned? It's on the Carenado page. Other methods of altering the viewpoint are to either edit the aircraft.cfg or to use EZCA, which is a tip with TrackIR. Not that cheap, but well worth the money. This will enhance all planes of course.

I'm still on the fence for the JetProp as I'm looking for a current single engine turbine. It takes three things to be happy with a Carenado plane. The plane and two service packs. :lol:Seriously, maybe the C90 will never see me (I already own two twin engine turbine planes I like very much) but the JetProp later will, so I'll check out that optional patch from Bernt too.

Thanks for the tips guys! Before using trackIR I would move my seat up...but I don't know of a way to do that while using trackIR...?
With TrackIR, it's simple. Lower your head a little, then hit the centering button. When you sit up straight again, your eyepoint will be higher. To reset it back to where it started, just hit the recenter button again without ducking.

Elementary dear Watson!Thanks Bill, that's exactly what I need to do!
While we're at it. EZDok offers a lot of things for a TrackIR user that would otherwise be impossible in FSX (ie moving view point on the fly). The learning curve is somewhat steep and the price isn't great, but it's a very powerful tool I can't do without. Especially while using TrackIR. Despite the learning curve, I can set up cameras in a new aircraft in moments now. Edited by ZachLW

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I'm still on the fence for the JetProp as I'm looking for a current single engine turbine. It takes three things to be happy with a Carenado plane. The plane and two service packs. :lol:Seriously, maybe the C90 will never see me (I already own two twin engine turbine planes I like very much) but the JetProp later will, so I'll check out that optional patch from Bernt too.
I can give you a quick low down on it since I bought it the day it came out and returned it a few days later.Why did I return it? Initially it was due to bugs (And the subsequently patched it) but the main reason was it was too slow for my liking. I mean the Orbx Lancair goes faster lol...RE bugs the biggest issue that wasn't fixed from the patch was that the flight plan if using a RXP GNS unit would not show on the G500 MFD. I guess they say it's not possible... IDK... Also some of the clickspots were tiny.Other than that the graphics were amazing, the fde was fairly solid (I had some weird issues with yaw above approach speed - maybe it was my pedals maybe not), the externals amazing, sound great, etc...If it cruised 50 kts faster at altitude I would have probably kept it... Instead with the money I saved from the return I bought the boxed version of PMDG's J41..

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |