Sign in to follow this  
JMEppright

New video card questions

Currently, I am using a somewhat dated ATI4870-512 video card. I am close to upgrading card. My CPU is an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. The AMD 6950 2GB has been recommended. How does the 6950 compare with the EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti? Obviously, this is for FSX usage using PMDG737NGX & TH2Go w three 16 x 9 24" monitors.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KICT) :Big Grin:

Guest jahman

AMD 6xxx cards now are a generation old. Why bother?New AMD 7xxx cards here (wider memory bus, PCIe 3 support).Cheers,- jahman.

Here is some info for you...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.htmlThe top two or three tiers on that chart are going to run pretty much anything you can throw at them in 1920X1080 rez at mostly full settings. I recently have used both a Gforce 560ti OC and a Radeon 6870 and BOTH of those cards run either FS9 AND FSX at almost full tilt. Make sure your CPU is up to it though, those cards and the top end ones need a fast CPU as does FSX to make things look good AND be smooth at high resolutions.

Pocketbook issues are a bit limiting. I am wanting to upgrade my video card in such a way so I can use it with the next motherboard/cpu upgrade. My present CPU is an AMD Phenom II 1090T. I had hoped to overclock this one to 4Ghz but 3.5 seems to be all she will do.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KICT) :Big Grin:

(wider memory bus, PCIe 3 support).
The largest performance jump will come from the wider mem bus.(especially if you are coming from a 6XXX series card)

Here is some info for you...http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3067-7.htmlThe top two or three tiers on that chart are going to run pretty much anything you can throw at them in 1920X1080 rez at mostly full settings. I recently have used both a Gforce 560ti OC and a Radeon 6870 and BOTH of those cards run either FS9 AND FSX at almost full tilt. Make sure your CPU is up to it though, those cards and the top end ones need a fast CPU as does FSX to make things look good AND be smooth at high resolutions.
Top line video cards definitely do not allow you to run fsx at 'full tilt'. Nothing lets you max out fsx with addons, but if it did it'd be a cpu. It'd be fair to say a gtx570 or so level card allows smooth perfirmance when added to a seriously fast cpu.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Well Im getting very good performance out of my Core i5 at about 4ghz...it will OC more but Im conservative. You are correct the sim is CPU bound. The graphics will allow it to LOOK better and run well at hi resolutions. You really need a newer gen CPU with the better motherboard and memory architecture. Its made a BIG difference here. I went from a Core 2 Duo to this and it was a very noticeable improvement, particularly with FSX.

Well Im getting very good performance out of my Core i5 at about 4ghz...it will OC more but Im conservative. You are correct the sim is CPU bound. The graphics will allow it to LOOK better and run well at hi resolutions. You really need a newer gen CPU with the better motherboard and memory architecture. Its made a BIG difference here. I went from a Core 2 Duo to this and it was a very noticeable improvement, particularly with FSX.
I'm at 4.0ghz with an i7 as my everyday overclock. Still need more power! Bring on ivy bridge.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."