Sign in to follow this  
frankla

Why I am not happy with MS and Flight

I am not really sure why, but stupidity has always frustrated me. Okay I was trying to preserve some dignity; I should have said ' it angers me'. I know it is a flaw with me, not with those I perceive to be stupid. But I think I might not be alone with this flaw. Watching what MS is doing with Flight is like watching a car wreck about to happen. I would yell at the driver and tell him he is going on the wrong direction on the freeway, but he refuses to listen. After several attempt at trying to tell him to change course, my evil self tells him " Okay fine..You should get what you deserve" (how many of you are wishing for failure of Flight?). I have realized that my anger and frustration is not about another person's stupidity, but about my inability to affect the stupidity and thus the result. Frank

I'm confused as to how you consider Microsoft to be stupid. Stupid because they are trying a new approach to computer aviation, and trying to draw in a new crowd? Stupid because they are producing a product that will run well on a current computer, in addition to running with more detail on a higher level computer? Stupid because they would like to make some of the money that third party developers have made from their previous products? Stupid because they are setting up a (relatively) safe market system, should developers choose to license their product through them? Stupid because they think some people might be interested in "low and slow" aviation?These are all VERY uniformed questions - all I know of MSFlight is what is available online as to previews, screen shots, videos, etc...perhaps it is I that is stupid, but I am glad that Microsoft is giving this a try. What is NOT known about Flight compared to what is thought about Flight is hugely disproportional...what it may become is (I feel) anyone's guess at this point. I try not to prejudge without facts...you, as are all the other forum posters, are entitled to your opinion...but I don't believe that's what you have posted.

Frank, there are a lot of decisions that MS has made with Flight that I feel were huge mistakes in judgment (the basic/non-cockpit optional aircraft was the one I probably complained about the most).But they are not making Flight just for us. So we have to take (what we feel are) the bad decisions along with the good ones.It does get frustrating when I feel that they are doing some parts of Flight totally wrong, but I still want it to succeed. Because, if Flight does well, and the DLC sells well (except for the dumb basic aircraft, which I hope no one will buy), it will be a big boost to flightsimming. Plus it will allow the development of Flight to continue, and more of the features we all want might actually be added.

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I have kind of backed out of this argument since the first day or two. In reading the posts it all reminds me of when we were kids. We started to hear rumors from our peers that their really was no Santa Claus and our first reaction was to lash out and we tried as hard as we could to believe because we wanted the toys and gifts to keep coming our way. When we did find the truth then many of us just faked it with our parents in the hopes of getting those gifts just one more year. I think that many on these boards really know the truth and just do not wish to accept :( it yet in hopes of just one more round of gifts. :( Sorry Santa but truth is truth!An Additional thought.....Just to be clear...I actually do think that Flight will be a money maker for MS. Why...because we live in a world where companys turn on a tap just like you have at home and fill plastic bottles with water and then sell them to us. Most times this is the exact same water that we can get for free. We also live in a time where we are all connected by phones that with the push of a button we can talk to almost anyone anywhere in the world. What do we do...we pay an extra 30 usd to even 100 usd so we can sent short text messages. 99 percent of the time just plain stupid!! I am sure that in the next couple of years AT&T will start a service where we can take a piece of paper a jot down a note and fold it and they will sell us a sticker and then have someone take it to the person whose name is on the front. They will call it space mail and we will love it!! Sure my friends MS will make a butt load of money off of Flight because you and I and our BFF's have lost our minds.By the way I am looking for Beta Testers for Space mail!!

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Frank, there are a lot of decisions that MS has made with Flight that I feel were huge mistakes in judgment (the basic/non-cockpit optional aircraft was the one I probably complained about the most).But they are not making Flight just for us. So we have to take (what we feel are) the bad decisions along with the good ones.It does get frustrating when I feel that they are doing some parts of Flight totally wrong, but I still want it to succeed. Because, if Flight does well, and the DLC sells well (except for the dumb basic aircraft, which I hope no one will buy), it will be a big boost to flightsimming. Plus it will allow the development of Flight to continue, and more of the features we all want might actually be added.
Arwen and NewthogI know MS is not making Flight for us and that makes what they have done with Flight even more wrong. People must identify with a product. I have tried to get some of my nephews and younger friends interested in flight simulation . The first thing they ask is to fly the F18 (from acceleration) or a passenger jet. They identify with those planes either because they have flown on one, or have seen it in a new modern movie. An average non enthusiast will not identify with nostalgic planes like Stearman and conventional geared planes who they ridicule as puddle jumpers. That is why this product as is introduced will not work on masses they want to attract. Unless they come (very soon) with DLC that allows big iron flight (long range), Flight will sputter. To me not seeing that is bizzare. But hey, some one may call me stupid for exactly saying that. :)P.S. I am GA pilot and fly a piper archer in real life, but when I check the screen shots on AVSIM screen shot forum, they are, by far, mostly of passenger jets. Edited by frankla

If you think Flight is a car wreck about to happen you should take a look at Windows 8 :(

If you think Flight is a car wreck about to happen you should take a look at Windows 8 :(
Really? I haven't followed it yet. Why?

MS is going after the mobile market (predominantly Apple/Android) by developing an OS to run on everything from tablets to PCs, the result for PCs is a horrible user experience. They're taking a big gamble with it just as they are with Flight, going after a bigger market. Completely different products I know but the similarities are definitely there.

um...watch any of the vids on youtube. It is forcing a tablet or phone OS onto a desktop. you may like it ,who knows. I don't.

And for the record...if you stuck iOS on a mac, I wouldn't like it either. Edited by gtrbarbarian

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Prove it to me.
Entitled much? Research it yourself.Did an entire generation forget its manners?

um...watch any of the vids on youtube. It is forcing a tablet or phone OS onto a desktop. you may like it ,who knows. I don't.
Um, you do know that you can turn that OFF and revert to a Win7 Classic desktop if you wish, right? :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Considering portable devices out-sold PC's last year, its a smart move. Also MS is amazingly late to the portable game, they need to really push it to even catch up. Just because YOU dont like it, does not mean it will be a flop. Same goes for Flight.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Entitled much? Research it yourself.Did an entire generation forget its manners?
I have Win8 beta preview and it works just fine on my desktop.It is YOU who need to back up your claims whenever you make them, if you care to bring them up.
Um, you do know that you can turn that OFF and revert to a Win7 Classic desktop if you wish, right?
Exactly, when is an additional option a bad thing?

I have Win8 beta preview and it works just fine on my desktop.
You are running the consumer preview? or the Developer preview?
Um, you do know that you can turn that OFF and revert to a Win7 Classic desktop if you wish, right? :(
Do you have a build that I don't because I can't find option to disable the Metro interface...
Considering portable devices out-sold PC's last year, its a smart move. Also MS is amazingly late to the portable game, they need to really push it to even catch up. Just because YOU dont like it, does not mean it will be a flop. Same goes for Flight.
Try it yourself if you haven't already, I'm all for change and advancement but there is a reason Apple keep their desktop and mobile OS separate, what works for a small touch device doesn't transition to a non-touch screen, mouse and keyboard environment.*Sorry I didn't mean take this thread off topic. Edited by Fsau

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.