Sign in to follow this  
EagleSkinner

It has been years...

...since I set up my FSX on the old computer and now I am doing it on a new one.I can get FSX to run, but there are a few planes that don't show their textures (the A2A Piper's VC is mostly transparent for example). Oh and when I select aircraft, sometimes the previews are black. The complete preview window - not the paint. (That one I can remember)Can someone point out my forgotten memories please and suggest which settings need adjusting? Could it be the new Graphics card? It's a GTX 580 and I think it's running DX11 - despite FSX installing DX9.Oh - and I have forgotten where all the good tweaks for the FSX cfg are.Not that I 'need' the tweaks - I am getting very very high FPS. It's just that some of my addon planes don't seem to work as sold.Many thanks for reminders!

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Were you careful installing everything in the right order, run fsx default flight, then exit and reboot windows between each install?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

This is an important piece, Chris - not sure if you've done it, as you say you are having transparent textures on a few aircraft:- I just cut/pasted this from Nick's guide....

Acceleration takes care of both SP1 and SP2 in one shotIf installing for a 'non' Acceleration with SP2 its the same process except:

After you complete STEP 1, 2 and 3 above, replace STEP 4 with:

Install SP1, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer

Install SP2, boot the sim default flight, close and reboot the computer

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Installed FSX then Acceleration then sceneries. The sceneries all work fine. It is just that some of the aircraft have transparent textures / black preview panels.When I last re-installed FSX I did it in the same order and didn't have this. But I have a vague memory that DX9 / DX10 had something to do with this. Thing is, my new graphics card is an nVidia GTX 580 with DX11 - I have no experience there. Are we supposed to remove "11" and install "9"?Thanks so far.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Hi Chris: The 580 is just about the best there is, and is capable of DX11 - which isn't built in to FSX. Neither is DX10. All we have is a preview of an unfinished DX10, in FSX known as "DX10 Preview". It will give a smoother performance, but it will also highlight a number of issues. I expect you have a check-mark inside the box in your settings.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Yeah, turn off DX-10 preview, and see if that fixes your issues. Most FSX flyers don't use the DX10 feature because it is buggy.Regards,G

Guest firehawk44

DX10 preview will cause invisible textures if the aircraft was made for FS9 and earlier sims. Also make sure you have highmemfix=1 in the graphics section of your FSX.cfg as this is known to cure black screens.Best regards,Jim

It's extremely strange gents....The graphics card came with Assassins Creed - I had installed that at about the same time as my last (for now) FSX stuff on Thursday or Friday - and that was about the same time as my "troubles" surfaced.I removed AC and what do you know...? Problem solved. Don't ask me why, although I guess the game installer really goes to town on the graphics? Well, whatever, I am back to flying visible aircraft in FSX again. I am getting 25+ FPS steady over high urban areas such as the ORBX Portland freeware / 60/80/100+ over the countryside. Even stuff like Jon Patch's Vancouver, Aerosoft's VFR Germany and similar aren't really slowing my flight enjoyment any.More to the point, I am flying "Sliders Right" across the board (apart from cloud draw 0 (left), traffic 25% and water 1 left of top) on untweaked. Well - trees and buildings have been pushed to 6000 per cell and I have set the affinity mask to 4095 (six core tweak)My old system was pushed to give me 20+ over the countryside with the "******* Tweaks" - although that was good for the system.