Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

How to get real prop sounds?

Oops, I've written audiocity above. Right you are, Audacity is correct. Yes, I've used that one too. Now don't ask me how to get the 4 blade to 3 blade difference into those files. But lowering the pitch definitely feels better. I should check some YT videos.This one is nice for the C208.

And this one for the JetProp.

You have to wait a bit on the JetProp video, until the prop sound develops (blade angle). And only compare the same stages. The C208 guy throttles up to get into taxi, but the JetProp video shows the idle sound. So compare those two stages (where the C208 is pitched way lower), not the throttle up phase.So that's at 1:35 on the JetProp video against the start of the C208 one. Edited by CoolP

For twinengined turboprops the TSS King Air Sound is pretty good and correct regarding Prop-sound-pitch and you will get pretty cool propfeathering- and flyby sounds plus sound-cones too!
Seems we can't get everything in one package. The TSS King Air package is totally missing the Beta sound, otherwise I like and have it.Great to see several working on the prop sounds.Russ

Guest BeaverDriver

One thing to keep in mind here though is that engines/props sound very different from inside than they do outside. Having them perfect for the outside only is of limited benefit unfortunately. You really need to gain access to the inside while taxiing and whatnot.

For the twins, the Duke T sound set is nice if one does not want to purchase an addon title. You have some twin PT6 setup and they've also filtered out the prop components on the turbine part pretty good, so you get that 'sssssshhhhhhhhhhh' from the engines and the prop stuff is separate to your liking. It may also work on single setups when you alter the sound.cfg entries. One of the best default sound sets out there in my ears. That hum alone is worth it.

One thing to keep in mind here though is that engines/props sound very different from inside than they do outside.
Very true and also an aspect that sort of divides the sound sets, default and addon. Some give you outside sounds in full volume, some set up a muffled 'headset' effect and some others have caught all possible things of the plane.I can tell of more than one plane being way too loud in the cockpit. As if you would be sitting on the engine. Of course, to a certain extent, it leads to an immersive impression, but may spoil the subtle parts.

Here's one for you sound lovers.I think I've made the same mistake as Carenado on the impression of the fuel pump sounds. My thinking was that they're super loud, just like in this video.

But that sound you hear are the gyros spooling up and then remaining there. Awful, right? But that's the reason for the too loud fuel pump sound in the Carenado JetProp. Just guessing though.

Guest BeaverDriver

Yep, those are gyros. You can hear the Emergency fuel pump when it comes on, but it's only on to test. It doesn't stay on. One of the inherent problems of any of these videos too is where the mic is located. Those gyros are incredibly loud. Makes me think the guy's mic was pretty close to the panel. It's like recordings I've seen of rides in 737's. Sitting at the front of the wing you can hear the engines when they are spooled up, but in back they are really loud, but you don't hear any change in frequency (pitch). Yet I know in the cockpit you really have to work to hear the engines at all, and once at cruise about all you hear is the wind (and no, it's not at all like FSX's wind sounds <LOL>). So where the mic is can give you a very different idea of how sounds should be. It's a tricky process :).

Sorry to be off topic:Don´t know who anybody does have purchased the nice DA Cheyenne. I exchanged allready some weeks ago the gyro sound from Carenado with the Cheyenne´s one and this comes pretty close to the video here ;-) , giving an extra sound-kick in the Malibu!You could also think of exchanging the door opening and close sounds, which doors mechanically seem to be of nearly same construction!

Edited by andy1975

Good catch on the gyro sound. Makes me think about the whole Cheyenne sound set of course.

I take the sound of the reverser´s of the PA46T and put in the Tduke, its a great diference, its the real sound, the beta stage of the PA46T its the true sound, the original of the Tduke dont sound like that....

I have been pointing out this issue for years-on most planes. Since most developers just don't respond I have to assume it is a limitation of fsx.Xplane does this better but still not perfect.

I take the sound of the reverser´s of the PA46T and put in the Tduke, its a great diference, its the real sound, the beta stage of the PA46T its the true sound, the original of the Tduke dont sound like that....
Did the same trick allready with the TSS King Air Sound Package and so I have the Beta / Reverse in there too! Edited by andy1975

Since most developers just don't respond I have to assume it is a limitation of fsx.
A few did or 'accidentally' rendered some more realistic sounds. Take the T Duke, JetProp and the old Twotter for example. So there's hope and I think that the pure prop behaviour is only bound to the sound.cfg entries.The second part comes from the good recording and filtering of the engine sounds. So that they are free of the prop harmonics and therefore allow the sound engine to separately run the effects on the turbine and the prop part.Good point on Xplane. But that King Air had the same error for me. Throttle up and you can hear the prop rpm going up too, although the prop rpm gauge didn't show a change. Edited. Weak memory, it does do better, you are right.I could think of some kind of widely spread misconception, especially on the free turbine models. For instance, I remember some folks asking if the T Duke behaviour on the prop sounds was correct. As the sound remainded relatively steady while the people moved the power levers, it was interpreted as wrong. Not bad at all for fellow sim flyers since how often do you run a rw turbine for example?Now, despite common belief, the folks programming sim planes and sounds are most of all programmers and sound designers, so maybe that misconception took a spin at some ends. Fortunately, not on all. Edited by CoolP

Rob, if I understand your actions, this may make the first (I have seen) sound set for the PA46T when combined with the prop sounds work being done. Are you taking the .wav files for each event (reverse, beta, etc.) from the the PA46T sound files and replacing them in the respective same event sound files for the Tduke? Any actions needed in the sound.cfg file?Russ

Edited by author. Disregard. Brain mixup of mine. :(

Edited by CoolP