Sign in to follow this  
Rush1169

RV-6 Landing Challenge #6 - ILS - Sweetly Intense

So the RV-6 Landing Challenge #6 - ILS to probably below minimums :) - that was a fun ride. Somehow I got it down on the first try, but had to quit after that - it was ugly, white-knuckled, but very sweet. . .anyone else like that one?

I like all the landing challenges. They are fun and some of them are a bit tricky !Fred.

Having done all the landing challenges already, I'm trying to perfect my aerobatic skills now!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes... that is what I said... it is very fun and very intense... (did not realize it was a landing challenge tho).

If you do... try flying the RV-6 on an ILS approach in Heavy Fog somewhere... pretty intense not having an autopilot and having to hand-fly to ILS mins.

Yes... that is what I said... it is very fun and very intense... (did not realize it was a landing challenge tho).
For whatever reason - that was a lot harder than any ILS landings in fog that I've done in FSX. . .definately going to have to do some more work on that one :)

For whatever reason - that was a lot harder than any ILS landings in fog that I've done in FSX. . .definately going to have to do some more work on that one :)
I felt the same way... but it could be due to using "automatics" so much in FSX and very little hand flying. Although... that (FLIGHT) fog sure is thick!All these nuts complaining about FLIGHT being a child's game... I wonder how many could descend with a One Dot deflection or less to 200' AGL... and then land, of course.

That was the horriblest (?) flight in the whole of the beta...

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

All these nuts complaining about FLIGHT being a child's game... I wonder how many could descend with a One Dot deflection or less to 200' AGL... and then land, of course.
Real world, you mean? Yes, I have. At small airfields and class B airports alike (e.g., KATL). And, in various aircraft with and without autopilot installed. Wait, am I one of the nuts you are referring to? Hehehe ;)

Hi Folks

So the RV-6 Landing Challenge #6 - ILS to probably below minimums :) - that was a fun ride. Somehow I got it down on the first try, but had to quit after that - it was ugly, white-knuckled, but very sweet. . .anyone else like that one?
LMAO.A definitively memorable experience !Having been indoctrinated here,that NavAids were non-existent, and/or non-functional,I'd flown this challenge without appreciating/reading the briefing.Made it down entirely manually,but only just.At one point looked at the HSI,only to realise I was inverted.Total hoot !Re-flew it several times using NavAidsand it still kept me glued.ATBPaul

Real world, you mean? Yes, I have. At small airfields and class B airports alike (e.g., KATL). And, in various aircraft with and without autopilot installed.
Of course I do not mean RW. Shame%20On%20You.gif You know we were talking about FLIGHT.But... since this is occasion to brag about RW... yes so have I (no autopilot tho). And I would take students up to "hunt" for minimum conditions or less and fly the approach(es).Try for yourself (in a RV-6 as stated above) and see how "childlike" it is...
Wait, am I one of the nuts you are referring to? Hehehe ;)
You know who you are. :P

All these nuts complaining about FLIGHT being a child's game... I wonder how many could descend with a One Dot deflection or less to 200' AGL... and then land, of course.
Understanding that you mean the "not real world pilots," I'd say the chances are somewhere between zero and none... :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

Of course I do not mean RW. Shame%20On%20You.gif You know we were talking about FLIGHT.But... since this is occasion to brag about RW... yes so have I (no autopilot tho). And I would take students up to "hunt" for minimum conditions or less and fly the approach(es).Try for yourself (in a RV-6 as stated above) and see how "childlike" it is...You know who you are. :P
I am tempted to try. To be honest, the only thing preventing me from installing the free base product is that I don't want to mess with my system, which is running my NGX in Fsx with all my addons with amazing results. That's why I'm all over this forum and the Flight site trying to find one compelling reason to assume the risk. So far, I'm not persuaded.

I am tempted to try. To be honest, the only thing preventing me from installing the free base product is that I don't want to mess with my system, which is running my NGX in Fsx with all my addons with amazing results. That's why I'm all over this forum and the Flight site trying to find one compelling reason to assume the risk. So far, I'm not persuaded.
Installing Flight will have absolutely ZERO consequences to your current FSX + Addons. None. I have installed/uninstalled numerous times on all four of my flightsim development machines with no issues whatever. As I've stated many times already, one simply cannot depend on hearsay evidence. One must actually read the brief themselves and perform their own due dilligence... :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

Now take a moment and reflect on this. This hairy situation in what people are calling a child's game. (And not a flight Sim at all)This "game" that while progressing through simple steps, may end with possibly millions of people knowing the fear of an ILS landing in inclement weather.This "game" that while allowing you to chase coins through an obstacle coarse, is also at the same time teaching you the subtleties of aircraft maneuvering without you even needing to be consciously aware of that fact.This "game" that is in fact imparting all the basic information necessary to then become curious and move on to more advanced principals.In the ivory towers of "true" Sim puritanism, with the worship of all that is most complicated and obscure, how often is the time and effort spared to do that anymore?Somebody has seen fit to turn back and finally throw down a rope to the forgotten masses, and I am very very happy for that.

Edited by HiFlyer'

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I fly plenty of "tubes" in FSX, and am finding that those hours of: (Setup/takeoff/turn on AP/hit Approach button/land). flights Have made my hand-flying skills very rusty. I find Flight very challenging...and fun "FUN"...isn't that the reason most of us started this hobby in the first place? RB