Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

What is Microsoft Flight? A video "review" I made.

By the way, you got a "Happy Chickens" bonus - must be a bug!
I never noticed the Happy Chickens bonus! Had to watch it, but your right! Like I said, the little buggers have short memories.
You guys keep talking about the Seabee... this is one of my aviation weaknesses... not knowing my GA aircraft.
The Seabee is a 4 seat GA amphibian made in 1947 just after WWII. In many many ways, it reminds me of the Icon A5. It had a very simple cockpit, and was made as the "every mans aircraft" to be sold to the masses. You can get some more information on this very unique aircraft here http://www.seabee.info/seabee.htmAlso note in the news section of the Seabee info page is my KCFS Seabee for FSX. They helped me out a lot when I was making the Seabee! Fun little aircraft if your interested in GA's.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Quite honestly, I think I've had more fun with your Seabee than I have had with my own Liberty XL2. Probably it's because it's an amphib and thus more versatile/flexible.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What a sweet little aircraft! :wub:I just took it "around the patch" at A29 (Sitka) and what a fun plane! Superb work on both the exterior and cockpit!Listening to the gulls... the noises from the fishing boat in the marina... I'm ready to open the door and drop a line with a bobber. Big%20Grin.gifReally liking that starburst paint job too.

Great vid! Thanks for posting.About the supposed "happy chickens bug," Kev might have it right with the chicken memory comment. I've done enough cargo missions to notice that different cargos have different thresholds of happiness. There also seem to be different animals and human passengers that either stay startled or can come back to happy status.I transported a girl who vomitted upon landing (it was a smooth one, I swear!). Then after vomitting, she was fine. I ended up getting high marks for that run, oddly enough.

Maybe she has some sort of kink? To each there own... :Sick: :wub:

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Nice video indeed! Although I did start skipping parts after 20 minutes because of the audio (and some work I have to do). I've got two remarks though:1. when you go to the map (press M) and you want to fly again, you seem to use the mouse to go the upper left and click all the way to 'Fly' again. However, that's not necessary: when you are at the map simply clicking M again will bring you back into the plane! I thought I'd just say that in case you or someone else doesn't know that. :wink: BTW I just LOVE how you can do everything on that map and not have to go from menu to menu as in FSX to change various things.2. it seems you are unaware (correct me if I am wrong) that you can also drag and drop the plane anywhere you want to on the FSX map...? :wink:

Maybe she has some sort of kink? To each there own... :Sick: :wub:
I suppose, but in reality, I usually feel better after a little upchuck.

The M key to exit out of the map did not exist in Beta, or when I worked on the game. Its an old habbit. Im the one who listed the "exit out of map with M key" as a bug, and the dev's DID fix it. Its still hard to un-train years of clicking free flight!!! I did not use the map mode all that often in FSX. Maybe twice. It was just hard to figure out. I thought it was cool you could re-trace your flight and stuff, but I just fly to fly. When I want to move to an area, I just type in the airport code (3W5) and fly!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I made this video to try to clear up some misconceptions and rumors at to WHAT FLIGHT IS.
Thank you very much for your video "review" that clear up "WHAT FLIGHT IS"!! :smile:

Is it a sim ? : NO Is it a kids game? : YesCan a "hard core" simmer enjoy Flight? Not likely.
Well, you probably didn't read enough posts on this forum.It is a sim, period. Apparently not your kind of sim, but that doesn't mean it is NOT a sim!It is a kids game, but... it's a grown ups game too!And lots of hardcore simmers like MS Flight. The fact that you, as a hardcore simmer, don't like something doesn't necessarily mean other hardcore simmers wont like it either.Try some of the later landing missions and see how hardcore you really are. :wink: Edited by J van E

If you can fly a 737 with xbox controller then its not a sim, period.but they will end up with a game appeal to noone.
You DO know you can fly a 737 with an Xbox controller in FSX, do you? So FSX isn't a sim either. I wonder what sim you are using? :wink:"Appeal to no one..." I'll repeat: there are hundreds of positive posts about MS Flight so... "no one" is definitely incorrect. You should have said "not me" or "not everyone". It's a good habit to only speak for yourself! :wink:

I think you dont know how many control surfaces , key mappings FSx has or you dont know how a xbox controller look like.Or Appearently according to you flying the plane is all about up down left right.No wonder you like MS. Well enjoy your D pad sim
I would like to say that really both games you can make it as easy or hard as you want. I know I have taken off in a 747 from PDX using a keyboard & mouse, a game pad, and a joystick at different parts of gaming....So far in flight I had just used keyboard and mouse but I know the joystick or game pad will both work great.Really it just depends on the end user and what they want. Some days I want to try my hardest at a real flight.. other days I just want to get up in the air and take a look at the beautiful world we live in when its been raining for two weeks straight in the real world.

Cross wind landing was a lost artform, till Flight. Now, its a required skill!!!! I learned to cross wind properly from watching Flying Wild Alaska. Once I started following that, I was able to cross wind land in Flight just fine. Its amazing what you learn on TV!
Good effort on the video, but let's not get carried away. Are you saying that crosswind landings were not possible until Flight?Some of us have been hand-flying, VOR/NDB navigating in real-time weather conditions for years and have been landing in what sure looked and felt like crosswind conditions.

I liked this video. Despite my critical simulationist stance on Flight, I still have the game installed and I like it very much whenever I just want to get my daily dose of flying in such a manner as to lose any imagined PPL in minutes...Flight is good, even for us simmers - like a coffee break.As a simulator the game still has gaping holes, chasms even. AP functionality, ATC, AI traffic, limited (16 players only atm) multiplayer functionality, many systems not functional or only "lightly" so.I refer to Flight as my blonde flying package - pretty, but not many brain cells (Oh yes, I do realise that is very condescending - and if my blonde wife sees this I am in for a serious talking at) Flight has nothing much to offer, that FSX can't give you.Except for the price... My FSX Megascenery Oahu is heartstoppingly prettier than the Flight version - but it cost me all in all some 4 or even 500 USD more... And as for the NW corner of the USA and the SW corner of Canada - I have spent several hundred USD on scenery for that region already and I need a $3000 PC to run it all... plus other bits and bobs...FLIGHT is great for a quick blast around the skies, if I am short on time. FSX is great when I want to go through a flight plan (even if it is just for an aero-sequence). There is room for both games in my heart and on my PC.A nice, sound and fair film Gibbage! A bit long winded, a bit loud, but full of good, honest information and even a few new tricks that I as a Beta Tester hadn't even caught on to.

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel