Sign in to follow this  
Stick

Just had TrackIR working (*fudged!*) in FLIGHT

...that got you're attention huh!Well I have indeed just flown in FLIGHT with TrackIR very basically (and a little abruptly) following my head movements.As expected, this was possible using TIR's Mouse Emulation program.Here is what i did;1). Go into TrackIR and change your key assignment for "Pause" to something other than F9 (the default), because in FLIGHT, the F9 key controls the VC view, so if you don't change it, TIR will override it and you can't select the VC!2). Browse to your PROGRAM FILES NATURALPOINT TrackIR 5 folder, and double click on the "TIR Mouse" exe.3). Make sure "X axis autopanning" is ticked.4). Now minimize TrackIR and TIRMouse, and launch FLIGHT.5). Here's the really clunky part!! --> Get some sticky tape or blu-tac and stick down your mouse's "Right Click" button (I'm afraid this is necessary, because as far as I can see, FLIGHT only activates 'mouse look' while the mouse's right button is pressed).6). Start a flight in FLIGHT and go into the VC.7). Press your TrackIR 'pause' button (to activate TrackIR from out of pause mode), and you're off!8). As and when the mouse view goes off track, simply move your mouse to centralize your view.It's not great .............. but for me, it's better than going back to viewing with a hat switch. :smile:

Edited by Stick

Bloody shame that of all the things in the standard.xml file, there's no option to reassign the right mouse button... :search:I'll have to give that a try tomorrow, along with Ryan's recommended "Seth-Flight.xml" profile. Thanks!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If you have a stick with toggles (like the Saitek AV8R) you can assign right mouse to a toggle through the programming utility and hold it in place with a rubber band when you want to pan (ie during flight). You can just unhook the rubber band when you want normal mouse function.I used to do this with Gunship! :-)

Edited by malibu43

Great find Stick. I just gave it a go and it is easy to set up a hold function on the Thrustmaster Warthog. As you rightly said, the solution is not that great, and the view goes off centre very quickly - not ideal.It made me realise how crucial it is to have headtracking in a VFR sim. I stand by my point, MS, I love what you have done so far with this game, but I am holding off any and all purchases until TrackIR has been added. I WANT to click on that Hawaii Scenery button, but I wont. Do the right thing.

IMHO there will be soon an interface, but NOT for the TrackIR, but for the Kinect. So keep your $$$$'s ready ...Hugo

I'll test asap, but here's something: disabling mouse acceleration in Win mouse settings might help in keeping view in sync.

I use an application called GlovePie to do some creative keyboard, joystick, and mouse mappings. In this case I use it to press the right mouse button unless I press a specific key on my joystick. This allows me to have panning turned on always and disabling it at will.The script I use is as follows.

Mouse.RightButton = neither Joystick3.Button6 nor Joystick3.Button5Mouse.MiddleButton = Joystick3.Button6key.BackSpace = Joystick3.Button5

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

They said a few times already they have no plans for Kinect. So dont count on it.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

IMHO there will be soon an interface, but NOT for the TrackIR, but for the Kinect. So keep your $$$$'s ready ...Hugo
I do hope this is not accurate, if so I will be like Warmbrak, I will though go ahead and purchase the Hawaii pack and the Maule , but any future offerings I will have to hold off until I find out if they are going to implement Track IR support. I am having a lot of fun with Flight here in the early days, but that is the one thing I am really missing, with each and every flight I do.

Yes, this is really a very rough way of getting it to work. It's not ideal, and head movements need to be really slow and steady.@n4gix; Bill, I wouldn't make this your first re-try of TrackIR or I fear you'll be put off for life! .... it's a very rough system, just really tried it as an experiment. I am not using it in FLIGHT now. But it was worth a try.It's certainly worth waiting for proper TIR support. :smile:Thanks.

Edited by Stick

I remember one of the message screens that came up on Flight when I was starting a challenge, was asking for feedback on things we wanted to see in Flight.It certainly could not hurt, for all of us Track IR owners to let them know how dissappointed we are that it does not have the support for it at this time, anyone know the proper site to submit customer feedback?

I went to the Microsft Flight home page for US, tried clicking on the contact us button, and get a pop up warning from IE , that there is a problem with that website's security certificate and does not recommend proceeding - LOL , now that is funny!

I got it to work quite okay by disabling "Enhance pointer precision" (in XP, also called mouse acceleration) and decreasing "mouse speed" until normal head movements wouldn't make the cursor touch screen edges. Now I am flying mouse in left hand and RMB pressed :-)Not the real thing yet, but now I can see the runway before final approach turn..(I'll reiterate my decision: I won't buy any dlc before TrackIR is supported by MS. There should be enough of us to make it profitable for them to do it asap...)