Sign in to follow this  
David_McMahon

Inverted flight?

Using the Stearman, is it possible to invert the beast?I am only using Keyboard/Mouse so thinking maybe I need a joystick and switch off auto-coordinate?

Yes indeed, although hard to hold it for a very long time - you can rack up some bonus points in some of the challenges, like flying through hoops, by performing aerobatics between them - I found inverted can really rack them up if you can hold it as long as you can.

The engine will putter out on you inverted.. Maule engine will also choke except you have about a 5 second window before she starts sputtering.

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Using the Stearman, is it possible to invert the beast?I am only using Keyboard/Mouse so thinking maybe I need a joystick and switch off auto-coordinate?
You need the joystick,Almost impossible with the keyboard and mouse.Don't fly the Stearman inverted for long; it chokes. Edited by Kabronicus

RV6 will do it quite happily..
Yeah, I had the RV trimmed out straight and level inverted today and flew it that way quite a while.

You are right Bert, and there is even an achievement low level inverted flying.I got it over water.

Seems I need to fit newer Fuel injection to the Stearman! Thanks to all, did find that the mouse control simply would not let me have enough bank angle or pitch angle to invert, I managed it briefly with the Keyboard controls, but as said the engine sputters

Seems I need to fit newer Fuel injection to the Stearman! Thanks to all, did find that the mouse control simply would not let me have enough bank angle or pitch angle to invert, I managed it briefly with the Keyboard controls, but as said the engine sputters
Yeah, but I will tell you, in some of the challenges like flying through the hoops where you get bonus points for aerobatics, you can get it inverted and hold it a few moments to rack up some points. Even when engine sputters out, hold it a moment longer, then as nose starts to fall roll it over upright and in another moment the engine will come back on... Edited by dburne

I find the craft sputters and plummets quickly, to the point where I can't do a proper aileron roll! Will try harder I suppose
Sounds like you maybe need to get a little more speed built up before rolling inverted. I will dive the plane slightly to get some speed built up, then climb slightly and immediately roll to inverted.But, I do use a joystick and any of the flying aides disabled. Edited by dburne

There is an achievement for flying inverted, 10ft above the water. DONT try this in anything thats NOT an RV6 as the engine will quit due to fuel starvation (it happens in real aircraft). I tried this last night. Inverted my aircraft, and used trim to nudge myself down to the surface. Im thinking "MY GOD! I must be skimming the surface!" and freaking out. Then I noticed my altimiter was at 100ft AGL.... Ya. I had a bit more to go... I have never been so freaked out in a game my entire life then when I was finally skimming that water at 10ft from the cockpit looking UP. Damn near had a heart attack, and THIS IS JUST A GAME?! Never felt something so really stressfull my entire life.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Never felt something so really stressfull my entire life.
I appreciate your point Kevin. Thanks for posting that as something (exciting) to look forward to. :Big Grin:But let me add... you have never flown in the MS Round-the-World-Race have you? (http://www.fsrtwrace.com/)Rob