Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

Being brought to the calendar rather than the forums...

Greetings,I have historically used the http://forum.avsim.net/index/ link to quickly and easily access the AVSIM forum index page, and recently it has been intermittently failing and bringing me to a different page.About 40% of the time, when I attempt to use my bookmark with that link, I am brought to some sort of abbreviated calendar page with a small list of "Recent Posts" at the top, not the actual forum indexes.Shown here:From there, I have to hover over the "Community" tab and select the forum menu item to be brought to the traditional forums index. Note that this calendar page looks a bit different from the one accessible via the "Community" tab, "Calendar" item.Even then, when I hover over the "Community" tab at the top and select the "Forums" item from that menu, about 40% of the time I will also get the calendar as well.I cannot pin exactly when this started happening to me, but it has been going on for several days if not a week or so.Something seems a bit amiss on the loading of the index page. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?-Greg

Same here! I usually click on the forums tab on the main page and end up on the above shown page. I can also confirm the problem with landing on the calendar page when I select the forums under the community tab. Probably started 2 or 3 weeks ago, maybe more.

Same here. My workaround is to click the AVSIM logo/link in the upper right corner of the webpage. Not always work at first click, but eventually ...

Add me to the list. Seems very annoyng as I end up having to click and click to get to the actual forum top page. Sometimes I can get there in 2 or 3 clicks, sometimes I go back-and-forth and eventually get here. If there was just dome dependable way to get to the foum top page I could live with it.scott s..

Guys, this is an artifact resulting from some browsers not aligning the index page to the left, but centering it instead. When that happens, the content that appears normally appears on the right hand column gets jumbled around and some ends up after the main forum list. Refresh your browser. If that does not work, click on the COMMUNITY tab. Some are having this issue and others are not.

Thanks Tom for the explanation, this is an intermittent problem for me also on FF 10.0.2 but for some reason today it is happening very frequently much more so than usual, maybe AVSIM forums are especially busy today or something which is helping to make it more frequent.

--John near KPAE

but for some reason today it is happening very frequently much more so than usual,
I have the same problem. More badly, for some days now I have problems to get into the forums at all, having only this on my screen, it needs up to five attempts to get in:

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I'm experiencing the same today. My guess is that 90% of the time I'm getting a screen like the one you posted. Reloading the page only works in some of the cases.It seems as if this problem really got worse yesterday, and especially today...

I experienced the same blank page issue for the past several hours as well, but I may have found the cause - at least for me...I run Firefox 10.0.2 with AdBlock Plus installed - on a whim, I took a look at the AdBlock logs and features, and when the blank page issue struck, there were blocked items listed by ABP which did not look like actual advertisements... they were scripts attempting to run on the AVSIM page.After disabling AdBlock, the AVSIM forums load and function normally with no issues.Recommendation: If you are using AdBlock or any similar software tools, disable it fully to see if that solves the issue. If it does solve the issue, consider adding a site exception for AVSIM to prevent it from causing problems on the forums. You shouldn't need to disable or uninstall the AdBlock software, just make sure that forum.avsim.net is set up as an exception.Good luck!-Greg

I experienced the same blank page issue for the past several hours as well, but I may have found the cause - at least for me...I run Firefox 10.0.2 with AdBlock Plus installed - on a whim, I took a look at the AdBlock logs and features, and when the blank page issue struck, there were blocked items listed by ABP which did not look like actual advertisements... they were scripts attempting to run on the AVSIM page.After disabling AdBlock, the AVSIM forums load and function normally with no issues.
Ah thanks greggerm! I run the same and usually turn off AdBlock Plus on sites like AVSIM where I want to help support the site via Ad income, and for some reason I forgot to do that after my recent OS re-install but will surely do that now especially if that is the cause of the problem.I can confirm that this appears to have fixed the problem for me, good work!

--John near KPAE

GregMany thanks for your suggestion. I now have disabled forum.avsim.net in Adblock Plus and problem has been fixed.Problem is that Adblock Plus in FF has been on my computer well before the problems described starting to hinder access to the main Forum page.I think the forum software is the culprit but that is Tom's domain.Again many thanks for your assistance.Regardsnoels7

Noel Southam

Hello Greg, thanks for your advice. Seems to work fine. Maybe the Adblock easy list from March 4th caused the problems, thats more or less exactly the time by which the problems occured first.Best regardsHarald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg