Sign in to follow this  

I usually don't have a problem getting a plane into a sustained spin, but in Flight I cannot seem to do it. In most sims I'm frantically trying to get the plane out of a spin after acidentally inducing it. In Flight try as I may I cannot get the thing to truely spin, controlled or uncontrolled. Is there any sort of tip or trick anyone has to keep the plane from exiting the spin virtually on it's own? I don't have any of the assists turned on and have been practicing in the RV-6a.

Never mind the sign in the Maule that says spins are prohibited! ^_^

In the Acrobatics Competition Mission the instructor gives specific advice on spins.And its told that turning off the Increased Stability is a must.Hope this helps :)But yeah consecutive spins in Flight isnt as easy as I thought it would be.RegardsViperFive

Most consective spins I've had is 12.. It is possible. :)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Alright, after more experimentation I figured out what I was doing wrong. For anyone having trouble: right as the plane is about to stall and you apply full rudder, jam the throttle full open; it'll spin every time.Recovery seems a bit too easy in my opinion.

I got the Stearman to clime to just over 11,000 feet and I could not hold it any longer. It entered a full on power stall , feel off on one wing and spun 5 compleat rotations before I could pull it out at 4,000 ft. Power off, kick hard opposite rudder and make a normal recovery. The hard deck was coming up REALLY fast. It did not help that I also had almost a full fuel load.

Alright, after more experimentation I figured out what I was doing wrong. For anyone having trouble: right as the plane is about to stall and you apply full rudder, jam the throttle full open; it'll spin every time.Recovery seems a bit too easy in my opinion.
No power results in a stall, regardless of rudder input.Max power and high AOA results in a spin. Oh, and spins are to the left if your prop turns clockwise, and right if turning counterclockwise. I can remember practicing stalls and spins (or recover from them) in flight school and power is the key.(Also remember to turn off the stabilization and prop effects or you won't be able to induce a spin.)WildBill

I definitely like the flight modeling in flight and consider it an improvement. In fact I think it is the best right now for a home simulator under normal flight conditions. I especially love the feel of landings in this sim with crosswinds,I feel that the stalls and spins are still poorly modelled.My expectation is that the aircraft will depart more abrubtly and pitch down much more quickly than we are seeing right now. I have been able to maintain a slow climb with a lot of buffeting with full up elevator and full power in the Stearman. It makes no sense because with that much airflow from the prop, the elevator should be very effective and easily result in a stall.I also find that the ailerons remain way too effective and do not create enough adverse yaw when going into a stall from slow flight. It should take a lot of footwork to keep coordinated if I'm moving the ailerons at those low airpseeds.Spins aren't working well and I believe that is because the stalls and adverse yaw isn't working well as I described above. I can't get into a spin in the Stearman by going into slow flight, and then performing a power on stall (about 30 degrees nose up) with no rudder correction and aileron input to try and hold heading. That should very reliably create a spin and it doesn't. I end up in a tail slide and pitching down in a momentary stall where I can recover while almost holding in full up elevator. When I do this in a 172 for training, you very quickly learn that did something very very wrong! I received credit for "spinning" when I was merely tumbling down and entering a spiral dive. I was barely rotating, and rotating very slowly at that. I didn't even have to let go of my crossed controls to recover.Frankly, I think all the home sims suck in this respect, so I'm not surprised to see that the emphasis remains on normal flight conditions where I feel that Flight is a step forward.PS - I've never flown a Stearman so my impressions are based on flying a C172. I have had a Stearman follow me in on the pattern and land right behind me. I got to speak to the pilot for a bit while admiring his airplane. It is a beauty and it sounds amazing!Someone elsewhere on this forum posted a complaint about the flight model being very unrealistic and that there is no way a Stearman could take off in such a short time or distance (around 6 seconds I believe he said). Trust me, it can do it on a hot summer day.

I completed that assignment the first time. I turned off the stabalizer in the options, Climbed to 3,000 in the bipe, with nose up, I reduced power as the wing fell I gave full rudder and full up elevator. I completed 3 turns in 1500 feet. To pull out, just release the stick ( may have to apply opposite rudder) and add full power. I collected 300 XP's for doing it right the first time.