Sign in to follow this  
Simcees

Sould a joystick make MSF more enjoyable?

A stick makes it definitely more enjoyable and more controllable. I have been simming for a long time and have tried many flight controllers. I always felt that the rudder felt more realistic removed from the twist stick but could never afford pedals. I found the cheaper alternative of the Speedlink Black Widow Flightstick, now £25.00 on Amazon, and found that the rocker on the throttle handle, operated by first and second finger gave me a better experience. The throttle arrangement also makes finer control easy. I now use, and recomend, the much better Thrustmaster T Flight Hotas X, £35 on Amazon much better. It splits into two parts, throttle and joystcick, is very solid and also works with a PS3,, should you have one.Sacriligious though it may be, I actually prefer the Thrustmaster to my friends' Saitek X52.If you want the best conventional joystick with twist for rudder then the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro cannot be beaten. About £33.00 on Amazon.

I have a Saitek X52 pro, but this might be a little expensive for starters and it does require a lot of space on your desk.The Microsoft Sidewinder Sidewinder Precision 2 is one of the best joysticks ever made. It doesn't use pots, so there is basically no loss in accuracy over time. Unfortunately this one is no longer produced, but you can get a used stick for around $20.

I have dug out my old Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB for use with Flight. It is quite a nice stick but despite several calibration attempts I'm constantly flying a little to the left. Is there a solution anyone can suggest ? The Saitek software for this stick is not available for Windows 7. Is there a method of adjusting deadzone or fixing this in another way ?

I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I love it. Highly recommended!
Does the Logitech stick have any "return to center" force at all in Flight? My trusty old MS Force Feedback 2 works OK in Flight, but has no return to center, the stick just kind of flops around loosely.

The Microsoft Sidewinder Sidewinder Precision 2 is one of the best joysticks ever made. It doesn't use pots, so there is basically no loss in accuracy over time. Unfortunately this one is no longer produced, but you can get a used stick for around $20.
Heh, mine's still going strong after 12 years.

Mine too. I still use it today until I have a bigger desk to accomodate the X52

I purchased the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro several years ago to update from the old Microsoft sidewinder. I feel it is a very good entry level joystick. It does have a return to center ability with the rudder and joystick control. I think i paid $40 for it, but like I said, that was years ago. As said earlier, can be found new for around $25 now. The investment has paid itself off many times over through the years.

I purchased the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro several years ago to update from the old Microsoft sidewinder. I feel it is a very good entry level joystick. It does have a return to center ability with the rudder and joystick control. I think i paid $40 for it, but like I said, that was years ago. As said earlier, can be found new for around $25 now. The investment has paid itself off many times over through the years.
Has you Z Rotation `loosened up' at all? I always have to adjust my Z rotation sensitivity for any game because the left rotation is ever so slightly `loose' but it's enough that even the slightest bit of pressure triggers it. It's a few years old now.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Does the Logitech stick have any "return to center" force at all in Flight? My trusty old MS Force Feedback 2 works OK in Flight, but has no return to center, the stick just kind of flops around loosely.
The Extreme 3D Pro isn't a force feedback one. It springs back to centre quite well.The Force 3D Pro is the opposite. It's a force feedback and has a horrible centring spring. I had one and it lost calibration to the point that it wasn't usable just 6 months after I bought it.

Thanks all for your replies. I finally bought a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X. It feels good, now I have to experiment what assignments are the best/most practical to use.I'm satisfied with the feeling/smooth handlings of the console.Mmm.., more silver or even gold awards should be in sight with this toy and my pilot-career will rise like a ... Mustang? :wink:

Thanks all for your replies. I finally bought a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X. It feels good, now I have to experiment what assignments are the best/most practical to use.
I just got my Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X on Friday. Fantastic joystick. I tweaked the default mappings some, assigned extend/retract flaps to the two bottom buttons on the right of the throttle. I don't find the slider on the back of the throttle all that usable as a rudder, too sensitive, but rudder on the joystick twist works great. Definitely a major upgrade from the Logitech Attack 3 that I had before.

I found it worth persevering with the slider as rudder and found it much better than the twist once i was used to it. Whatever you do, glad you are enjoying it.

I found it worth persevering with the slider as rudder and found it much better than the twist once i was used to it. Whatever you do, glad you are enjoying it.
Hi Peterchambers and CJPthanks for your advises/comments. I'm very satisfied with this console. It reacts very smoothly, glad I purchased it and for a good (low) price. For your interest: this are the assignments I like the most at this moment.It is in de 5-axis mode (Home: green led); because as you said, no need to have the rudders in the throttle-handle. So I assigned it to something else. 1 (Air)Brakes 2 Change (5x) view 3 To Free Look View 4 Reset (center) view THROTTLE (Z-axis) – to + 5 Flaps: decrease 6 Flaps: increase 7 Parking Brake: on/off 8 Gear: up/down 9 Trim: nose up 10 Trim: nose down rocking-button Fly with mouse: on/off SE-button Lights: on/off ST-button Aircraft: on/off

The Extreme 3D Pro isn't a force feedback one. It springs back to centre quite well.The Force 3D Pro is the opposite. It's a force feedback and has a horrible centring spring. I had one and it lost calibration to the point that it wasn't usable just 6 months after I bought it.
Thanks, I never used the force feedback option in my MS Force Feedback 2 so it sounds like the Extreme 3D Pro is the way for me to go. I think I have had the FF2 for at least 10-years with no problems, but it is a pain due to no support. I have to jump through some hoops every time I start FSX just to get it to return to center, and in Flight it is not possible. Like the looks of the Saitek X52 system, but don't really have the room, and probably don't need most of the options.

Oh man.. I just finally upgraded my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (Z Rotation finally wore out) for a Saitek X52 Pro.. Holy cow I feel like someone should take my Sim Pilots License away from me. I can't fly anymore. :LMAO: Oh man this is going to take a lot getting used to..Great hardware though!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors