Sign in to follow this  
RSorochak

Baffled

So I want to give Flight a try. I downloaded and installed it to a drive other than C:. Everything seemed to go fine with the install. But how do you start this sucker?If I select MS Flight in Program Files, nothing happens. There's also a link for Games for Windows Marketplace that asks for my GamerTag??, when I click it. There's also a Windows Live ID shortcut that also asked for some sort of ID the first time I clicked it and I had no idea what it was referring to. The 2nd time I clicked it, I went nowhere.I'm running WP Pro SP3, myself as administrator.Thanks,Rich

I'm running WP Pro SP3, myself as administrator.
Ambiguous typo there Rich:
  • If it's XP then I think you're out of luck because Flight doesn't support XP
  • If it's W7 then look for the launcher in the Games link in the Start menu.

Edit: I just checked the minimum specs on the Flight website and XP SP3 is supported - my bad!

Edited by Highmike

Mike Beckwith

You are probably running an outdated OS (WP Pro SP3). Please upgrade and ask again.

Well, according to their website XP SP3 is supported. And I'm not about to go through a Win7 upgrade at this point just to try out the free demo of a game. So...back to the drawing board. I might uninstall it and let it install where it wants to just to see, if it's enough of a pig, for that to be the issue.Rich

Hmmm...1. You'll need a gamer tag from Microsoft...its also a windows Live(like xbox Live, same thing) ID....which will serve as your log in info if you want to play online.2. I noticed on my computer, that the 1st time i launch Flight, in the morning usually after i turn on my PC...it, for some reason, doesn't pop up for about 3 minutes or so...its as if i clicked nothing. not sure why, but open your task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and check the Processes tab...look for Flight.exe. If its in there, its booting, or trying to boot, if its not then someone is haywire.3. the Flight icon for the game is called Flight or microsoft flight....BUT is a picture of an airplane that says "play"....however, if you don't have a desktop icon, just click the windows button(bottom left of your screen at all times) open the search, type in FLIGHT or Microsoft FLIGHT....once your find it, right click and drag to the desktop and "create shortcut here"...or you right click and "open containing folder" to see where its hidden at on the HD, and move the file if you want. gl.edit: also worth noting....everytime you boot the game, windows live will launch (or the marketplace).....if you don't have a powerhouse PC (or even a good one)..maybe launching 2 programs at once is bogging it down...you should open and log into microsoft live....then launch flight, to save some load time.

Thanks for the info. I reinstalled Flight overnight (in the default location this time) and will give your suggestions a shot at some point this evening.Thanks again.Rich

I run Windows XP SP3 and Flight works fine.Best to use the /3GB boot switch for extra application address space but not essential.Also installed to c:fsflight rather than the default location.If the install succeeded you should have a desktop icon (I think) and a Start menu item.CheersKeith

Thanks, Keith, for the info.There was no Desktop icon until I put one there. It is listed in the Start menu. I presume that's how you start Flight--through the Flight executable. I tried both but Flight didn't start. No error messages or anything. I tried twice. The first time there was HD activity. The 2nd time silence. Nothing resembling flight was listed in the Task Manager window under either the programs or processes tabs.I also tried to set up a Wondows Live account. Thought it was set up but, in trying to log on, I got an error message with an numbered error code of some sort and nowhere to get an explanation. I'm a work now. I'll play around with it again tonight.Rich

When I installed Flight - and I did so to another drive - the first time I launched it, I got a message to the effect of Games for Windows Live needed an update - I let it download and install the update, then it was fine. I apparently already had the GFWL application on my system from a previous game at some point...If you uninstalled Flight, be sure and go into the appropriate folders in your appdata folder, in both roaming and local, and delete any Flight folders before trying to reinstall.

Guest Antlab
I also tried to set up a Wondows Live account. Thought it was set up but, in trying to log on, I got an error message with an numbered error code of some sort and nowhere to get an explanation. I'm a work now. I'll play around with it again tonight.
I recently had a similar problem with the Live account. Check if this thread can help you:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/364743-what-is-error-80154002-games-for-windows-live/A.

Thanks, Dburne and Antlab. D, I went through and deleted everything I could find relating to MS Flight before reinstalling. A lot of programs like to leave pieces behind, so I learned long ago to check for that sort of thing. But the reminder doesn't hurt.A, I checked your link quickly and recognized the error code as identical to mine. I'll read through the thread more carefully, when I get home. Hopefully you've put me on the right track.Rich

Antlab, Thanks. That took care of the Live account problem. I'm all set there. But Flight still doesn't load. I've tried installing multiple times without success. Each install ends the same way: The Marketplace?? window is there with a button that says something to the effect "Click play to fly" but in front of that is another window saying that I have to reboot my computer for the installation to complete. And there's no possibility of clicking "play" until I've rebooted. Once I'm back to the Desktop, I can never get that window back again. And trying to start Flight from the EXE is a no-go. There are no error messages or anything. Just a bit of HD activity and, then, nothing.Unless someone has another idea or two, this will have to get shelved until I have more time to play around with it.Rich