Sign in to follow this  
StarZtorm

RV-6A Landing challenge 2 - Help please.

I'm using Fraps.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I just went in and checked , the silver - the first one I think - is the best I had gotten on this one, but I had tried it early on in my days of Flight.Now I am motivated to go back and try for the top prize - but it is a tough one indeed. I agree with the OP, this probably should have ranked a little higher up the scale on the RV challenge landings.

I ca't figure out how to embed the video. LOLhttp://youtu.be/i1Bzu1uLJ1YHere you go. I only have the free version of Fraps (30 second limit) so I couldn't record the entire approach without captuting the final result. Please note the position of my rudder pedals throughout the manuever, there is a lot of left rudder held in during the approach. I am using the ailerons to "sideslip" the aircraft left and right with a bias to the right because that is the direction the wind is blowing from. I am using the rudder to keep the aircraft aligned with the runway so that I am aimed straight down the runway throughout the entire final approach and landing. When those wheels touch the ground the nose had better be pointing at the far end of the runway, with zero sideslip or your score (and mechanic Just%20Kidding.gif) will suffer.I touched down right main gear first as the wind was from the right. I needed to have the right wing lower at touchdown to stop from drifting left with the crosswind. Note my last second correction to the left when I realised I was a little off to the right. Oops!I kept the airspeed as close to the target of 75 knots as I could. It was a little higher so I could control the aircraft a little better, but I really wasn't watching it closely because I was trimmed for that speed. I using the throttle to control the rate of descent. I started my final ~800' AGL from about .5 miles out.Make sure you hold full aileron in the direction of the wind (right in this case) and full back elevator after you touch down for max control and braking.Practice practice practice. This sim flies just like the real deal. I am really loving it more and more by the minute!The crab technique is perfectly valid. If you hit the rudder travel limit and you can't stay aligned with the runway then that means the crosswind is too strong for a sideslip technique. The crab will give you a little more to work with, but it is harder to do IMHO.Good Luck!

Right so i need some advice on how to get at least silver on this landing challenge... All ive managed up until now is bronze. And it is the side skid im having trouble with. How do you land the RV, with relatively strong sidewind, without the side skid? Ive been trying to go in fast to compensate but it doesnt help. trying to line up to the side of the runway and letting the wind blow me in as i touch down doesnt help. Do i need to land in the wind direction? Then how are you supposed to land on the center of the runway? :S I need some advice.
I hadn't done this challenge in several days so I decided to try it again to remember which one you were talking about. This may not help much but I was able to nearly get gold on my first attempt. I use a flight yolk, no rudder. Crossed the threshold at about 105kts, full flaps. The cross winds didn't seem to bother me much the closer I got to touching down. I feathered it down with an easy touch and almost no side skid.Perhaps the key is to avoid any radical movements when you're about to touch down. Have that all sorted out shortly after crossing the threshold or before descending under 10 feet.I found the landing challenges for the other planes a heck of a lot more difficult than the RV, landing on those barely visible dirt road runways, or shabby paved runways which are extremely short (you'll get to one or two of those in the RV)

105kts on the threshold? That's way to fast but if it works for you.. But just letting you know you're completely too fast. Especially considering you have a partial headwind of 29kts

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

And the flaps are limited to 90kts - the "White Arc" on the air speed indicator. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere in Flight, so unless you know to look for it, you wouldn't know to look for it... That said... a modern C-172 is good for 10° of flaps before you get to the white arc. Is the RV the same? If so, ignore what I just said!Mike

Well i finally managed to get silver on the landing challenge. All the advices in this thread has been really helpful! What worked for me was setting the camera angle so that it was centered on the runway when the nose was pointing into the wind. Then right before touching down use the rudder to align with runway and touch down. Its called crabbing am i right? Ty guys!

Congratulations OP! Now go finish landing challenges 3, 4, 5, and 6 to earn your tiger stripe paint scheme!

Congratulations OP! Now go finish landing challenges 3, 4, 5, and 6 to earn your tiger stripe paint scheme!
Yup, did them all in one go after challenge 2!

Congrats! I must have had silver on this once before and just forgot after I accidentally cleared my challenge completions.Glad you got it.. Now do it backwards!! ;)

Nice job! The landing challenges can be really tough. I'm wondering when they're going to start holding fly-ins with all this practice that everyone is getting.

I found this particular challenge quite demanding (score wise). I manage to get a soft landing and center runway fine but i can't seem to impress the side skid "judge" :) I made a video two days ago when i first tried that challenge and recorded my 4th attempt (was i naive to think i will actually get gold that easy :) ). I haven't tried the challenge since, i got gold on all RV-6 challenges except number 2 and number 4 ( i think that's the right number, the extreme fog landing). I will start up my Flight now and try to get gold :)For anyone that is interested to see how a noob does it, please check out my video :)P.S. I apologize for accidentally recording a Skype conversation with a friend of mine who used some not so nice words (completely unrelated to Flight since we just happened to talk over Skype while i was doing this challenge).Let me know what do you think of this particular try, it got me a bronze medal.Cheers

Nice job Eevun, very similar to how I have been attempting it.I too now have the bronze - I think , whatever the middle one is - got it earlier today after repeated attempts.I haven't give up on the gold yet though, will be making more attempts either later tonight or tomorrow.

Eevun, your approach looks great. Instead of diving down at the end to get lower, lower the throttle and keep the airspeed where it is. You picked up a few knots as you dove which will make you land futher down the runway and faster giving you less time to work.You should also have used your left rudder to align the nose of the aircraft down the runway as you got on short final and over the runway. Keep the nose aimed down the runway and use the ailerons to bank the plane left or right as needed to slip to the left and right. Do it as early as possible so that you can remain steady and heading straight down the runway and not slipping left nor right. If you can add that into what you just did you'll fix your skid issue.If you're doing it correctly, you'll be pushing the rudder in on direction and the ailerons in the other. Do whatever it takes to get the aircraft aligned and steady and then keep it steady. Do it all the way through your landing flare and touchdown. You will land with one wing lower than the other and just let the airplane settle down onto its other wheel as it settles down. Keep using the rudder to keep it aimed down the runway. Once the wheels are firmly on the ground and your nose begins to lower then it is time to neutralize the rudder so that the nose wheel doesn't touch down sideways. You will fly and land the plane banked to one side and using just enough rudder to keep it from turning.

Thx Dburne :)I tried it for another ten times today and keep falling short of gold for as low as 30 points! It is frustrating but i enjoy trying over and over again :) I guess, if nothing else, it is great for practice. I mean, i land smoothly every time and have it aligned with runway but that horrid side skid is killing me. I managed to get 420 and cannot reach another 30 points to save my life :)P.S. I will also keep trying till i get that gold.Cheers