Sign in to follow this  
ArturWashton

Which has been your most difficult approach?

If anyone's interested, here are some quite good charts for MHTG.http://vatca.net/files/mhtg.pdf

ENGM manually flown CATIII at RVR=400m and cloud base of 180ft at pitch black night, at these conditions it is realy easy to get disorientated when it feels like the plane is climbing at a VS of -900ft/min.
Not sure if the regs are different in Scandinavia, but "manual" and "CAT-III" cannot go together. In the sim, sure, but speaking technically, if you're flying without the use of the automagic (essentially CAT-II or less) using CAT-III minima, you're breaking the regs.Like I said, though, this is the sim, so there is no FAA/JAA and therefore nobody to bust you for it, but I just wanted to point that out.

Kyle Rodgers

Not sure if the regs are different in Scandinavia, but "manual" and "CAT-III" cannot go together. In the sim, sure, but speaking technically, if you're flying without the use of the automagic (essentially CAT-II or less) using CAT-III minima, you're breaking the regs.Like I said, though, this is the sim, so there is no FAA/JAA and therefore nobody to bust you for it, but I just wanted to point that out.
Well who the f..k cares? I can't even find any regulations in the AVNOR stopping me and in the swedish AIP ENR 1.3.4.1b (I would be realy suprised if norway does anything that isn't done in sweden becaus all countries in europe are obligated to fallow the JAA/JAR protocoll) I only need an approvement from the national transportation agency to do anything I want and so it happens that I have all approvements I need of for the whole europe like the rest of SAS company :(

Well who the f..k cares? I can't even find any regulations in the AVNOR stopping me and in the swedish AIP ENR 1.3.4.1b (I would be realy suprised if norway does anything that isn't done in sweden becaus all countries in europe are obligated to fallow the JAA/JAR protocoll) I only need an approvement from the national transportation agency to do anything I want and so it happens that I have all approvements I need of for the whole europe like the rest of SAS company :(
No need to be childish about it. You'll note I acknowledged the fact that you can do whatever you want in a sim. Nowhere in that post did I tell you that you have to follow real world rules in the sim. I simply provided you information about CAT-III requirements, as I expect the JAA region to be similar. Take it or leave it, but there's no point in treating me so poorly. I know I'm not the only avenue of information here, but you can be sure that I will not be so ready to help you in the future.

Kyle Rodgers

Well, after trying the (in)famous Tegucigalpa north RNAV 02 approach, I have to admit, indeed not an easy one:-) Did the flight from KATL to MHTG, everything went smooth but at TG11 - when the turn to final should be initiated, I think I turned too early or banked too hard and found myself in a weird angle arriving to the threshold from the side... For the time I finally managed to line up with the rwy, I had at least 1/3rd of the useful runway behind me:-) Still, no fatalities, and the landing was in the end successful but also, horrible... If anyone familar with this particular approach, which waypoint is the one where you usually get your hands dirty, switch the A/P and A/T off and fly the rest of the approach manually? I only took over at TG#11 but I think I should have taken over much earlier. Also, a trackIR would be cool because peripheral vision in these kind of (visual) approaches is important.

No need to be childish about it. You'll note I acknowledged the fact that you can do whatever you want in a sim. Nowhere in that post did I tell you that you have to follow real world rules in the sim. I simply provided you information about CAT-III requirements, as I expect the JAA region to be similar. Take it or leave it, but there's no point in treating me so poorly. I know I'm not the only avenue of information here, but you can be sure that I will not be so ready to help you in the future.
You can do hand flown CAT III landings if you have a HUD.

I'd vote that anything in Norway that's off the coast is going to be a tough approach. Isn't the approach to Mo where you have to navigate to a succession of NDBs, and then you get led in by lights?...or is that Mosjøen?
Like to fly along the norway coast.Did you mean Mo-I-Rana Rossvoll airport ? (enra) The approach plate looks challeging. Do you know any scenery for that airport ?

Paro Airport (VQPR) in Bhutan
I don't think I have an aircraft in FS that is Cat A/B that isn't Cessna. I think all mine are C/D.Best regards,Robin.

Robin: you could technically consider a very empty 736 or 737 a CAT B if you go with the interpretation that performance categories are to be derived by specific weight and thus Vapp at given moment. I have seen folks argue that they regard 738s C because they basically never land at D speeds anyway, not being at MLW.

You can do hand flown CAT III landings if you have a HUD.
True. Had forgotten about that one.
Like to fly along the norway coast.Did you mean Mo-I-Rana Rossvoll airport ? (enra) The approach plate looks challeging. Do you know any scenery for that airport ?
It could have been. I remember doing a huge tour around Norway back in college with the 1900C model, and I flew into one airport in the middle(ish) of Norway with an app that had lights that you were supposed to pick up when breaking through the clouds, and continue visually using those. For some reason, I thought it was more inland, but I took a look at the approach plates for ENRA and found this: https://www.ippc.no/...ENRA_5-3_en.pdf and it definitely depicts the non-standard lighting on the way in. I know ENHV has similar, but that's definitely not the one I'm referencing here.As far as scenery goes, there was Norske Flyplasser for FS2004, but I don't know of anything for FSX.

Kyle Rodgers

I don't think Mo I rana is covered by any of the Norwegian FSX sceneries out there.But I will recomend the Norway airports package. Lots of nice places to go. Even a few you can take the 737 into.ENAT - Alta, ILS 11 circle to land rwy 29. Nice challenge in the winter. The -800 gets weight restricted when the weather is bad and you have to circle into 29.https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENAT/EN_AD_2_ENAT_5-1_en.pdfENTC - Tromsø, ILS into rwy 01. It's pretty steep 4%, could be a challenge if you don't configure your self ahead of the slope.https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENTC/EN_AD_2_ENTC_5-1_en.pdflink to the scenery here.http://www.flightsim.no/fsno/filbibliotek/fsx/scenery/europa/norge/1296.html

I'll have to look at the airports a little later. Here's the old Norske Flyplasser so you can see which airports were modeled:http://www.flightsim.no/norway/naframe.php?del=flyplasserENRA doesn't show as done, but i know one was modeled with the curved approach lighting (other than ENHV).

Kyle Rodgers

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the ILS 31C CTL 22L at Chicago Midway. Throw in some crappy weather and a crosswind, and that approach becomes a fun challenge

Joe Sherrill

True. Had forgotten about that one.It could have been. I remember doing a huge tour around Norway back in college with the 1900C model, and I flew into one airport in the middle(ish) of Norway with an app that had lights that you were supposed to pick up when breaking through the clouds, and continue visually using those. For some reason, I thought it was more inland, but I took a look at the approach plates for ENRA and found this: https://www.ippc.no/...ENRA_5-3_en.pdf and it definitely depicts the non-standard lighting on the way in. I know ENHV has similar, but that's definitely not the one I'm referencing here.As far as scenery goes, there was Norske Flyplasser for FS2004, but I don't know of anything for FSX.
Thank you!If you remember the name of the field, or other challenging appoaches in Norway, i will be glad to hear!!
I don't think Mo I rana is covered by any of the Norwegian FSX sceneries out there.But I will recomend the Norway airports package. Lots of nice places to go. Even a few you can take the 737 into.ENAT - Alta, ILS 11 circle to land rwy 29. Nice challenge in the winter. The -800 gets weight restricted when the weather is bad and you have to circle into 29.https://www.ippc.no/...ENAT_5-1_en.pdfENTC - Tromsø, ILS into rwy 01. It's pretty steep 4%, could be a challenge if you don't configure your self ahead of the slope.https://www.ippc.no/...ENTC_5-1_en.pdflink to the scenery here.http://www.flightsim...norge/1296.html
Thanks!! Will try to complete them in the next days.

in my favorite list I also have:EKVG (nice ndb - visual)LQMO (vor-dme rwy 24)LTAW (both ndb and vor-d app)LTCDLTCILTCLLYTV (loc-dme rwy 32)SLCB (vor-dme rwy 14 shows a nice double dme arc / also try vor-dme 1 rwy 32)SLTJ (vor-dme ndb 1 rwy 13)SPHO (circling is mandatory :) )SPJL (apt elev. 12552')SPJR (descent alpha ndb rwy 34)SPZO (should I say more?)VTCH (vor-dme with a beautiful 180° arc)that's all, folks ... have fun