Sign in to follow this  
Kaloyanic

Some Tower ideas...

I'm sure the MS flight team is already working on a tower system, so I'm not rushing them, just thought of a few ideas that thought would be nice, and if anyone else has some ideas please add them. So lets say we're flying as a group of 16 people to a small airport to land, I thought it would cool if one person from the group that wanted to be the control tower, could land first while the rest of the group goes into a traffic pattern around the airport, then that one person would start telling people when to land. This would help with the unruly landings where 10 people are on final at once which can cause accidents. (sorry sim pro's I'm explaining how it would work for the new people).Traffic%20Pattern%20Airplane.jpgSo the main thing I would add is a great view from the tower where you could see the entire airport and its airspace (maybe similar to the top down view but more from the side where you can change the view/angle). In fsx when in the tower you could look at one plane at a time, or do a top down view, so I think it would be nice if they add a new tower view with a great angle.

Tower view is actually in the current Cameras.cfg file, but marked as being hidden from the Cycle View sequence:CycleHidden=Yes

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm sure the MS flight team is already working on a tower system, so I'm not rushing them, just thought of a few ideas that thought would be nice, and if anyone else has some ideas please add them.So lets say we're flying as a group of 16 people to a small airport to land, I thought it would cool if one person from the group that wanted to be the control tower, could land first while the rest of the group goes into a traffic pattern around the airport, then that one person would start telling people when to land. This would help with the unruly landings where 10 people are on final at once which can cause accidents. (sorry sim pro's I'm explaining how it would work for the new people).Traffic%20Pattern%20Airplane.jpgSo the main thing I would add is a great view from the tower where you could see the entire airport and its airspace (maybe similar to the top down view but more from the side where you can change the view/angle). In fsx when in the tower you could look at one plane at a time, or do a top down view, so I think it would be nice if they add a new tower view with a great angle.
Or you could treat it as an uncontrolled airfield, announce your intentions and follow the traffic pattern like gentlemen without the need of a 'tower controller'? - This happens everyday at many real airfields.

This isn't a bad idea but that's a bit hard when you have 15 people buzzing around an airport and some of them having an attention span ranging from none to very little.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Then what makes you think they'd listen to a"tower"? :(Unfortunately, in a public server I think you'll get clowns that don't care about anyone else. The approach for un towered airports will work better in my opinion. All the pilots have to do is announce their position in the pattern or approaching the field.

so what happens
try it and tell us :Peace:

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

If i could get in tower-view then all i would need would be to change my gamer-tag to atc_khnl ... and Honolulu Intl would have live atc welcoming all to a fly-in :)-

so what happens if you change CycleHidden=Yes to CycleHidden=No?Paul
You would have a view from the closest tower locked to your aircraft in track view.You could also continue the cycle through all the other available towers in the immediate area.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

well I was thinking this for when you have a planned flight with friends, of course random people wouldn't participate

You would have a view from the closest tower locked to your aircraft in track view.
is the regular cockpit view still enabled if you do this? I will have to try this when I get home.