Sign in to follow this  
FredrikHj

Reinstall of windows without to destroy the fsx setup

HiI need to reinstall windows 7 on SSD 1 but I have FSX in another SSD and it´s addon!Is that posible to do it without to destroy the installation of fsx?What need I to do for make it possible?I am looking forward for a quick answer//Best Fredrik

Computer: Windows 10, 64-bit, Intel i9 - 10850K, Asus Rog MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI), 32GB RAM, Asus RTX3070

Game control: Home Cockpit, Keyboard, Saitek Pro Flight X56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. 

You could try the repair option (provided you don't have any add ons, which I assume you do) in the FSX set up once Windows has been reinstalled and see if that works.I wouldn't really recommend it. There'll be missing registry entries and you'll likely encounter problems of missing files down the line. Best to start fresh on a new OS installation.It can be worthwhile and gain you some more performance sometimes. I keep meaning to do it as I haven't had a clean up for more than a year but it's such a big job I can never be bothered!

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

That isn't possible.Once you reinstall W7 all registry entries for FSX and addons will be missing, and any filesstored in the application data folders will be missing as well.What is possible is once you have FSX and W7 installed the way you like to have it, make a drive image.That way you can -hopefully- restore to that state if anything goes wrong.A good program to use is f.i Acronis.Now, I have just had a nasty virus/hack attack and I couldn't use either as both the windows andthe Acronis backups were thrashed in the process.But I have used it before with good results.

As with most other games and programs nowadays, simply copying over an old install into fresh OS or different drive rarely works properly.I too delay reformats and hhd upgrades because its a major pain and time consuming to do; as a gamer, its a full day project most of the time. :(

HiThanks all for the tips and is there a way to save the fsx settings from the old setup and apply it on the new fsx installation?Fredrik

Computer: Windows 10, 64-bit, Intel i9 - 10850K, Asus Rog MAXIMUS XII HERO (WI-FI), 32GB RAM, Asus RTX3070

Yes. Actually, Fredrik, you don't need to uninstall or reinstall FSX, but you do have a bunch of files to save, plus a registry entry to make afterwards. I'll post better details in a minute or two. DON'T uninstall FSX yet. I'll be back.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

The files you need to save are:-C:\Users\(your username)\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\*.*C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\ <-- the SDKC:\Users\(your username)\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\*.* <--- Saved flights, Flight Plans, LogBook.binC:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\ <-- Scenery dataC:\Users\(your username)\AppData\ <-- C:\Users\(your username)\Documents\EZCA Profiles\ <-- if you have..C:\Users\(your username)\Application Data\EZCA\ <-- if you have..C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\ <-- if you have TrackIRHiFi (ASE) and MyTraffic also have files in C:, too, so don't forget them: do a thorough folder-by folder before you commit to the Win7 installation. Make sure you get your product purchase and license documentation and all email and email backups. At the end of the new installation go to Flight1 and download their FSX registration tool: once you run this your FSX will be registered properly. Ask again if you need more help.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Not sure if this is all you would need, but when I reinstalled windows without reinstalling FS2004, all I needed to do was run flight1's registry repair tool to add FS9 to the registry again.http://www.flight1.c...sp?page=libraryAnd of course the necessary backups listed by Paul !

That's the one, Bud thanks..I just had guests here that wouldn't go home...... :(

HiI will make a reinstallation of fsx because I have not the time to solve problem later but I will backup these new filer and reg.. entry :)Best Fredrik

If I may ask - why do you need to reinstall Windows 7, Fredrik?

That's the one, Bud thanks..I just had guests here that wouldn't go home...... :(
I installed exit signs in both the family room and kitchen area (where we all hang out) that I can blink when it's time for folks to leave. :Party:Just a thought Paul.Bob

:( :( :( B)

I installed exit signs in both the family room and kitchen area
Awesome.

If I may ask - why do you need to reinstall Windows 7, Fredrik?

Hi

I hav had a problem with my Matrox THGO2 and reinstall w7 was the only solution!

:)

Best Fredrik