Sign in to follow this  
Chfeudpail

Critical situation , help please !

Dear simmers,As most of you I spend regular time flying around with fs9 during my days OFF.I've used the same computer for the last 5 years adding regularly add-on's , a lot of ai traffic ( hundreds of airlines ) etc.... It took me probably hundreds of hours to get the config I have now !I recently got a problem with my computer where FS9 would freeze because of the UC used at 99% and now I even have a problem with my explorer.exe file.So, I brought my machine to a computer technician who told me I would need to reinstall my OS ( vista 32bit ) !He asked me if I want to save files.So my question is , is it possible not to have to reinstall everything ( add-ons etc ) on my future OS by saving the fs9 folder ? , is there a specific way to do that ?Did someone get confronted to this issue yet ?Man I cannot imagine having to spend again months rebuilding my realistic fs9 !Thanks for your comments !Cheers !Amo

Dear simmers,As most of you I spend regular time flying around with fs9 during my days OFF.I've used the same computer for the last 5 years adding regularly add-on's , a lot of ai traffic ( hundreds of airlines ) etc.... It took me probably hundreds of hours to get the config I have now !I recently got a problem with my computer where FS9 would freeze because of the UC used at 99% and now I even have a problem with my explorer.exe file.So, I brought my machine to a computer technician who told me I would need to reinstall my OS ( vista 32bit ) !He asked me if I want to save files.So my question is , is it possible not to have to reinstall everything ( add-ons etc ) on my future OS by saving the fs9 folder ? , is there a specific way to do that ?Did someone get confronted to this issue yet ?Man I cannot imagine having to spend again months rebuilding my realistic fs9 !Thanks for your comments !Cheers !Amo
Hey, yeah you can do that no problem.would highly recommend going to win764 bit now that you have to upgrade.I will post a good link on howto move your files, did it myself a few months back.Regards

Rob Prest

thanks , waiting for the link.The most important to me would be to save my ai traffic and properly migrate all the planes and flightplans.... Bcause that took me months of Traffic tools compilings....

The most important to me would be to save my ai traffic and properly migrate all the planes and flightplans
Once you save your AI aircraft folders and your traffic bgl's, you will have it back in no time.

This link is for XP to Win7 but as long as you understand the basics of where your files are stored in Vista then you shouldnt have any issues http://forum.avsim.net/topic/340076-migrating-fs9-from-xp-32bit-to-windows-7-64bit/I should point out that youwill probably have to reinstall the base package of some of your addons however once you have copied your old FS9 folders across you will have all your aircraft, traffic files etc the way they we're previously. You will probably need your activation keys for some of your payware.Regards

Rob Prest

Thanks guys , but I must admit I am not sure to understand the above link very well , I am not a computer geek.So to make it very clear :First I ask the technician to transfer my "flightsimulator9" folder and my fs9.cfg file to my external drive : so I save the data.Then I do a fresh FS9 install on my new system , let say win7 64 , and then if a replace the brand new "aircraft" and "scenery/world/scenery " folders by the ones I backed up I should recover my ai traffic ? Wouldn't I be facing registries problems etc... ?Is it crucial to replace the new fs9.cfg by the old one or should I keep the new one ?For the payware and sceneries I would rather do a fresh install again.Cheers !

Hehe, I wouldnt exactly call myself a geek ;) Yes install FS9 on the new system, install your base AI program, or any other scenery, aircraft you want. Activate the products then copy your entire FS9 folder across to the new install.Regards

Rob Prest

I had to do that some time back. I backed everything up, including the separate folders where I have AFCAD and TTOOLS located. Do the install of FS9, and then download and install the upgrade from Microsoft. After that, if you use a "no-disk" version, put that on.Copy in your old Aircraft folder and Addon Scenery folder. Copy the old scenery.cfg file. If you've added phrases with EditVoicePack, then bring the old file for that over, too. You can either copy in your traffic.bgl files, or re-compile them.

Here's what I did last week. Had to reinstall everything because I got a new Hard drive. First step is to back up your complete FS9 folder. Usually that's only possible on a big external HDD. Then you need to save your FS9.cfg, as pointed out by others. After backing everything up and reinstalling Windows, all the drivers etc., I installed a clean fresh version of FS9. Then I started to rebuild the basics from the ground, it's just like building a house really ;)First the world textures with REX overdrive, Schockwave3D lights, enbseries-mod. Then FSGlobal, GE, UT and FSUIPC etc. After that I modified my new cfg according to the entries in the old one. I felt more comfortable with editing the new one rather then just replacing it with the old. Next step was to copy all AI aircraft and traffic bgl's from my old installation (that was a looot). Just to make sure I didn't miss anything, I copied my old texture and effects folder over without overwriting anything. After that came the addon aircraft like PMDG, Ifly and so on. I installed them with their respective installer and updates, since they create registry entries and you won't be able to just copy them over. AFTER I used the installer however, I took my old aircraft folder with the aircraft.cfg and repaints and copied it into the new installation, so I didn't have to reinstall all the liveries. Then you're basically good to go and can start to install all the sceneries you have. Some require an installation from the original installer, others just can be copied over. Another tip is to back up your complete vanilla FS installation, just in case some program overwrites files from FS you don't want to be overwritten.Then you have the original files backed up. I also found it helpful to log all changes, installations and modifications to your FS installation. Every time I install anything in my FS I log it in a file with what I installed, what version number, what modules/gauges were installed/changed and so on. This proved to be very helfpul not only to keep track of what is inside your FS and rebuild it later, but also to identify any errors like OOM's or so caused by faulty files.Believe me, I was having the same fears you are facing regarding a fresh installation of FS9. Mine was also the work of years, hundreds of GB's and a lot of modifying and tweaking. But now I'm even happier than before, took the chance to install a new texture set and will have fun with my Sim for some time to come. Good luck with your reinstallation!

Just 1 tip for you,When you back up your FS9.cfg, don't replace the new created one with the old one, rather open the new created one and paste all the info from your old one. I had a major issues with this at one point, and have been told after to do the above so just paste all the info using the newly created FS9.cfg.Hope this helpRegards

Dear guys ,I just updated my computer , I now have a :ASUS P8Z68 motherboard, Corei7 2500, 3.5Ghz, Caviar green HDD 1T, N560GTX Ti HAWK gpu, 8GIGs RAM DDR3, Windows 7 64bit.I must say that's a huge difference ! I'am having 80FPS ( cause I blocked it @80fps ) cruising and not less than 25fps in the most extremes places in FS9.1 ! whit all the slides to the right.I followed your recommandations and could recover my previous FS9 settings in just a few hours ! Thanks again guy's !Happy landings.Amaury

Is that a I7 2500K? If so you can overclock that to 4.7ghz easily, I can run FSX without any problems on the same CPU. As you say no addon within FS9 can slow it down.Regards

Rob Prest

Definitely head over to the hardware or PMDG forum, you have a lot of power in that machine that can be easily unlocked.

Rob Prest