Sign in to follow this  
Sigmar

OS will sell its 737s

Ryanair will always be there ;)

Until comes the time to upgrade. I hear they are interested in upcoming Chinese short/medium haul jets.

Yes, that sucks, and any news stating that yet another European carrier abandones their NG aircraft make me cringe.In the case of Austrian the move over to Airbus was a question of time after Lufthansa had acquired them. Makes me wonder how much longer Lufthansa will run their classic 737s.

Until A320 Neos come. 2015 or something.

Boeing has one VERY strong argument going for them: Fleet commonality. RYR only needs to have spare parts and engineers for 1 type of aircraft. They need to maintain ±305 738s, but it's a LOT cheaper to maintain those, than it would be to maintain 150 A320s and 150 738s. (For example)

Not really... at those numbers, the prices of stocking different parts and having different crews is not that different.

It makes a difference whether you stock one set of spares for your fleet of a couple NGs, or you stock two sets for your NGs and Airbii, but when you stock tens and tens, if not hundreds, it does not make that much difference, as long as you keep some logic in basing.

I would say ability to turn the aircraft seamlessly along the whole network would be more important for FR, but it is not that much of a dealbreaker. Simply put, they would be more worried about having two seatcounts in their fleet than two types... IMHO.

Until comes the time to upgrade. I hear they are interested in upcoming Chinese short/medium haul jets.

Actually, Ryanair just signed a contract with Boeing to purchase 175 new NG's...They won't be going anywhere else for quite a while.

http://www.aviatime.com/commercial-aviation/commercial-aviation-news/operators/6973-ryanair,-boeing-complete-purchase-agreement-for-175-737-800s

Not really... at those numbers, the prices of stocking different parts and having different crews is not that different.

It makes a difference whether you stock one set of spares for your fleet of a couple NGs, or you stock two sets for your NGs and Airbii, but when you stock tens and tens, if not hundreds, it does not make that much difference, as long as you keep some logic in basing.

I would say ability to turn the aircraft seamlessly along the whole network would be more important for FR, but it is not that much of a dealbreaker. Simply put, they would be more worried about having two seatcounts in their fleet than two types... IMHO.

You left out the rest of my post, which was also part of the commonality issue, and is a much bigger investment. Knowing RYR, they're are splitting and resplitting pennies.

Way too few NGs here in Europe (except for Ryanair). Boeing needs to do a better sales job over here, otherwise we will soon have an Airbus monoculture.

Dave P. Woycek

Makes me wonder how much longer Lufthansa will run their classic 737s.

Well, eff Jul01 Lufthansa have GermanWings for all flights not heading for/from the hubs in EDDF/FRA and EDDM/MUC, and they fly A319s... 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

in a recent interview of Michael O'Leary about the new order from ryanair for 175 new NGs he said:

We prefer the boeing aircraft only because it has more seats. The 800 has 189 seats, the A320 has only got 180 and those 9 extra seats when you're flying them 6-8 times a day make a big difference. That's why Ryanair has a unique cost and price advantage over every other Airbus competitor in Europe.

i also remember him saying he wanted to get rid of the toilets to place in some extra seats. that's what he's after

The 738 has only been certified for 189 seats. Even if RYR wanted, and I'm sure they do, they simply are not allowed to install more seats, without sending the plane through another certification process.

Not gonna happen for the NG. Maybe for the MAX, but it's just not worth it for the NG.

The 738 has only been certified for 189 seats. Even if RYR wanted, and I'm sure they do, they simply are not allowed to install more seats, without sending the plane through another certification process.

Not gonna happen for the NG. Maybe for the MAX, but it's just not worth it for the NG.

yes he admitted the regulators won't let him do that, but:

We’re trying to push Boeing to re-certify the aircraft for six more seats, particularly for short-haul flights. We very rarely use all three toilets on board our aircraft anyway.

he has even suggested that passengers should pay to use the toilets  :O or some other weird ideas to charge overweight passengers  :fool:

Well about paying for toilet usage and other things often mentioned by Michael O'Leary, like his suggestion to remove one pilot from the Cockpit.

He knows that is never gonna happen (at least not soon). However, he knows that every news paper, many tv news and a lot pages in the www will rumor about it. And that's what he is after:

Free advertisment. Any reputation is good reputation (not always, but often).

I have read an interview of him, where he explains his tactics. I will try to find it.

Back to topic: A pitty that Austrian has no 737 anymore. I have never been able to fly with one,.. If I think about it I have never flown with my national airline Austrian. lol

"There's no such thing as bad publicity."

But if RYR wants Boeing to go through the recertification process for 6 extra seats, guess who'll need to pick up the bill? As far as I know, RYR is the only airline that said they would want to have six more seats.

But it does indeed rank up there with the "one pilot" and "pay to go to the lavatory" rumours.

In any case, those three lavatories on board are desperately needed. When one goes INOP, it's very very much noticeable.

^^^Since it's RYR, they would prolly drill a hole in the plane to make up for that lost lavatory.

Yet again Boeing will be the one which will face recertification problems :D.