Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Flight's First 3rd Party Addon...

Wow, those wizards at FSWidgets has done it again! This is really cool!FSWidgets releases GMap for Microsoft Flight-------------------------------------------- FSWidgets have released what may be the first addon for MS Flight. The FSWidgets GMap family of products has been expanded to now include full support for MS Flight and the Hawaii locale. GMap is a freeware Google Maps based Moving Map and charts viewer supporting FS2004, FSX, X-Plane 9, X-Plane 10 and now Microsoft Flight. Please visit the Downloads page on FSWidgets site - http://fswidgets.com--------------------------------------------I just tried this out and it is really slick. Now I can make use of my second monitor again and have a "moving map" to add to my situational awareness.How nice of Fermin and Company to make this FREE!flightgmap01cropped.jpgFull Screen image here:http://img545.images...tgmap000001.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I dont really know, thats why I asked :) Don't know even how it works, and didnt read Flight EULA.Looks very nice, will try it for sure.Sincerely, the forum cockroach

This is VERY cool!!! As for legalities, as long as it does not modify Flight in any way, MS cant do anything. If it passively reads location data that Flight spits out openly, its fair game! Im no legal expert though, but I dont see a problem. I doubt MS will hold it against you at all for using it since it in no way allows you to cheat or gain an unfair advantage.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Very cool. Thanks to FSWidgets. :Applause:The spare monitor might get back to work, finally.Correction: The spare monitor got back to work.

This is VERY cool!!! As for legalities, as long as it does not modify Flight in any way, MS cant do anything. If it passively reads location data that Flight spits out openly, its fair game! Im no legal expert though, but I dont see a problem. I doubt MS will hold it against you at all for using it since it in no way allows you to cheat or gain an unfair advantage.
All it does is read the lat/lon coordinates of the user's aircraft, by reading known memory offsets.The only "downside" is that you must run Flight in "Windowed Mode" (i.e., not full screen). I've found though that you can easily stretch the Flight's window to fill the main monitor, then launch GMap, move it to your second monitoir if you have one, then "Connect" to Flight.
Very cool. Thanks to FSWidgets. :Applause:The spare monitor might get back to work, finally.Correction: The spare monitor got back to work.
For my screenshots I moved GMap back to my main 42" monitor. Normally I'll keep in on my side monitor.I hope that soon they'll have it available for my Android tablet as well as an iPad application.I also posted this in the Flight beta forum earlier. The only thing that the Flight team might wish is that Fermin had used Bing rather than Google for the map! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

I also posted this in the Flight beta forum earlier. The only thing that the Flight team might wish is that Fermin had used Bing rather than Google for the map!
I had the same feeling.The aircraft Icon is a bit yawed (Just did an ILS), but heck, this is great.

The aircraft Icon is a bit yawed (Just did an ILS), but heck, this is great.
It does seem to be skewed just a few degrees counter-clockwise, but I'm not fussed about that! :Peace:It certainly adds a lot to the enjoyment having a map one can view.I had to remember to disable "Pause when window looses focus" to allow me to adjust the map display.I just discovered that it will load the weather stations. Clicking on the stations displayed will give you the current RW Metar and/or TAF.I haven't tried the Flight Plan feature yet, but being able to load an FSX flightplan and display it will at the very least allow one to follow the plan while flying manually. :)

Fr. Bill    

The aircraft Icon is a bit yawed (Just did an ILS), but heck, this is great.
MagVar? :blink:

MagVar?
Don't think so:Lihue Airport RWY 21 heading 214 magnetic, 225 trueSouce: http://www.airnav.com/airport/PHLI HUD displays 215° Mag.RV compass reading is 215°GMAP aircraft icon is pointing to somewhere around 208-209°

What's odd is that if you note in my screenshot, the GMap Icon is pointing correctly according to the the direction of the Maule......but now when I walked into the flightsim room I notice that the GMap Icon is slightly counter-clockwise from where it was! :Doh:But, I'm not complaining about a few degrees. I'm just tickled pink to have this FREE addon!

Fr. Bill    

Don't get me wrong guys.Skewed or not this add-on is just great, and as you said Bill I'm also "just tickled pink to have this FREE addon! "

Don't get me wrong guys.Skewed or not this add-on is just great.
One of the other neat tricks we can do. Disconnect GMap from Flight, then use the "mouse hand" to slide the map around. In either Sat or Hybrid view, you can quickly scroll around looking for "interesting stuff..." :Peace:

Fr. Bill