Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Flight's First 3rd Party Addon...

Interesting, I wonder if they would be willing to disclose the memory locations they are scanning. I want to do this same thing, but as a WP7 app, the only thing that has stopped me is that I don't really care to do the reverse engineering of the proper memory locations needed.

Don't think so:Lihue Airport RWY 21 heading 214 magnetic, 225 trueSouce: http://www.airnav.com/airport/PHLIHUD displays 215° Mag.RV compass reading is 215°GMAP aircraft icon is pointing to somewhere around 208-209°
Yeah, yeah, was just making a funny. :Nerd:

Thanks n4gix for pointing ad this feature. really a nice 'gadget' for free. Remembers me at the handy posibities of FSX with various panels one could open on the second monitor.

Well Aaron, you can always ask Fermin Fernandez... just as a guess though, I suspect that they aren't too different from what is used by FSX, for which the information from Pete's FSUIPC SDK docs might provide a clue. :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good point. I was going to hold off until there was an SDK to play around with it, but seeing this really gets the wheels turning.

The only "downside" is that you must run Flight in "Windowed Mode" (i.e., not full screen). I've found though that you can easily stretch the Flight's window to fill the main monitor, then launch GMap, move it to your second monitoir if you have one, then "Connect" to Flight.
Looks like a very nice find there Bill, thanks for the heads up on it.I am afraid that downside though will probably prevent me from using it - I much prefer running Flight in full screen. I flew a job yesterday I think it was, and ran it in windowed mode as I wanted to observe perfomance data, this allowed me to view Precision, Realtemp, and my cpu/ram usage meter whilst flying. I did stretch the window to the max I could, but still just can't get into that mode with the taskbar and title bar...Plus from my observation it would appear at least, my performance may have dropped somewhat in windowed mode...

There's a trick to move the top bar off-screen, but truthfully it doesn't bother me enough to use the trick... :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

Well as things progress and there may be more I would like to have available to me on my second monitor - perhaps I will consider going to windowed mode. I did the full job flight yesterday while in windowed mode, about an hour or so - couldn't wait to get back to full screen though. Shame Flight dedicates and reserves the second monitor in full screen for itself, like FSX - but then in FSX can use it for 2d panels. Maybe Flight plans on utilizing that second monitor " down the road".

The problem is that since GMap is an external program with its own window, and cannot be a "child window" within Flight's window, only one window at a time can be displayed in "full screen."This is actually a limitation of Windows, and has been that way since Win 3.0 was released...What is odd though is that Flight "seizes control" over any and all other video ports, preventing them from being used for other applications. For example, at the moment I have AVSIM running on my main dev desk monitor, my email client running on my right sideboard monitor, and Max 9 running on my left sideboard monitor!What I haven't tried yet is to remark out the secondary entry in the Flight.cfg file so Flight won't "see" my other monitor... I'll have to give that a try tomorrow. :Nerd:

Fr. Bill    

What is odd though is that Flight "seizes control" over any and all other video ports, preventing them from being used for other applications. For example, at the moment I have AVSIM running on my main dev desk monitor, my email client running on my right sideboard monitor, and Max 9 running on my left sideboard monitor!
Yes very common for me to have programs running on both monitors as well.Most other games/sims I have, do not sieze control of that secondary monitor like Flight/FSX do.

Is it legal
I will make it legal... :LMAO:
Sincerely, the forum cockroach
LOL... I just saw that...g_p u u u... I never said you were the forum cockroach. :LMAO: sry but that caught me by surprise and quite funny the way you put it.My point in that thread... those threads are prime time targets for people who want to vent their emotional frustration because FLIGHT is not the sim they expected it to be... some not even have downloaded to see for themselves what it is about but still make the wacky comments...So some threads (like the locked one and the thread re: JH interview) are akin to turning off the lights and watching certain "cockroach posts" come out.Btw, I hate hijacking the thread for this, but I don't like making posts just to be making posts... certainly don't want to start a new thread about this.Now... time to find a hearty rendition of "La Cucaracha" on youtube. :Big Grin:

The good thing is Flight runs amazingly well in window mode. Even over multiple monitors (with the proper video card). Ill play with this tonight.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

The good thing is Flight runs amazingly well in window mode. Even over multiple monitors (with the proper video card). Ill play with this tonight.
In the one flight app 1 hour I did in windowed mode, I seemed to have some micro-stuttering that I normally would not see when over dense terrain. Hard to judge by just that one flight though.

Could other 3rd party developments be far behind ?I am just curious as to how MS might feel about this.