Sign in to follow this  
Chase

Home Built Aircraft

This is another good one.http://youtu.be/6vICf8l-KV0At my previous job we were around helicopters a lot. One day we were being picked up in a helicopter from where we landed the King Air and while he was flying us around I asked about ground resonance he said it was a simple fix and all that needed to be done was lift the helicopter back in the air by a few inches and set it back down. The scarier thing to me is dynamic roll over because once you pass the point of no return it's gone and you become a passenger.http://youtu.be/XWpeFY53qWM

I Purchased a fully built kitplane(RV 9-a) from a guy who was an A&P and Avionics Installer. The price/performance ratio is fantastic. You have to have some faith in the person you are buying from, and he and another guy do all the maintenance. For me it's worked out great.There are so many Experimentals out there now that you can easily find a shop that will build if for you for a premium and set it up anyway you want.

The scarier thing to me is dynamic roll over because once you pass the point of no return it's gone and you become a passenger.

It also doesn't help when your left main gets caught in the deck edge safety (man-overboard) netting. Look at around 0:28 in the video. The left main has the netting and frame wrapped around the gear.Not really a dynamic rollover event more of an obstacle entanglement.Mass bumping has always scared me the most.Back to the topic.Most kit manufacturers, RW & FW, offer quick build kits and builder assistance. The goal is to have you build your aircraft safely.Rotorway makes a great kit and offer really good make and model flight training. In fact Jeff Dunham has built numerous kits from Rotorway and speaks really highly of them.Biggest thing in a kit is deal with manufacturers (A/C & all components) that has been around a long time. RV, KitFox, Rotorway, etc. You don't want to be half-way through a build and lose all factory support. Thunder Mustang and NSI Aero (Subaru Turbo Kits) are prime examples.Good luck in whatever avenue you choose and remember aviation is only as safe as you make it.

Ground resonance is pretty rare, but some models seem to be more susceptible than others. It's usually the result of improperly serviced tires, struts, or lead-lag dampers in the rotorhead. And yes, getting airborne again will immediately resolve the problem. If you can't get airborne (because you're chained down to a flight deck, for example), you have to immediately shut down the engines and slam on the rotor brake. Dynamic rollover is still a major cause of broken helicopters. I've seen that last video with the Frog more times than I'd like. Lots of lessons learned there. Dynamic rollover is just about always pilot-induced. You absolutely cannot accept any lateral drift in a helicopter landing or takeoff. You also have to be careful landing and taking off from sloped surfaces. Flying helos isn't entirely crazy, but they are a bit less forgiving due to the higher mechanical and aerodynamic complexity, and the closer proximity to the ground. I often thought I wasn't really flying the helicopter, but just stopping it from crashing itself for long enough to get to where we were going. Don't forget, though, that airplanes can still kill you, too. Every single flight in any kind of aircraft has to be approached with respect, caution, preparedness, and discipline in order to be done safely. Save the crazy stuff for the sim!

"Don't forget, though, that airplanes can still kill you, too. Every single flight in any kind of aircraft has to be approached with respect, caution, preparedness, and discipline in order to be done safely. Save the crazy stuff for the sim! "Oh absolutely.One thing that struck me in that vid of the chinook tipping over; wouldn't there have been a very uneven ground effect there, as the aircraft moved partially over the carrier deck, which would tend to tip it over in the direction it went?

One thing that struck me in that vid of the chinook tipping over; wouldn't there have been a very uneven ground effect there, as the aircraft moved partially over the carrier deck, which would tend to tip it over in the direction it went?
That may have played a small part but the aircraft becoming entangled in the safety netting is what caused the uncontrollable roll. The flight crew attempted an emergency egress but didn't realize they were entangled. It was completely pilot error.The Marine pilot came in too low and too hot for the LZ and impacted short. Fun fact the ship waved off the CH-46 (Sea Knight) several times before the impact. This accident is now part of NATOPS training for ship/carrier quals.

That may have played a small part but the aircraft becoming entangled in the safety netting is what caused the uncontrollable roll. The flight crew attempted an emergency egress but didn't realize they were entangled. It was completely pilot error.The Marine pilot came in too low and too hot for the LZ and impacted short. Fun fact the ship waved off the CH-46 (Sea Knight) several times before the impact. This accident is now part of NATOPS training for ship/carrier quals.
I feel pressed to ask, did anyone survive that incident?

I think the pilots made it out okay. But there were a lot of Marines in the back wearing heavy gear who didn't really stand a chance. I think this accident also led to the requirement for Marines to undergo dunker training prior to a shipboard deployment.