Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

Anybody using OpenScenery and OSM2XP?....OMG!

Something with those files on that link is off, or they are incomplete.I just built Bakersfield here in Central California and the total size is over 100mb for that city alone, however, that site has California listed as 10mb.Any ideas, anybody?
These files have been built last year. OpenStreetMap is improving very fast in some countries. This may explain the difference. Old versions of OSM2XP did not build the sceneries like the latest release. Options like streetlights (interesting in X-Plane 9) can also change a lot the size of the files.

These files have been built last year. OpenStreetMap is improving very fast in some countries. This may explain the difference. Old versions of OSM2XP did not build the sceneries like the latest release. Options like streetlights (interesting in X-Plane 9) can also change a lot the size of the files.
Ahh, ok. That makes sense then.When I uses OSM2XP to "Build" my scenery, should I "Exclude" anything? I have it set to "Exclude" objects since I believe it was stated to do so in a readme somewhere. Is this cirrect? Is there anything else I should know when configuring?On a side note: Just a heads up for others, I used the GEOFABRIK site for California and the file was over 400mb in size. While it is building I noticed that it has been creating a LOT of buildings and forests so the results should look pretty good. I'll report back what it looks like if anybody is interested. Thanks for the help!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Yeah scenery.osm2xp.com is hosting old files, it's better to generate them yourself with the tool.@Arklight1 The export mode of openStreetMap website is only good for a quick test, if you want to generate a complete city/country, use a file from those sites (.pbf when available) :http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/http://downloads.cloudmade.com/About exclusions you should at least exclude OBJ , or you will have generated buildings mixed with xplane autogen.If you're generating forests you should also exclude FOR.

Yeah scenery.osm2xp.com is hosting old files, it's better to generate them yourself with the tool.@Arklight1 The export mode of openStreetMap website is only good for a quick test, if you want to generate a complete city/country, use a file from those sites (.pbf when available) :http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/http://downloads.cloudmade.com/
Hey Ben, looks like I was posting at the same time as you. lolI just checked out the California file at GEOFABRIK and it sure is creating a lot of buildings and whatnot. Can't wait to check it out.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

How do I build these downloaded files ? I have OSM2XP

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Yeah scenery.osm2xp.com is hosting old files, it's better to generate them yourself with the tool.About exclusions you should at least exclude OBJ , or you will have generated buildings mixed with xplane autogen.If you're generating forests you should also exclude FOR.
Thats good, I still left the tool running after I downloaded the old hosted information. It's 7 hours in to it right now. The bad news, for me, is thatI am generating buildings, objects and forests but I have not excluded anything. I didnt realise I should have (but I didnt read any docs!) So, just to understand this correctly. As I have ticked forests and objects in the 'generated items' section I should also tick them in the 'scenery exclusions' section?Thanks!

@ Ironmaiden.It comes down to the quality of OSM data in your area of interest. France(where MdMax lives is complete), some other parts of world and the UK are the same way. I live in central Florida, and the database for my part of the world is no where near as good.

@ Ironmaiden.It comes down to the quality of OSM data in your area of interest. France(where MdMax lives is complete), some other parts of world and the UK are the same way. I live in central Florida, and the database for my part of the world is no where near as good.
I live in Mumbai - India , and i have tried OSM2XP before and again recently at areas near my home airport VABB and what i see after compilation is there are hardly any buildings showing up so probably openstreetmap still does not have the buildings. But what about the files from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/ there are three files for my state that is Maharashtra how would I use those files ?

With the next osm2xp version you will be able to use esri shapefiles (.shp), you will then be able to generate some US cities that are empty in openStreetMap database (i found chicago, seattle, hawaii, etc... just search google for "buildings shapefiles", "buildings shp", "cadastral shp", this kind of stuff, or directly go to the gis website of a city/country/state to look if you can found a buildings shapefile )@Jason Harris, yes you should exclude the things you are generating to prevent the mix of osm2xp and xplane stuff.

@Jason Harris, yes you should exclude the things you are generating to prevent the mix of osm2xp and xplane stuff.
Thanks, I will restart the tool, again lol. This time I will move it from the mac on to a faster windows pc as well as downloading the pbf which was available on the german ftp site.Thanks!

I live in Mumbai - India , and i have tried OSM2XP before and again recently at areas near my home airport VABB and what i see after compilation is there are hardly any buildings showing up so probably openstreetmap still does not have the buildings.But what about the files from http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/ there are three files for my state that is Maharashtra how would I use those files ?
Well, you need to know a bit more about OpenStreetmap ... The best way to do is, to go to their site http://www.openstreetmap.org/ , and check out - visually! - how your region of interest looks. You can look at it in the browser, and immediately see, how much information is there (or is not there). For example, you definitely see, if there are buildings or not. In the end, this is exactly what you get from geofabrik (they just periodically export the same data - in different formats and chunks).In the long run, you can fire up an OSM editor, and start populating your town (like, adding in the missing buildings). But if you do this, please first learn a bit about OSM in general ... and that its not meant as a playground, where someone can just splat in some lines and polygons. Its a serious, community based mapping approach which aims to have at least some minimum quality standards (even if quite a few users seem to ignore this ... which you only recognize when you look at the data).

Well, you need to know a bit more about OpenStreetmap ... The best way to do is, to go to their site http://www.openstreetmap.org/ , and check out - visually! - how your region of interest looks. You can look at it in the browser, and immediately see, how much information is there (or is not there). For example, you definitely see, if there are buildings or not. In the end, this is exactly what you get from geofabrik (they just periodically export the same data - in different formats and chunks).
Ah ok thanks . Well i saw the difference between the manually created Osm by me and the one download from geofabrik, the manually downloaded one did show any buildings at the airport but the geofabrik one does show.

France(where MdMax lives is complete), some other parts of world and the UK are the same way.
It's still not complete in the department/region where I live, but I'm working on it. :( I stopped counting the towns and villages and roads I've added in OpenStreetMap.Performance tip: please be careful with the LOD setting inside OSM2XP: In X-Plane 9 you can set this to 15000 (15 kilometers). Do you really need to see buildings from a greater distance ? In X-Plane 10 I'm using a 30000 LOD setting (30 km), because far buildings get transparent.Happy flying.

Does anybody know if this tool will generate airport buildings?I understand it depends on what data is available in OSM. But will I get airport buildings if this data available? Or airports can't be populated with this tool?Thanks.

But will I get airport buildings if this data available?
Yes.But this is sometimes a problem: if airport buildings don't have the right tags, you'll see these OSM2XP buildings on top of your add-on airports.