Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Real time wind map of the US

I though this was cool: http://hint.fm/wind/

Unfortunately, it is only surface winds.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Very cool. Kind of like watching a Lava Lamp

Cheers

Matthew Kane

How do you suppose this can be accurately mapped on such a large scale?

How do you suppose this can be accurately mapped on such a large scale?

Most likely by gathering the wind information from the many weather stations across the USA and building a simulated model based on that information. It is great piece of computer programing.

The programmer has called this an 'art project' and the data is gathered from National Digital Forecast Database, he claims his model to be as accurate as possible.

Matthew Kane

Most likely by gathering the wind information from the many weather stations across the USA and building a simulated model based on that information. It is great piece of computer programing.

The programmer has called this an 'art project' and the data is gathered from National Digital Forecast Database, he claims his model to be as accurate as possible.

Wonderful data visualization

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Yes, thank you! It is too cool, although I hope the artists work wasn't funded by the U.S. government!

Yes, thank you! It is too cool, although I hope the artists work wasn't funded by the U.S. government!

The government has funded art for a long time and will continue to do so. My hometown sets aside 1% of a projects total cost to commission art works for the project. http://www.ci.redmond.wa.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=7035 Many cities are like that around the country.

If Americans don't do art....then America will leave nothing behind for future generations to see.

Every great nation or empire in the history of the world has left it's art and culture behind as it's footprint in history. This is how they have shown their influence on the world.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was commisioned by Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor to do Die Entführung aus dem Serail. So USA spending on the arts is nothing new. Even if you don't know that piece by Mozart, you have at least heard of him, and the guy has been dead for over 200 years now. So this is how Art has an influence over time.

Every member on AVSIM comes from a country in the world that contributes art and culture in some way (mine included).

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Yes, ytzpilot, I've heard of him. And the examples you site have nothing to do with the American government although I understand what you're trying to say, and your last line has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. Maybe when you get a little older, you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

Yes, ytzpilot, I've heard of him. And the examples you site have nothing to do with the American government although I understand what you're trying to say, and your last line has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. Maybe when you get a little older, you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

Everything he said was accurate and a valid point on why countries should commission works of art.

I'd rather not debate over the internet USA Government Spending on the Arts with someone from New Jersey.

My Mother was born in New Jersey so if I wanted to debate this I would just call her instead. :LMAO:

Everything he said was accurate and a valid point on why countries should commission works of art.

Thanks Chris

Matthew Kane

That wasn't the point of this thread . . . and I had no intention to debate.

That wasn't the point of this thread . . . and I had no intention to debate.

But you made it a point in your post and that is why we commented on it.

Glad you liked the link. I work at an organization that is doing a lot of experimentation with data visualization. Unfortunately, I am not one of the "artists" in the office. I'm still using Excel and choropleth maps. I guess I am a nerd in training.

Here is another website for this type of stuff:

http://www.floatingsheep.org/

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad